German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought 6 yo male GSD Kaiser home yesterday. We adopted him from a young couple with a 2 yr son that could no longer properly care for him with their work schedules and living in an apartment.

Rudi our 8 yo male GSD lost his best friend a 13 yo male Sheltie, Crunch 8 months ago when we transferred from Michigan to Texas. Crunch was not able to make the trip. Crunch and Rudi were best friends for 6 years.

Rudi and Kaiser are both people and dog friendly. Kaiser is a gentle and loving GSD. Rudi, Kaiser and Crunch - all neutered.

We introduced Kaiser and Rudi yesterday in our front yard, both dogs wagging their tales. They were both on leashes. Then Rudi became aggressive. We separated the two and we attempted again in the back yard with the same result.

We are getting a crate for Kaiser and a muzzle for Rudi this morning.
One dog stays in the bedroom while the other one has access to the house. They lay down quietly 3 feet apart separated by a closed bedroom door as I type this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We definitely want to make this work.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
introducing the dogs on your dog's home turf is not advisable. i would try and walk them together. side by side if allowable from whatever distance is acceptable to them.
Originally Posted By: jdenisecWe brought 6 yo male GSD Kaiser home yesterday. We adopted him from a young couple with a 2 yr son that could no longer properly care for him with their work schedules and living in an apartment.

Rudi our 8 yo male GSD lost his best friend a 13 yo male Sheltie, Crunch 8 months ago when we transferred from Michigan to Texas. Crunch was not able to make the trip. Crunch and Rudi were best friends for 6 years.

Rudi and Kaiser are both people and dog friendly. Kaiser is a gentle and loving GSD. Rudi, Kaiser and Crunch - all neutered.

We introduced Kaiser and Rudi yesterday in our front yard, both dogs wagging their tales. They were both on leashes. Then Rudi became aggressive. We separated the two and we attempted again in the back yard with the same result.

We are getting a crate for Kaiser and a muzzle for Rudi this morning.
One dog stays in the bedroom while the other one has access to the house. They lay down quietly 3 feet apart separated by a closed bedroom door as I type this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We definitely want to make this work.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Things may get better over time or they may never be able to be out together.

Do you have a good behaviorist in your area that can work with you?

You can try counter conditioning Rudy. One person takes one dog, one person takes the other. Start on opposite sides of the street. When Rudy looks at the other dog, praise or click and give him a treat. Gradually move them closer. At the slightest negative reaction from Rudy, back up. This can take a long time but often works.

Do you have your dogs on Nothing in Life is Free?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Are they both neutered?

Trying to introduce a new grown dog to your dog on his territory doesn't usually go well.

With puppies I usually just bring them in and it's fine....but GSDs can be territorial, a new adult in the yard would be difficult.

Maybe try having someone take the new guy out of the house and a few blocks away, or to a nearby park or something.

Let your guy roam around the house, do a quick session of commanding/treating and play a few minutes, then set out for a walk.

See how he does encountering the other dog a bit away from the house and try walking them together from there.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I should add that my Chama hates it when strange dogs come into the house or her yard. She gets very grouchy. I have always introduced them by taking them for a walk in the neighborhood and then bringing the other dog into the yard/house. However, she still gets ticked off. She doesn't attack though just yells a lot. After a few days of positive reinforcement for her good behavior she settles down.

You may want to buy some of that DAP spray and spray it on their bedding and in the house. And you may also want to give them each some Rescue Remedy.

Has Rudy had problems with other male dogs in the past?

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
"fraid I can't help much. One male dog I had would not tolerate another male - puppy or adult. He wasn't particularly thrilled when I added a female, either.

The Barker Sisters - I just bring the dog or puppy in. They go through their routine which may include a bunch of intimidation or may just be a thorough background check but things have been fine after this. Having them on lead would not work. We've been jumped too many times on lead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the notes. Both GSDs are neutered. We are fortunate enough that we have a big enough house and each dog has their own room. Now, one roams the house while the one is in his room. We just got home from purchasing two crates and two muzzles (just in case) .

Rudi and Crunch, both neutered males lived together for 6 years until Crunch passed on.

In not sure what Rescue Remedy or DAP spray is?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Everyone has given great advice, I'd just like to stress the walking part. I have two males, and although they are pups, they behave a lot better with one another when they are walked. Whether you walk them seperately or not, it's important that you walk them until they are tired, I think it will ease this process. It worked wonders for Apollo and Zeus. When we first introduced them they both got walked until they were tired, and then we let them interact. We let them together once before they got walked, and it was a nightmare! Apollo would try to play with him like Zeus was his size! (Apollo was 5 months while Zeus was 2 months, there was a bug difference in size, Zeus was rather small) My point is, walk, walk, walk!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to let everyone know it only took about a week for the boys to become best friends.
It's such a joy to have Rudolph & Kaizer together.
We will never have less than 2 GSD's.

DA BOYZ!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Congrats! Pics?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts