German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I wanted to ask about my 14 week puppy Echo and the our 9 month old cat. Echo loves to play with her and the cat does too but I'm worried about her biting down too hard on the cat. The cat is usually covered in drool. Our cat loves to play with her and they never stop which ends up with me putting the cat in the bedroom for a while to gain some peace. I was wondering what commands I can teach her while they are playing. I was thinking "gentle" and to somehow break her focus on the cat and towards me instead for a few seconds. Any tips would be really appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I would not allow rough housing between a GSD and a cat. The puppy will only get bigger and these things can escalate. I mean it sounds like your dog has good bite inhibition and it sounds like your cat is a willing participant, but that could change rapidly and it might be when your puppy weighs 80lbs.

Plus with a young pup, you want to be his main source of fun and interaction. When pups play too much with another fun dog in the house before handler focus and engagement is established they can become "doggy". You are risking your dog become "catty" lol sorry have to chuckle at that.

To be honest I do not allow much rough housing period between animals/kids etc. I let them play a little, but I teach them strong "place" commands. When i clap my hands and say "enough, go to your place" they have to. Or crate. It's at the point now where if I clap and tell them to settle they cut it out, because they know a place or crate will come next otherwise. Of course the kids go to a time out spot not a crate lol Anyway...yeah I would start teaching a place command. Gradually build up time he will stay on his mat. Reward him for just sitting there saying "good place". They get it.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
I would not allow rough housing between a GSD and a cat. The puppy will only get bigger and these things can escalate. I mean it sounds like your dog has good bite inhibition and it sounds like your cat is a willing participant, but that could change rapidly and it might be when your puppy weighs 80lbs.

Plus with a young pup, you want to be his main source of fun and interaction. When pups play too much with another fun dog in the house before handler focus and engagement is established they can become "doggy". You are risking your dog become "catty" lol sorry have to chuckle at that.

To be honest I do not allow much rough housing period between animals/kids etc. I let them play a little, but I teach them strong "place" commands. When i clap my hands and say "enough, go to your place" they have to. Or crate. It's at the point now where if I clap and tell them to settle they cut it out, because they know a place or crate will come next otherwise. Of course the kids go to a time out spot not a crate lol Anyway...yeah I would start teaching a place command. Gradually build up time he will stay on his mat. Reward him for just sitting there saying "good place". They get it.
In addition: also put the cat away. I know how they are prone to tease a crated dog by sitting in front of the crate or on top, pawing through the crate etc etc. During my private training visits with clients every cat in every household would interfere with the training, even the neighbor cats during walking exercises. There were no exceptions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Our previous shepherd looked very much like him when he was a pup and the breeder called him a silver sable. This is what he ended up looking like as an adult (happily ensconced on our bed).

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts