German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am afraid to call and ask so this is my only option for help.

Do any of you know if a hospital is a mandatory reporter for dog bites? Do they report accidents or only malicious attacks?

Earlier, about 2 hours ago, I was wrestling around with my 4 1/2 month old, like we do quite often, and she snagged my face. I thought it would be ok, just swell up and bleed a bit, but it's still bleeding and it's going to need stitches. I'm afraid to go to the ER to get them, though, because it was a total accident!! She didn't mean it and doesn't even know it happened, I don't think. Just a fluke thing during play. I don't want my dog to be taken from me for a playful accident.

Can anyone help?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
If you need to get to the Dr. then go to the Dr. I know that I would probably say I cut myself on a branch in the yard or something that would make a similar cut.... but it needs to be cleaned out and looked at so it heals properly.

·
5,627 Posts
If you need to get to the Dr. then go to the Dr. I know that I would probably say I cut myself on a branch in the yard or something that would make a similar cut.... but it needs to be cleaned out and looked at so it heals properly.
I agree. Especially with a cut on your face.

I would also ask for a plastic surgeon or at least ask for skin glue instead of stitches if possible to minimize scarring.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tammy, try this link. Florida Dog Bite and Dangerous Dog Laws

It would seem to say that the owner is liable and since you're the owner….
I am a nurse and I haven't heard of mandatory reporting for dog bites…… doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Anyway, if it doesn't have an obvious teeth pattern in it I would just tell them the dog scratched you. We used to get people that OBVIOUSLY lied about how they got injured all the time, not a thing we could do about it…… as long as no one else was there to say different….

·
Registered
441 Posts
I agree with MRL. I do believe if you say it was a dog bite (even an accident) it is quarentined for 10 days and therefore has a record if it does ever bite again.

I had a nip on my face that was an accident that bled a lot. Personally, I cleaned it, put neosporen on it and pressed the skin into place until it stopped bleeding and put a bandaid on it. You could also put some skin glue if you can get away with no stiches. Just a suggestion

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this sounds retarded (but maybe it says a lot about me, lol) but I honestly never even considered lying. Now I feel dumb for not thinking to do that. I think it looks like a bite but who's gonna say I'm lying if I say branch? It's too long and deep to do at home. It's a tear from where she punctured, then jerked away. Im off to the ER...thanks to that branch I ran into when mowing.

Thanks for the link, too. I tried a cursory look with Google but didn't see anything.

·
Registered
295 Posts
LOL, I once had a man whose ***** was nearly severed tell me he had cut it while biking thru a field of dry grass…..
Gunshot wounds that were obviously not self inflicted….. very common.
The ER people really don't care…. I know that sounds bad. They just see it day after day…. But like I said if no one there complaining or contradicting there is nothing to report…..

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I just spent 5 hours in the ER with my daughter last night for the same thing! Our 10 week old puppy nipped her lip! She ended up needing 5 stitches. And stupid me, I didn't think to lie either! I had to fill out a form! I'm so mad at myself right now! Wish I had looked here for advice first!!

The good thing...is that my husband is a police officer in my town. He knows the guy that they report these incidents to. Hopefully he can explain to him that it was a 10 week old puppy...not a vicious attack from an adult dog!

·
Registered
208 Posts
IM IN FLORIDA.. I would just stick to a branch .. or a nail you didnt see
something like that...

Some Doctors can be real jerks in hospitals and they have the right to call Animal Code Enforcement and see if the dog is aggressive.. and you dont want it to even get that far...
Just my opinion. I know if I ever had to go.. I would not say it was my GSD, or any dog.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Most hospitals WILL make you file a form and will report it to A/C regardless of extent. When I got bit breaking up a dog fight I had to do the same.

For future reference to everyone, barbed wire makes the EXACT same type of wounds that dog bites do. Unless you git a grip bite with the full arch of teeth, you can pass it off as a barbed wire accident.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
You know, I have a thing about lying - hate to do it, just goes against the grain . . . but some of these bite laws are so stupid! To protect my dogs, yeah, I'd suddenly find lots of discarded barbed wire on my property, magically, overnight!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
you should be OK. Someone in my family reported my dog, he grabbed the hand and put puncture mark in, he filled out form at ER. I was so scared I hid out in my house for like 5 days....with blinds shut etc. I could not believe I was turned in but they didnt do anything. I was surprised. I do think *Im guessing* that is is filled in so they can send in to Animal control and make sure the dog is current on Rabies (mine was) I dont know. but they never came out to the house. I was petrified!
Same dog before this grabbed hand of my friend, when he went to the Dr they wanted him to fill out form, he refused, said he knew the dog and was UTD on his shot and was just there for Tetanus shot.
I hate to even tell the stories but just wanted you to know I dont think they are going to come and get your puppy!:hug:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
You know, I have a thing about lying - hate to do it, just goes against the grain . . . but some of these bite laws are so stupid! To protect my dogs, yeah, I'd suddenly find lots of discarded barbed wire on my property, magically, overnight!
I agree, we settled all this amongst ourselves and I did not let my dog around many people after this! I offered to pay Dr bills, etc. As if you dont feel horrible enough without the Govt getting in it.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
you should be OK. Someone in my family reported my dog, he grabbed the hand and put puncture mark in, he filled out form at ER. I was so scared I hid out in my house for like 5 days....with blinds shut etc. I could not believe I was turned in but they didnt do anything. I was surprised. I do think *Im guessing* that is is filled in so they can send in to Animal control and make sure the dog is current on Rabies (mine was) I dont know. but they never came out to the house. I was petrified!
Same dog before this grabbed hand of my friend, when he went to the Dr they wanted him to fill out form, he refused, said he knew the dog and was UTD on his shot and was just there for Tetanus shot.
I hate to even tell the stories but just wanted you to know I dont think they are going to come and get your puppy!:hug:
I'm sure it depends on the state/area, but I know around here, they don't care about a rabies shot or not. The dog that bit me (only 2 punctures, one involving stitches) was PTS with his shots utd and it not being "his fault". :(

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
When Bo mauled my arm I didn't go to the doctor, but if I would have had to I was prepared to say I fell on a board with nails sticking thru. Never thought of barbed wire.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
When my oldest son was three years old, he picked up my Mom's Lhasa Apso by his ears and the dog bit him.

He needed stitches, so we took him to the ER and a report was filed. Animal control came out the next day and checked Puppo's rabies certificate and asked some questions. I told the woman that it was my fault for not not being right there to correct my son for his behavior and wasn't the dog's fault at all. She played with Puppo for a while, and agreed that it was human error. That was the end of it.

I hope other locales are as understanding of each individual situation. Not every bite is malicious and not every biting dog is at fault.
Sheilah

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I'm sure it depends on the state/area, but I know around here, they don't care about a rabies shot or not. The dog that bit me (only 2 punctures, one involving stitches) was PTS with his shots utd and it not being "his fault". :(
Was this at a shelter where you volunteered or worked? I know that at many shelters there is a zero tolerance for bites, regardless of the circumstances. Which is why volunteers and employees where I worked have it drilled into their head that they are never, ever to break up a dog fight. If you get bitten doing it the dog will always lose.
Sheilah

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Was this at a shelter where you volunteered or worked? I know that at many shelters there is a zero tolerance for bites, regardless of the circumstances. Which is why volunteers and employees where I worked have it drilled into their head that they are never, ever to break up a dog fight. If you get bitten doing it the dog will always lose.
Sheilah
It was at a shelter, but it was not per the shelter's rules. A/C ordered it. :(

At the shelter I'm at now, idk what the deal is, but many employees have been bit breaking up fights and nothing happens. :shrugs:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts