German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

im sure somewhere i could find this thread, but i don't have all day to flip through every page on this forum, so please excuse me if this has been a recent topic.

what tricks are there to help your grass? I heard kentucky blue grass is harder to kill...

Is there a specific kind of grass that won't die from dog urine?
Can I give my pups a vitamin or anything to help the issue?

I hear it's too much nitrogen in their pee that causes this...

Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
1 tsp of tomato soup once a day

·
Registered
514 Posts
wow! thanks. i'm pretty new and didn't even realize that was an option. Thanks!
No problem! I use the search on the homepage, it will search all of the specific forums.

You can also search within a specific topic and even within a specific thread.

I normally search first, if I don't find my answer or am still unclear, I then will post my question.

·
Registered
537 Posts
We just live with it...w/ two dogs it is hard to dilute every time, and they usually have their favorite spots so it is not the whole lawn.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
We have the same issue and I contacted a local nursery and they suggested using compost on the burned spots.

I have been doing this now since May on a huge spot where Nikki relieved herself when we first brought her home and I really didn't think it would help.

But after applying the compost and using soil conditioner the spot is almost filled in with new grass :) I also watered it regular of course.

We have a different grass, it's Bermuda TIF 419

Good luck,
Michaela

·
Registered
53 Posts
At my house on the bay...I could care less let him burn away..LOL the less grass to mow the better..But at my GF's townhouse they have super nice lawns the HOA has built in sprinkler usystems that go off in the middle of the night. I recently spoke to my vet and she said they have a pill to help counter act the acid. I asked does it really work? she was like well..not 100% she said the best is dilute the urine with water...At GF's I trained Roscoe to only go "restroom" in an area for dogs...pain in the but but easier than diluting the urine every time...good luck

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Watering the area immediatly after will solve the problem. A freind of mine does this and it works.

If you can get your dogs used to going to a specific spot.

I have an area beside my deck that is covered with interlocking brick for the purpose. Took her there as a puppy, on leash. Now she goes to her spot when ever she needs to go. Worked with my other dog too. This has kept my husband happy, as he works very hard to keep our lawn looking perfect.

GSD are very smart. I think you could teach this to an older dog.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great ideas all! thank you for sharing! i'll try a bit of everything :)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I don't know if this actually works, but I noticed if I let my grass grow out it doesn't seem to make large patches of yellow. Last year I would get my lawn cut 1x a week, and I had so many patches. This summer I have been cutting it myself every 2 1/2 weeks and my grass looks fuller, and not yellow (I still have some ruined patches from last year, but nothing new this summer)! It also could do with the fact that it has rained a lot here last month.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
May just be my experience but does anyone else that feeds raw notice less grass stains from urine?

·
Registered
936 Posts
This may seem like a weird thing to say. I remember trying so hard on the yellow patches. Now in retrospect having Bink gone to the Rainbow Bridge and preparing for our new little boy.....I don't mid them anymore... :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts