German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm not sure if Ozzy just doesn't like chicken/poultry based kibble or what. I switched him onto Wellness CORE about 2-3 weeks ago and it's like pulling teeth trying to get him to eat it. He'll sit there and stare at it for a while and then I'll stare at him while he waits for me to put some canned food in there so it'll taste good or something. Then he'll realize I'm not moving until he eats it, so he'll get a kibble, then spit it out on the ground and stare at it some more like he can transform it into something else. It takes him forever to eat!

I'm thinking that he doesn't like chicken based food, because he started to stop eating the chicken BB puppy food. When I got him on the lamb/rice BB, he loved it. I'll probably switch him to TOTW bison or something after this bag is gone.

Picky little brat. Urg.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
have you tried putting a little bit of chicken broth in his food? or water maybe?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
So, I'm not sure if Ozzy just doesn't like chicken/poultry based kibble or what. I switched him onto Wellness CORE about 2-3 weeks ago and it's like pulling teeth trying to get him to eat it. He'll sit there and stare at it for a while and then I'll stare at him while he waits for me to put some canned food in there so it'll taste good or something. Then he'll realize I'm not moving until he eats it, so he'll get a kibble, then spit it out on the ground and stare at it some more like he can transform it into something else. It takes him forever to eat!

I'm thinking that he doesn't like chicken based food, because he started to stop eating the chicken BB puppy food. When I got him on the lamb/rice BB, he loved it. I'll probably switch him to TOTW bison or something after this bag is gone.

Picky little brat. Urg.
You created the problem. Tough love.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Let me ask you something Sable, if you had been feeding your dog plain dog food for over a month and your dog was still barely touching it...Would you continue with the tough love and starve your dog into eating just to please how YOU want to feed your dog?

I honestly don't see how Konotashi "created a problem". Ozzy didn't like the chicken BB and if I remember correctly, was on it for quite a while. In order to NOT starve her dog, she switched to another food which he actually liked. She wanted to try a better food and now he's not eating it. That doesn't make her a bad person or mean she "created a problem". Obviously she's realizing she should probably go back to what was working but there is NO harm in trying something new. I personally wouldn't force my dog to eat something they hated, it's incredibly cruel IMO. My dog shouldn't have to live his whole life eating the same thing he HATES and barely picks at (only when he's so hungry he has to eat) because he just needs "tough love".

Personally I see nothing wrong with feeding canned food but if you're looking at plain kibble, then try lamb, fish or the bison based foods. Have you tried any turkey based brands? You can send e-mails to pet food companies and most will send you samples. :) Often times pet stores will carry samples as well so you can see what Ozzy likes.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Let me ask you something Sable, if you had been feeding your dog plain dog food for over a month and your dog was still barely touching it...Would you continue with the tough love and starve your dog into eating just to please how YOU want to feed your dog?

I honestly don't see how Konotashi "created a problem". Ozzy didn't like the chicken BB and if I remember correctly, was on it for quite a while. In order to NOT starve her dog, she switched to another food which he actually liked. She wanted to try a better food and now he's not eating it. That doesn't make her a bad person or mean she "created a problem". Obviously she's realizing she should probably go back to what was working but there is NO harm in trying something new. I personally wouldn't force my dog to eat something they hated, it's incredibly cruel IMO. My dog shouldn't have to live his whole life eating the same thing he HATES and barely picks at (only when he's so hungry he has to eat) because he just needs "tough love".

Personally I see nothing wrong with feeding canned food but if you're looking at plain kibble, then try lamb, fish or the bison based foods. Have you tried any turkey based brands? You can send e-mails to pet food companies and most will send you samples. :) Often times pet stores will carry samples as well so you can see what Ozzy likes.
Unless a dog is sick, it will eat as much as it needs. Since most people overfeed, there is a good chance the OP just thinks the dog isn't eating enough. There is nothing in the original post that indicates how much the dog is eating, I suspect the dog is eating enough.

A dog eating habitats should not stress the owner to the point of pulling teeth.

Tough love. 3 days of tough love and any dog will eat.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You created the problem. Tough love.
I'm not sure what I said to warrant this response. Personally I'd rather feed him something that he enjoys eating. The only reason I'm making him eat the rest of the Wellness CORE I have right now is so I'm not throwing money away. I don't usually mix the canned food in with his kibble because I don't want to get him into the habit of 'if I sit here long enough, she'll mix it in and it'll taste better.'

Tough love doesn't always work, and he's already thinner than I'd like him to be. He needs to eat his food and I don't like him not eating. He exercises a LOT so he needs to eat.

·
5,627 Posts
This is simply not true. I've seen it with at least two of my fosters. Both were cleared by the vet to be in good health aside from being underweight and both refused to eat for 3 days until I broke down and hand fed them because it was clear they wouldn't eat on their own.

I see no harm in feeding Ozzy what he likes.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
This is simply not true. I've seen it with at least two of my fosters. Both were cleared by the vet to be in good health aside from being underweight and both refused to eat for 3 days until I broke down and hand fed them because it was clear they wouldn't eat on their own.

I see no harm in feeding Ozzy what he likes.

See you proved my point "you broke down"

·
5,627 Posts
See you proved my point "you broke down"
I absolutely did not prove your point. The dogs were not going to eat on their own, they needed help or would have starved to death. Just how long was I supposed to let an already underweight dog not eat?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I would rather feed my dog whatever he wants than watch him starve.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
:rofl: That's funny. Really really funny. (And at the same time, very sad that you believe this) Obviously you think all dogs are the same which isn't true. I guess you should have told that to my uncles Lab (The breed that eats "anything and every thing") who would NOT touch certain kibbles. He tried "tough love" by putting down plain food for 15min and then removing it and the dog didn't get anything until the next day trying to teach the dog to eat what is given, when it's given. This dog would only PICK at his food. (a couple kibbles is enough for a LEAN but large bred 75lb Lab??) They ran blood work, they did x-rays to make sure he didn't have a blockage or something...Nothing. The dog was healthy but he was picky. After the dog ended up losing a LOT of weight (He was basically becoming a walking skeleton. My uncle had to stop running with him in order to cut back on the calories he burned from exercise each day.) from NOT eating enough food he gave in and started feeding the dog what he likes. But I guess this makes him a bad owner right? Because he "let the dog win"? At least the dog didn't die of starvation and went on to live to be 15 years old.

I feel really sorry for your dogs. :( I can't imagine starving my furbabies into eating any more than I would starve my human children into eating.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Mine line up like soldiers twice a day and eat everything in the bowl. I have one dog eating the same food for 14 years, most other 5,6,7 years easting the same. Never an issue.

This problem is created by owners that care to much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just an FYI .. Sable123's food of choice appears to be this well known brand named "Conflict". He likes to come into the RAW feed section and start the same crap. Its easier to just show him some tough love (ignore him).

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Mine line up like soldiers twice a day and eat everything in the bowl. I have one dog eating the same food for 14 years, most other 5,6,7 years easting the same. Never an issue.

It seems to me that you care too little.

I am proud to be an owner that cares too much.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts

I'm sorry you don't care about how your dog feels. :( Might as well kick them in the head, it doesn't matter if it hurts right? I'd rather suffer the feeling of having my ass kicked than the pain of hunger.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

If you don't have a picky dog, then it's easy to say that.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I'm sorry you don't care about how your dog feels. :( Might as well kick them in the head, it doesn't matter if it hurts right? I'd rather suffer the feeling of having my ass kicked than the pain of hunger.
I care the right way. The right way is that they get the proper amount of food every day, twice a day, without any stress on them or unnecessary work on my part.

·
5,627 Posts
Wrong again. As I stated in my previous, my picky eaters were fosters. Strays. I absolutely did not create the problem of them not eating but I absolutely corrected it and got them to eat without tough love.

There is absolutely no such thing as caring too much.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Wrong again. As I stated in my previous, my picky eaters were fosters. Strays. I absolutely did not create the problem of them not eating but I absolutely corrected it and got them to eat without tough love.

There is absolutely no such thing as caring too much.
"Caring too Much" means caring the wrong way. Be honest you know that most pet owners change foods constantly for no reason, mix all kinds of stuff in the food, lay on the floor in tears begging the dog to eat and create this crazy behavior.

Don't deny it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts