German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm out of town and my wife is there she don't know what to do... Question.. she says nyla isn't letting the puppy eat from her.. how long can the pup go without being on mom they were just born

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
It is very important for the puppies to get the first milk from the bitch, as it is the colostrum and contains valuable antibodies to protect them against diseases.

Please give more details: how old is the female, and what breed? I assume this is her first litter?
How many puppies? Has she finished giving birth? Did she show any interest in the pups when they were born (cleaning them up.)?

If she won't let the puppies nurse, they will have to be hand reared, which is very difficult. They need to be fed around the clock every couple of hours. They also need to be kept warm, so you will need a heating pad. And after feeding they have to have their tummies and genitals rubbed to make them go to the toilet.

There are different formulas for feeding puppies. They cannot have cow's milk. You can get a commercial formula from the vet. Leerburg has a home-made formula that uses goat's milk:

Leerburg | Bottle Feeding Puppies

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Also, mom will have to be watched very closely, as she may try to hurt or even eat the puppies if she is not accepting them. You may have to separate her from them. You could try muzzling her until the puppies can at least get that first bit of colostrum. You can improvise a muzzle out of some gauze. Don't leave her unattended when she's wearing it though: she will try to take it off, and may get her paw caught in it.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Find a breeder of any breed to help you asap. I had a foster dog who refused the first pup but I let her sniff it several times and when the next one was born, motherhood hit her well and she was OK. Are there too many interventions going on, fidgeting with the birthing mom etc? maybe she needs peace and quiet and a dark environment.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
That sounds hopeful. Please let her be if at all possible. I was told to have a heating lamp and to rub the pups but then a breeder friend told me to leave everything alonea s the pups would crawl to the mom's body heat and let her deal with cleaning the ups. That worked. I learned a lot that night, mainly to trust the dog. I cringed when I saw her chew the umbilical cords but she did fine.
A few days later, she pulled every pup, one by one, towards her by that dried up cord and nibbled it off to the skin. Again, I almost freaked out but had confidence in that she knew what she was doing. And she did! All was left was a tiny red spot on those bellies and none were injured. Later I became a birth doula for human babies and again, too many interventions lead to often unnecessary complications.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Everything is smooth sailing... she had 8 Boys.. only concern at this point is her stepping on them when she is moving around in the whelping or when entering/leaving area.. the box isn't too small but isn't too big either its 4x4 she has plenty of room just isn't paying attention where she is stepping

Red collar is significantly smaller than the rest

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is this normal behavior? I'm noticing that Nyla (dam) is starting to take a single puppy out of the whelping area and into a different part of the room... Yesterday I heard one making a loud noise it just sounded strange so I entered the room and nyla was up under a desk with the puppy underneath her... the puppy was making lots of loud noises I had never heard before and was super wet (I guess from being in Nyla's mouth) this was the orange collar puppy

then this morning my wife woke me up saying I should check on the puppies (she is afraid to since nyla growled at her during whelping) so I went to check and this time Nyla was in the bathroom (the room the whelping box is in has a door that leads to a bathroom, I must've left it open on accident last night) and again nyla was on top of this puppy (red collar runt) this one was making same noise as the other... and was soaking wet...

and now she has just done the same thing to purple collar pup... she has move him into the kennel... I noticed her (Nyla) whinning and licking its belly I think the umbilical cord area... but now she is just laying in the kennel with this puppy.. this kennel is across the room from the whelping box with the other pups..

is this normal behavior? I tried to get a picture but she exited the kennel and now she is just walking around the room (purple collar pup is still in the kennel) now she is laying in kennel with that 1 pup.. should I move this pup back into whelping area?

help not sure whats going on she is now moving white collar pup into kennel (this puppy is yelping really loud and nyla is licking umbilical cord area) I have no clue what she is doing she is now in the kennel with 2 of the pups

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have no experience in breeding or whelping but just a thought. Is the bedding in the whelping box clean. I've heard that it needs to be cleaned quite often. I would make sure she doesn't lay on the pups. Hopefully those experienced will chime in with help soon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have no experience in breeding or whelping but just a thought. Is the bedding in the whelping box clean. I've heard that it needs to be cleaned quite often. I would make sure she doesn't lay on the pups. Hopefully those experienced will chime in with help soon.
Whelping area is very clean.. we keep that area clean

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
The trellis might not feel secure enough of a den environment to your dog, try draping the outside of it. I also wonder why you don't have pig rails?

ETA: A dog has to lick a puppy to stimulate the bladder/bowel movements.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I also highly recommend pig rails to keep her from lying on any pups. They can be made with PVC pipes easily enough.

If the box is too hot she may try moving the puppies. I try to keep 1/4 of the box fairly warm and the rest is comfortable for mom. The pups will move into the heat when needed and use mom and puppy piles in other areas. If the pups are all spread out then they are too warm. If they are all trying to be on top of one another then they are too cold. I tend to keep that one section about 90 degrees. Looking at the picture, the pups are probably at a good temperature, but the lattice will allow a draft and they need to be protected from a draft.

She may also not feel secure in the box so is wanting to move them. Do as others suggested and drape something around the sides. You could also drape something over the top, but that could make it too warm. I would also put an X-pen around the box so she can get away from the pups if she wants to, but not wander around the house.

She should have access to water at all times (as a side note).

My box is also 4X4 which is fine when the pups are small, but 4X5 might be better as they get bigger. A couple of pictures of my box. The one is just after whelping and you can see where I have the heat lamp in one corner. I also have a thermometer, but you probably can't see that in the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think she may be trying to kill the runt (as I stated earlier this morning she had brought it to the bathroom and was sitting on top of it).. and now she just took it to the kennel.. i kept an eye on her.. she kept putting the pup in her mouth.. I dont think she was biting down hard but the pup was yelling for dear life..... then she took it and put it into a toy box (the box is in the room because I use it to put the pups in while cleaning out the whelping area) and then she tried to smush it with her paw while in the toy box.. I said NO! STOP NYLA! and placed it back in whelping area with the others

My worry is while im away on the weekends (fri-sun) I know my wife will NOT do anything to protect or prevent this from happening.. my wife is now scared of Nyla (from when she growled at her while delivering the pups).. my wife never comes in this room anymore unless Im in here and she is already telling me she will not do anything for the pups while im away because she is scared (she wont even pet one she is so afraid I dont understand it smh)

I will be adding the pig rails this week as well as covering the sides of the whelping box but I dont think that's the issue at this point

·
Registered
201 Posts
My wife is suggesting for this weekend while im gone is keeping the puppies in a different area... away from mom and bottle feeding them... what do you guys think? she is very serious about not touching the puppies if nyla is around... so if nyla is accidently laying on top of one she wont save it.. or if nyla moves the runt again and is trying to smush it my wife wont do anything.... so not sure what to do at this point

·
Super Moderator
7,227 Posts
Leave the litter with their mom. Hopefully things will have calmed down by the weekend.

I really do hope that you will take all of this into consideration before continuing this breeding operation that you have going on. It should also be said (off topic) - please do not send these puppies to their new homes on July 7th... for many reasons.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I realize this question is really "Captain Obvious" in nature, but do you have a friend or family member who is comfortable with your dog that can stay the weekend?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have read that puppies will pick up on aggression from the dam toward people vs a dam that is friendly toward people. I know there have been studies where puppies from dams with good nerves were given to fearful/aggressive dams and the puppies ended up with similar issues.

Developmental Stages of Puppies - Briards du Nouveau

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
This is just an observation and a concern for you to consider. With Nyla's temperament and nerve base, I would think that more consideration for her comfort and need for privacy would be given. The pictures of each individual pup, though cute, was really unnecessary handling. I think Nyla is trying desperately to find a quiet place so she can peacefully tend to her litter as best she can.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts