German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our puppy is now 16 weeks and we got her at 8. Not long after we got her we noticed a greenish mucus when she would pee. The vet didn’t seem concerned said it could be normal. Than another week goes by and we are noticing a rash around her area, under her armpits, in her ears. So we see the vet again and bring a urine sample with us. She has bacteria in her urine and they said it could have started with the rash and worked it’s way in. So they put her on antibiotics, the rash was gone but still had bacteria. They put her on another round of antibiotics. She has now been off of them for a week now and still has the mucus. We see the vet tomorrow and I will take another urine sample. But just curious what everyone here thinks. Is the mucus part of UTI? Or could it be another problem? I also figured all of it should have been gone after 2 rounds of antibiotics. What is everyone’s thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hello Harley,

I am dealing with something similar with my girl. I took her to the vet this past Friday for an eval and they agree with me and think it may be vaginitis. I know puppies can get this before their first heat (called juvenile vaginitis if you want to look it up), so this might be a possibility in your case. I'm not sure if a skin cytology might bring up anything different than a urine sample. I think I've heard UTIs can have a mucus like discharge, but the common symptoms are what come up on Google -urinating often, straining to go or pain when going.

Mine we're treating with Clavamox 2x a day. I have been giving her some cranberry treats which was recommended by a trainer for urinary tract health. I haven't seen much change, but it is only the 3rd day of ABs for us.

I hope the vet has some answers for you tomorrow, and someone else might be able to offer some possible explanations for you. :smile2:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Yes, mucus can be a sign of a UTI. It can also be a sign of a vaginal infection. Other signs of a UTI: bacteria and blood in the urine.

There are many causes for UTIs. Sometimes the way the vulva is positioned causes it to get contaminated by feces when the dog poops. The urinary tract could be malformed in some way, too, causing the bladder to not empty fully. The dog may also have bladder or kidney stones.

You need to have the vet investigate this more thoroughly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts