German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, could someone please give me some advice. Ex-MIL's friend just moved here and knows no-one, so been trying to help her out. She called me in a panic about an hour ago, a groomer clipped off a tiny part of her maltese's tongue. It's 'seeping' blood, and I'm not sure if he needs a vet or not, I'm not sure how tongues heal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. He has had benadryl and composure, and is finally starting to doze off now. His owner is 73, lives on ss, and is extremely worked up over this. Would rather not take him to vet if it isn't necessary, due to her finances, but groomer's insurance will cover eventually if we need to.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Dip it in cornstarch - flour if it's all you have. Get a sulpher or stipto stick to keep on hand. Tongues bleed a lot, try to stimmie it, if nothing works got to the vet, but if you have a drug store close by, buy a stick men use for shaving, will clot it quick, or use cornstarch.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ozzy. His mom just called his old vet in Georgia and he says Tucker should be fine since he is sleeping now. He has a vet followup for another issue tomorrow, so the vet will check it out then, too. I will pick up a styptic stick for her, as well. I have powder at home for my parrot, but it didn't occur to me it could be used in the mouth.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Yes, but in a touch and cauterize situation. Just stick it and offer tons of water. Ice water works too in this situation. I've been through a couple massive bleedings, my siter cut the quick on her dog, went to the local 7-11 covered in blood looking for ice ROFL! My saint had a deformed paw, one day it bled a river, then we had the surgery, anyways, we wrapped her with cornstarch. I spent 2 days cleaning blood off my walls, when a GSD or smaller bleeds - big deal, especially with a paw issue -a Saint, good night, they bleed like a person and are too stubborn to stay off the foot, she looked like Cujo. A tongue, I'd do cornstarch, any other body part - sulpher.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much, I really appreciate the assistance! She has cornstarch on hand and she did say that cold water seemed to help. I came back home, but will peek at it in the morning to see how it's doing. (I was wrong, his vet follow-up for her allergies is Friday not tomorrow)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Im not sure how much a vet could honestly do for that. However I most certainly would go to a vet and make the groomer pay! If something happens in the future - infection, necrosis, etc - that requires greater medical care, groomer may plead no fault because medical treatment wasn't provided right away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts