German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 8wk old pup. We never crate him longer than 2 hours (8am to 10am). Well He gets crated at night too. In the morning, or anytime he gets let out of his crate, he becomes a landshark maniac. I have been using my carpeted staircase in my house (13 or so steps) to exercise him. It works great! Is this safe? It cant hurt his hips? He bunny hops mostly....

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I wouldn't use the stairs to exercise him. Ok if he's following you up and down in the normal course of the day, but not more than that.

The type of exercise we are supposed to avoid is high impact and repetitive. And I think you've got both of those going on there, particularly if a stumble/fall occurs.

Much better to have tearing around outdoors in the woods on in a large field.

Some great info is on http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/111084-proper-exercise-puppies.html

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree- stairs aren't good at this stage. Like MRL said, running on a flat surface is best. In fact, I wouldn't let Knight jumped off a deck or bottom step or out of a car. Avoid any jarring impact on the hips- he's just a baby!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, he has only gone up the steps a few times today and yesterday. Hope he is ok, there is no chance hes messed up from this is there? This is more confusing then raising a baby!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts