German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place, if not can a moderator move this thread where it belongs? Thanks.

I just heard about this breed, Utonagans. They're a mix of Malamutes, Huskies and GSDs, and they apparently have inherited all the "best" traits from all three. Oh, and they're freakin' gorgeous animals.

(images shamelessly stolen from Google)

They're apparently really really rare and I couldn't find a breeder or club in the United States (I'm not thinking about adopting, just curious), so has anyone here had any experiences with these dogs?

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
You see a lot of them in shelters - not purposefully bred as a breed, but people do tend to let those breeds get together a lot. A Malamute rescue I know of has had a couple of pregnant mom/litters that they pulled that have been at the least Mal-GSD.

As far as best traits, I am not sure that's possible? You could get the dog aggression of a Mal, the more civil side of a GSD, and the prey drive of a Husky...right?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yeah, that husky urge to run and prey drive is hard to counteract... Mal have a urge to run also, if I'm not mistaking? And we all know that GSD's can have large prey drives...

They are nice dogs, had a GSD/Husky mix male when I was living at home. he was pretty good dog but had no real training, had no idea how to go about doing any of that... and he was a runner. Nice dog, never aggressive, ever w/ anyone... though he scared some ppl just because of his size. Husky height, thicker like a GSD. I named him Keaton because his ears were so big, he looked like a bat and I didn't want to name him Batman so Keaton, after Michael Keaton... though Jerry Lee was also considered.... yeah, that's how long ago.

Anywooo.. he was never able to be trusted off leash.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Have you read the history or their origin? They are far from being a breed - they have only been around for a little over twenty years, and the founding stock were rescue dogs of no known origin. More like an attempt by someone to breed a wolf look-alike because they "look cool", and indeed, the original breeder was promoting them as wolf-hybrids, though there is no wolf in them. The Wikipedia article also mentions that the dogs are regularly bred back to the founding stock to maintain type - with only five dogs, with no know medical history as a foundation, how long before medical issues start to bottle-neck and compound?

Giving mixed breeds an unique name, and starting up a "Society" does not make the dog a "new breed".

Lots of lovely malamute/shepherd/other crosses available in shelters galore . . . why breed them on purpose? They are being promoted not as working dogs, but friendly family companions - again, rescues and shelters are just overflowing with nice, wolfie-looking, stable, friendly dogs that would excel as family companions - people should look there first.

And I don't believe that twenty years of breeding is enough to set the temperament of the dogs to make the claim that they have only inherited the good traits of each breed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts