German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
so our GSD is now 9 weeks old. She sleeps sounds through the night and is typically hyper in the morning and later afternoon/early evening. She eats well and we try to give her alot of exercise in the morning, midday and evening before sleep.

when we are home we have the dog on a leash that is anchored to the table. it allows her to have about 5 foot radius to move around in and play and also sit at our feet and nap when she is tired. this has made it really easy for us to monitor her behavior so we can easily tell when she needs to potty. but we also basically take her out every hour unless she is asleep. We havent had any accidents and she has a strong reward system for when she potties outside when we take her. My concern is will this reward system stay in tact for her when we expand her freedom in the house? will she understand to only potty outside? how long should this initial restricted space phase last before we can let her off the leash in the house?

currently she only stays at home alone for 2.5 hours or 3 max. she spends this time in the crate with her toys and she seems pretty well adjusted to it. She doesnt freak out when we come home she calmly waits for us to let her out. Ive heard of people using playpen areas for extended solo time. my concern is that if she is given a space of 4x4 on her own that she might start soiling in the distant corner and derail her current potty training. I see some people use a doggy toilet but ive heard that lengthens the time it take for them to get used to only potty outside.

any comments? is this current restricted space tethering a sound plan? will it make it easier for her to navigate the whole apartment in a few weeks knowing that she only potties outside? what has worked for other people? presently i can be home quite a bit, but i want to make sure she is adjusted for later months so she doesnt need to be crated while im out.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I suggest you consider a baby gate - you can block off like the kitchen and when you are in there - your pup can be off leash so you can watch her. That will give her more freedom and she will get used to holding it in a larger area.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
if your dog signals you by whining/barking/ringing a bell to go outside to potty then i'd start giving more freedom (shes earned it). i moved my pup from a crate to a play pen to total freedom within my bedroom at night from 8wks to 12 weeks. i waited until he consistantly whined to be let out of the crate to pee. then he got moved to the play pen. when he whined to let me know he needs to pee consistently then he got to sleep on his doggy bed at night. now if he needs to go pee during the night he'll sit by the door and whine until i let him out (he's 12 wks old!). also he just automatically never soiled inside the play pen. i guess he just automatically saw it as a den like his crate. i've had two gsd and with no training, either have ever soiled in their play pen (especially if you feed them in there)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone.. I just rescued an 1 year and 9 month GSD and the people before him surrendered him, never crate trained him.. Never used toys with him, he basically just chewed on everything.
But I'm not sure but he must have lived in a fenced in area... Everytime he gets the chance too, he bolts off... He turns back around once in a while. I know it's not his fault but will the crate or playpen training be a good idea? Been scolding him but hate locking him in my room... I might be angry with him but it doesn't mean he should be alone.. I'm not sure, any ideas?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts