German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

We have two German Shephards one the size of St Bernard. The large dog is now 9 years old which is getting up there for dogs of this size. A couple of weeks ago my mother came home to find blood on one of the walls. The dog was taken to the vet and there was found to be nothing wrong. A few days later the large dog was lying by the front door when the postman came. He jumped up barking and there happened to be someone in the room with him. As he barked blood came squirting out his backend. Back to the vet (dog also smelly) where he was thouroughly examined and again nothing could be found. There is no blood in the dogs stool. Dog went on antibiotics and has been monitored (smell went away). Now two weeks has passed and all of a sudden yesterday the same thing happened the dog barked and blood came out and he is again a bit smelly. Has anyone encountered these symtoms in their travels and could give a suggestion?

·
Registered
906 Posts
It sounds like it is his anal glands expressing. They may be very full. Usually it is very smelly and is brownish/reddish. Did your vet check for that? If not, I would find a new vet!! I would make an appt and have the vet check his anal glands. If they are not emptied they could get infected and become a bigger problem!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I agree the anal glands are the first thing I thought of, but shouldn't this problem be a fairly easy diagnosis for any vet?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice we have a call into the vet but the symptoms match the advice given.

Claire

1 - 5 of 5 Posts