German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
IF YOU HAVE PURCHASED , PREPURCHASED , OR HAVE CONTRACTED FOR A PUPPY AT THIS KENNEL YOU SHOULD CONTACT THIS NUMBER IMMEDIATELY
PLEASE TEXT [PM user for contact information]
YOUR CALL WILL BE RETURNED.
WINTER OAK KENNELS HAS BEEN SEIZED BY LIMESTONE COUNTY.
THE LOCAL RESCUE SHELTER IS CHARGED WITH GETTING ABOUT 60 DOGS INTO
HOMES RESCUES FOSTERS AND SHELTERS.
MULTIPLE PREGNANT FEMALES AS WELL AS FEMALES WITH PUPPIES.
ALL DOGS ARE SEVERELY MALNOURISHED. AND HAVE A MULTITUDE OF HEALTH USSUES
WE ARE LOOKING FOR ANY AND ALL HELP.
IF YOU ARE GERMAN SHEPARD COMMUNITY KNOWLEDGEABLE PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP
NEEDS:
FOOD FOOD FOOD Dogs were only being fed every three to 4 days.
Veterinarian HELP !!!!
No help is turned away. These dogs have
no houses, no bedding, no tarps for wind breaks, no medical care, no food, water containers are disgusting and green , volunteers needed. Today and tomorrow volunteers will be cleaning water pales but most of the water pales are not salvageable.
If you can think of any thing to help us please do.
These dogs are ALL credentialed. This makes them vulnerable to making it into another puppy mill.
We won't let that happen !!!
PLEASE HELP US !!!!#
PICTURES WILL BE POSTED SOON AND LINKS WILL BE ADDED LATER TODAY

***Post has been edited and contact information removed as solicitation of cash donations is prohibited on this site. - Mod

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Couldn't find a story when I googled, but the kennel is in Texas, and has both a website and FB page.

If you want to help out, google the shelter's name. It's not hard to find.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
PM Sent -- the critical info rescues need to know is:
1. Has ownership of the dogs been adjudicated yet? If not, has the owner signed over ownership to your shelter? (In other words, can the dogs legally be put on transport?)
2. If ownership of the dogs is in dispute, when will a local tribunal decide?
3. Are the dogs going to be ordered to be held as "evidence" in a criminal case (which can take a LONG time)?
4. Are you open to an outside org coming in to take over care of the dogs? (That's very common in large-scale hoarding cases -- there are some agencies that specialize in coming in and setting up triage shelter situations on short notice).
5. Have they been heartworm tested yet? That's going to impact transfer prospects out of state!

·
Super Moderator
4,325 Posts
PM Sent -- the critical info rescues need to know is:
1. Has ownership of the dogs been adjudicated yet? If not, has the owner signed over ownership to your shelter? (In other words, can the dogs legally be put on transport?)
2. If ownership of the dogs is in dispute, when will a local tribunal decide?
3. Are the dogs going to be ordered to be held as "evidence" in a criminal case (which can take a LONG time)?
4. Are you open to an outside org coming in to take over care of the dogs? (That's very common in large-scale hoarding cases -- there are some agencies that specialize in coming in and setting up triage shelter situations on short notice).
5. Have they been heartworm tested yet? That's going to impact transfer prospects out of state!
Ma'am, I have nothing but the deepest respect for you. You are a wealth of knowledge and compassion.

You just let this crayon eater know if I can help.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Two things strike me as odd: a search for a news story about the seizure drew a blank, and the rescue doesn't have anything about the dogs on their home page.

Hmm...hope the rescue IS legit, but I'd check it out carefully before making a donation!

Excellent post, Magwart!

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
David and Fodder, y'all are kind! David, I hope to someday know half as much about training dogs as you do -- seriously!

@Sunsilver, sometimes things can't go up on FB for legal reasons -- but then it probably shouldn't have been posted here either, if that's the case. I'm VERY surprised the post here mentioned the kennel name. I wouldn't be surprised to see that disappear in the next day or so. It sounds like county authorities maybe ordered seizure with no plan at all in place for housing the dogs?

I'm kind of surprised that Pets Alive! in Austin isn't already all over this, as they're very experienced with emergency response mobilization. Has anyone at this shelter even contacted them?

Texas A&M looks like it's not all that far -- their vet school has a Vet Emergency Team that deploys in emergencies.

Chasing food donations is also odd. Most shelters have tons of food -- Hill's and Purina One both have shelter programs, shipping pallets of nearly free food. Purina also has regional shelter hubs to distribute food in emergencies to other shelters/nonprofits (a/k/a Purina Shelter Champions - Purina Shelter Champions ), and Purina also does lots of grants. There's also a Texas Pet Food Bank program for nonprofits: r-pal.org . Those folks could probably connect with a manufacturer who would put a pallet of food on a loading dock at a Texas plant, if someone could find a truck and driver to pick it up. Maybe they just need someone on staff to ask Pets Alive! or Humane Society of North Texas to walk them through the grant/application processes for getting a truckload of food. It's a lot of logistics, but there are people who they could call who are REALLY good at navigating this stuff -- and a lot of them are in Texas.

Petfinder and AdopaPet also have emergency grants available for situations like this -- and cover intake vaccines, heartworm tests, deworming, urgent medical needs, etc. ASPCA and HSUS also have shelter grant programs for emergencies.

ETA: I just looked at the shelter website and they ARE connected to the Purina, Pedigree Foundation, Bayer, Walmart Community Partners -- so they know how to access the big resources. I'm really puzzled by the plea for food now.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I googled and didn't find any news articles either. I checked out the kennels site and Laras House site. I see reflags.

·
Registered
358 Posts
before doing anything I would give these guys a call and see what the story is:
Mexia City Animal Control
211 North Sherman Street
Mexia, Texas, 76667
254-562-4100
Mon-Fri 8:00 AM-5:00 PM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts