German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to the forum:)! I am not sure where to post discussions and questions. I have a wonderful German Shepherd he is a dream. He was originally bought to have trained, to be service dog, then we found out no one would because they didnt pick him. we have taken him to The Monks Of New Skete and have also looked into other advancements into his training. My 4 y.o. daughter loves him (more than mom and dad sometimes), she has some significant disabilities and has been physically hurtful and mean to him, butyet he tolerates her and when she is sick hes right there. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful dog and addition to our family.:angel:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Welcome- glad you have such a wonderful dog! I'm glad he's so forgiving of your daughter. I've always wanted to visit the Monks but never have. Do they still have their breeding program or just training?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Welcome to the board! Just make sure you keep on top of your daughter when she's with your pup. As patient as our wonderful dogs are, sometimes an sudden surprise may have them over react to a situation...

PICTURES!!!:D

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Hi Urek , welcome. By saying your dog was bought to be a service dog do I understand correctly that you mean a "social therapy" dog . Less than two weeks ago I dealt with this issue. I had a woman approach me needing a dog for therapy for her young daughter , who had so many issues including delayed language, outbursts of anger, irrational fears and panic. Her daughter seemed to benefit with contact to a dog , calming down , less fearful. I investigated the requirements and the liabilities. There is the problem . Liability . A therapy dog has the same privileges (rights) as a seeing eye/ guide dog so there is huge exposure to risk . The
institute that would be training and certifying the dog has to be critical in the selection of the dog and the pairing of that dog to the right person . Even at Canine Vision Canada the guide dogs sometimes just did not click with a handler , and were reassigned until the perfect match was found. You come to the institute with your one lovely family member pet and they can't be forthright and tell you that it is not feasible, the dog is inappropriate, without offending . Your pet is your pet. They may work ten times more problem solving than if the proper selection was made from the start . That is why they are telling you that they won't train the dog because they didn't pick the dog. They know best what the requirements are. They are responsible in the end , legally , and so they decline to be involved.
I declined from providing a dog for this lady who contacted me .

I did refer her to Sterling Dog Services , an organization that provides fully trained service dogs of all sorts. I had experience with them having provided a dog for training . The finished dog , fully trained and ceritifed is valued at $10,000 to $18,000 -- but don't faint , because the dog is provided to the end user at no cost. You must however apply and qualify. This is my understanding.

I think that the Lions Foundation , heavily involved in Canine Vision Canada , and other charitable groups , may be able to help you.

I would not count on the dream of having your dear family pet trained though.

I didn't know the Monks were still around---

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome! We would love to see pics of your GSD.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hello and Welcome! :greet:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome- glad you have such a wonderful dog! I'm glad he's so forgiving of your daughter. I've always wanted to visit the Monks but never have. Do they still have their breeding program or just training?
Yes, there breeding program is alive and well. Visiting there was an amazing oppurtunity not just the pups and the dogs but the Monks themselves. There pups run I believe about 2,500. there is alot of time put into the pups before there concieved and after and training. :)We did not purchase our puppy from there, we found a wonderful breeder in Lake Sunapee Vermont. The woman is amazing Selestshepherds I believe is the website. She to this day takes visits from us, and wants to check up on the dog... pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the board! Just make sure you keep on top of your daughter when she's with your pup. As patient as our wonderful dogs are, sometimes an sudden surprise may have them over react to a situation...

PICTURES!!!:D
We have been very fortunate with Kodiak... My daughter is four almost five and with a multitude of issues. Kodiak is amazing . We have a friend whos son is missing the piriatal part of his brain it never developed and he has seizures frequently daily... Kodiak use to lay with him and lick him when he had them. I found him like many other GSD to be amazing. My daughter is "time out
" for being mean to the dog and loses the privelage of laying on him, petting him and other things she enjoys doing with him when shes not kind. She has bit him pulls his hair tail anything you can imagine. We supervise them both, plus we have a yellow lad tht we have to supervise with her as well. Never has either dog reacted but like you were saying surprises do happen.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Welcome and your dog is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts