German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else did this.

Sania has been very helpful in helping me train Ozzy, particularly with fetch. Ozzy had a tendency to leave the ball *just* out of reach. I hate having to get up and get the ball.

Sania knows what "I can't reach it" means. Every time I say it, she'll grab her ball and throw it at me, or push it to me with her nose.

Before, I would sit there and wait for Ozzy to bring me his ball on his own. But he'd get distracted and go do something else, so that didn't work very well. Until I brought Sania into the picture. Now when he leaves his ball where I can't reach it, I just throw hers until he brings it to me. Watching her chasing after her ball and getting to play is no fun for him! So he'll grab his ball and bring it to me. Every time he grabs it, I say, "Get your ball!" so he'll eventually do it on his own.

Does anyone else use older dogs to train their pups?

·
Registered
972 Posts
im actually having a problem with this because my older dog is a brat and a half and she will sit when she wants to. so my pup will look to her then me when i give a command, like asking her if he should do it. he doesnt listen to me when she is around, when she is gone he is an angel, i dont know how to re-enforce my role as leader with him, he is in love with my older dog...

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
As long as the older one sets a good example, it's a great aid!
Because it works both ways, older ones can also teach misbehaviors,
so choose carefully!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
My older dogs definately helped the pup learn good & bad. I have recently begun working all 3 individually to remind everyone. It's much easier to take all 3 out for a 45 minute jaunt every morning thru the trails but we all have our own issues.
If I throw the ball for my 8yr old, the pup runs for it, then will bark at the older dog now he doesn't go for the ball when the pups out. So now we all take turns. I'm also having a hard time getting the pup to focus on me when were out an about, she's 9 months old.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
im actually having a problem with this because my older dog is a brat and a half and she will sit when she wants to. so my pup will look to her then me when i give a command, like asking her if he should do it. he doesnt listen to me when she is around, when she is gone he is an angel, i dont know how to re-enforce my role as leader with him, he is in love with my older dog...

Why not work with the pup separately?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Riley helped potty train Shasta. Shasta is 6 months old and 100% potty trained. Beyond that Riley and Shelby have been useless in helping.

·
Registered
522 Posts
King has been helping me get skylar over reacting to other dogs on leash because of fear- if we walk them together (mom with king, me with skylar) and she sees that king doesn't react, she hasn't reacted ONCE while on a walk with king. I think it makes her more confident too, because he has lots of confidence haha. She's getting a lot better on her own aswell, but i think king has helped a lot.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Keeta has been a great help in teaching Gryffon! It even works for teaching formal obedience behaviours. Teach Gryff to go over the A-frame and back? Send Keeta out over the A-frame and back, and there is Gryff!!! Same with the jump.

For formal obedience, we start the retrieve with dowel work. Basically teach the dog to open mouth, take dowel, hold dowel, give dowel up on command - all before introducing a dumbell retrieve.

I was having a problem with Gryff - he did not like having the dowel in his mouth at all, and fought it! Keeta to the rescue!!! She does the excercise over and over again, and I praise and give her treats, and praise and give her treats, then Gryff is pushing in, trying to get the dowel too for the praise and treats - it worked! What can take weeks to teach, Gryff got in one session just by watching Keeta!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts