German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
The dog attacked your mom 5 times??? Unless your mom has been holding her paw to a hot stove burner, the dog is not right in the head. It is very sad. It is like your dog has a terminal disease. The kind thing is to take the dog to the vet and be with her when they sedate her and put her down.

This is not normal or appropriate behavior for a GSD. I think it is possible that your mom is afraid of the dog (not without cause), and the dog is picking up on the fearfulness and that can be making her afraid. When she is afraid, she lashes out with her teeth. For instance, the benign offer of a hand toward the dog, but fearfully, and the dog is thinking, what is she trying to do to me? Or she senses the fearfulness as weakness and she is a huge bully that wants to eliminate weaker members. Or she had an enormous brain tumor and is triggered by something in your mom's manner.

But it really doesn't matter why the dog is not right. The dog is not right, and is not appropriate to live as a family pet. She is worthless as a service dog, farm dog, or police/guard dog. Giving this dog up to anyone else means that you will not be able to control the environment for the dog, and if she injures or kills someone, you'd have a part in the responsibility for that. I think the liability is just too great.

I get it that you love the dog. I hate to say this, but their are many, many dogs out there to love, that need love, and are worthy family pets. Euthanasia is done painlessly. Then you can grieve for the dog, and somewhere down the line, you can get a dog that is truly the stress-relieving, fun, companion dog that makes owning a dog such a great thing.

I'm sorry you are going through this. People do come first. No one should be attacked five times by a dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's 2 cents of advice. Get a respected animal behaviorist at your home ASAP. Give the dog a little more time before you put the dog down. Who know. Louise Barron

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sometimes, the best things you can do for your pets and animal partners, are the hardest.

In my 56 years of life I've buried 3 horses, including my only "kid" last year, my 20 year old Arabian. I was there for his birth, and his death. Number 4 will be this fall. I've buried 3 best canine friends in the world, so far.

Never had a dog with actual biting history but if I did--we'd go to the vet, end of story.

It is not worth it to have a dog take someone's face off. This dog is dangerous. The owners made her dangerous, but there it is regardless, she's dangerous anyway. They've had this dog 6 years, since she was a puppy, I doubt a behaviourist is going to be much help. She is going to seriously injure someone, and it might not just be Mom, it might be some kid walking by, like the child in the video a few pages back.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts