German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We finished our last leg on Thursday!! I was elated!

We have worked so hard for so long. We trained for 2 years and have went to various trials the past 6 months. We've had our struggles. There was always one or two things that caused us to NQ. Success does not come easy. If it did, it wouldn't feel so special. I kept my focus and persevered.

What I wasn't prepared for was the "let down" that follows when you reach your goal. The fun is in the journey trying to get there! The best cure for that is to set new goals. So, we're going to take a break this week and get back at it.................we have a lot of work to do to earn a UDX.

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
Congratulations!

Enjoy your break, do something just flat out for fun with your dog. It sounds like the two of you enjoy training so getting back to more will be fun, too.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
What an incredible accomplishment! I'm so happy for you! :)

Congratulations!!!

Re: the letdown - the good news is you have a German shepherd and you can do some tracking, herding, lure coursing, dock diving, barn hunt, etc. and chase that UDX. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the kind words!!!!

Yes, German Shepherds can do it all! It would be fun to learn something new too.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Outstanding, congrats!

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Congrats!!! Utility is impressive!

I'll tell you a story: I was new to the obedience/training world, but got involved in SchH/IPO with my rescue, Keeta - because she sooooo needed the work and training. Had a log of fun along the way.

First time I went to see a CKC (Canadian) obedience trial, I wasn't all that impressed, because, hey - my mutt can do same. Dogs did work well, but I'm thinking to myself: hey, my rescue can do that, and this, and that, and that too - then the Utility dogs came out - hoo BOY! My mouth dropped, I was IMPRESSED! The exercised were hard, I could see just how much training it would have taken to get to Utility level, let alone manage the 3 Q's for a title.

So CONGRATS!!! Huge accomplishement!

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Awesome!!! You have one of a select few GSDs to reach this level. Congratulations to both of you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts