German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our Sheba girl at the end of February. She is 2 years old. We have decided that she may have been abused by her former owners, because she was very skittish at first, and had many problems with submissive urination. Over time, she has become quite accustomed to our family. She loves playing with our two other dogs (weenie, and dalmatian), and LOVES my husband. However, she still pees when she's in trouble, often times, before we are aware that she's been naughty. She also pees when the other dogs are in trouble, and even when she's not in trouble at all. Just this afternoon, she was giving my husband a "hug" and she peed while standing up on her hind legs. How can we fix this problem? I'd appreciate any suggesgtions!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
There are several threads that discuss this issue, time is the only thing I have found that helps. Sometimes it is our posture that gives us away when we are frustrated, do you work with obedience with her? Sometimes structure helps an abused dog. It seems that most dogs that are abused or frightened are so because they never knew what to expect. peeing is a submissive gesture, it is her saying, "see, I want to please, I mean no harm" Unfortunately we humans do not appreciate the gesture. When she has an accident, ignore it, do not comfort her or reprimand her. Just clean it up and go on showing no emotion at all. I had a foster that was a submissive pee'er. I felt bad that he feared me, but I had to remember that I was not the reason, he had a bad past was all. Some dogs pee from excitement too, so perhaps the peeing while giving your husband a hug was from excitement not fear? At any rate, she obviously was not treated with kindness and while she may not know what she is doing wrong, if she sees something chewed up (whether she did it or not) it may trigger this reaction.
When an animal is hit, it feels like it is being attacked, she may have been "attacked" in certain circumstances and she is peeing to head off the attack before it happens....It may not help much, but I think just ignoring for now is your best course of action, that and practicing fair leadership. A lot of members on here practice what is called NILIF or nothing in life is free. This phylosophy simply is that the dog learns good behavior by working for rewards. It is a great way to build self esteem in a dog that has been abused. Simply put, if my dog wants to go outside, she must sit nicely and wait for me to release her, if she wants to eat her dinner, she must wait nice so I will release her to eat, all good behaviors are rewarded. If she wants to be pet, she must sit, or down or whatever it is you want her to do to get a reward from you. Remember, rewards arent just treats, they are things the dog loves, to play fetch, to go outside, to eat dinner, to be pet. Soon as she learns the right way to ask for what she wants, she will become more secure with you and the peeing should deminish.

Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts