German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've brought this up before and at one time it was the way topics in the Urgent Threads were being done:

1) Many people want to be able to keep an eye on dogs in their area (the dogs they can most likely physically help) -- so if the State/City was posted first then the eye could go down the list quickly.

2) All dogs in this area are Urgent so why post something like Urgent, Urgent, Urgent -- instead put basic info such as location and which dog. This could be puppy, adult and male, female type with one detail to seperate the dog such as LH or White.

Recently we have had dogs with a couple of threads and people asking doesn't this dog already have a thread? There are threads with no info in the topic other than the dog is a shepherd and is urgent. Those are givens or they should not be posted in that area.

And why do some people feel the need to be critical of and post something about other rescues without knowing what is going on? A lot of valuable space is wasted debating if a certain rescue's practices is the way a certain individual would do things. It takes everyone's minds off what the important issue is which is getting the dog out of danger and into a safe place.

I know people who never post in the rescue area but come online just to read. My county shelter has had shepherds pulled because of info posted here. Some were by members who have never had their names involved with rescue in any manner and a couple by nonmembers.

I just feel that the Urgent section is one where organization is a top priority.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
absolutely, organization and clarity should be a top priority in the urgent section. sometimes i even get frustrated reading through post after post saying "i WISH i could help". i try to remember that not everybody knows the correct "netiquete" for the rescue sections of the board, me included sometimes.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I agree. I would like to see more of a description and less wording such as 'Urgent' on these threads.
Just had another thought-darn, thats the second time today that happened to me LOL.... but what if we include the 'last day' date on heading???? I know they are all Urgent but sometimes the need is more Urgent than others???? Do you get what I'm saying??? Whats your feedback on that?? Sorry, I'm having a hard time composing my thoughts today...

·
Registered
714 Posts
I agree that being precise and concise is important, especially listing the location of the dog. I personally don't have that much of a problem with people saying "wish I could help" - perhaps they in some way can, it just takes someone closer to the dog/situation to be able to contact them and ask. My frustration is with postings that just say "bump" - a couple of times I have missed new postings because bumped old posts have pushed them onto page 2 or 3 of the listings.

Perhaps there could be a template devised, allowing the basic information about the dog in need could be presented in a clear and uniform way?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Originally Posted By: SpiritsmamMy frustration is with postings that just say "bump" - a couple of times I have missed new postings because bumped old posts have pushed them onto page 2 or 3 of the listings.
Perhaps a "bump" is so that we do not forget those that came before?

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
TJ,

A while ago I made the suggestion to lock threads after the dogs have been saved. I will often NOT say anything when I see a dog has been saved in order to avoid bumping that dog back up to the top.

I understand a lot of time and energy can be expended in saving a dog. However, once a dog is saved it seems like it hurts other dogs for everyone to keep bumping the saved dog up in order to say how happy they are.

Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
When a dog has been adopted it should be moved OUT of the Urgent (or Non-Urgent) section.

The mods do this but they have fulltime jobs and lives of their own so they don't always find them quickly (eta).

WE can help by doing exactly what I just did in the Urgent section regarding the young female in PA that I was interested in.

When I received an email from the shelter saying she was adopted I replied to the thread, added ADOPTED to the subject, submitted the post then notified the mod that the dog was adopted. That way they know RIGHT AWAY what thread can be closed/moved.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
On dogs that are saved send a Mod alert saying they are saved and if you wish for them to be added to the "Where are they now" or just deleted.

If the Mods don't see it send it again or just send me a PM with the link to the post with the info.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Yep, I sent a PM to Carolina today to move a dog from urgent to where are they now and I think she had it done the second I hit the enter key.

I also think a template is a good idea, but realistically most won't use it.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Quote:
I also think a template is a good idea, but realistically most won't use it.
You're right, Nina. We've asked members to use the template idea of including the city, state and important descriptive info in headings before, and folks usually remember to do this for a few days, but before long, we're back to headings that don't necessarily follow that format.

But it is good to have a reminder now and then.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Due to the fact it appears placing the location/description is so important (and when ignored we are losing track of dogs) can we start deleting threads that are started that disobey this?

To say 'realistically' people won't use it, and then realize that it's the dogs that are falling thru the cracks, seems to me is a big problem from people who's intent is (they say) to save dogs....

REMEMBER people, in the same box as every single posting in every thread there is a list of options at the bottom as follows:

Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

When you click on 'Notify' a new window immediately opens that allows you to notify the moderators of the thread so they can attend to any details (like moving saved dogs).

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Quote: When you click on 'Notify' a new window immediately opens that allows you to notify the moderators of the thread so they can attend to any details (like moving saved dogs).
Oh, I didn't know that. I backed out of the forum list to find out who moderated that forum, then sent them a PM. If you do 'notify' does that attach any info about the thread or post to the mod or does it just start a PM session?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Great ideas, everyone. When I get a mod alert I do my best to comply on a timely basis. Sometimes it's already been attended by another mod before I can get to it. I would advise alerting all the mods so we can make sure it's get covered. Now this is in the General Adoption and Rescue Forum.
The Urgent Forum needs those 'quick eyes'. Poor babies in that forum........ they need all the help they can get!
Again, good suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Quote: If you do 'notify' does that attach any info about the thread or post to the mod or does it just start a PM session?
It opens up a window linking to the thread and allowing you to post the issue (like 'dog saved' or whatever....)

You can do a test 'notify' by hitting it and seeing what happens, just don't send it (though no biggy if it does go thru).

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Maybe the moderators could post a sticky with rules for posting in the Urgent / Non Urgent section telling people what the listing format / template needs to be, and that listings not following the template will be removed.

I think the header / title should be:

Location (State & Shelter), Age & Gender, Special characteristics (color, coat length, special needs, etc.) Euth date (if known)

Example:
VA - Fairfax County AC - 4yo F - tripod sable - PTS 4/26

It would make things easier for rescues or people interested in the dog if people posted all pertinent contact information along with the listing, too. Sometimes there are posts where it's "I've received this information" and it gives no way of contacting the shelter, rescue, or private person who passed the information on - how is someone to move quickly to rescue a dog without having that?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Historian you must be reading our minds!!!!! The Mods/Admins have been discussing the format needed for Rescue subject lines to help prevent all the cross posting and confusion currently going on. And what we are proposing looks alot like your ideas.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
As someone that posts alot of dogs .... I would say it's rare that we know a euth date....sometimes...but rarely......

I think it would be great if all headings had some consistency to them....

I myself have posted a dog that is already posted from time to time...because I could not recognize it from the other titles......and certainly don't have time to open every post to check.....(although I do try when I can)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts