German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dilemma and i apologize its long. I love animals, especially dogs, have a special love for the GSD breed.
After years of consideration and time with asking people questions. In May of this year, i decided that i was ready to get a dog and that I also needed one, and after reading a quote, "If you keeping waiting for the perfect time, it will never happen" (or something like that). Knowing that I would put my dogs needs before mine no matter what. And was open to any age GSD. Old or baby. I found a 4.5 month old on craigslist. Because craigslist animals need homes too.. I got her from a person who didnt say too much about her, she got her from a breeder somewhere in MA. Didn't say who because i am sure it was not a reputable breeder- otherwise im sure she would have loved to tell me. All I knew is that she was special to me, i knew i was in for a lot of work also.
I took her home.
Since then. I am falling more and more in love with my dog. She is so precious to me.
I have spent over $2500.00 on her since i got her.
I've had to limit my social life because of her separation anxiety.
I worry about her constantly about her hurting herself, or if she had diarrhea in her kennel,etc.
I've skipped family get-together's,etc. to be with her, because she was having diarrhea and i cannot leave her alone.
I pay a sibling of mine to watch her for me, if they can.. when she has diarrhea so she doesnt go in her kennel.
I have had to do less hours at work, because she just cannot be alone that long.. because of her separation anxiety.
She has had diarrhea probably half the time i've had her. IBS more than likely.. (She was doing really good for a few weeks, having to start on bland diet and forta flora, also bought pumpkin)

So this is what is wrong.. Because of her separation anxiety, i cannot work as much, and because of which i make less money. I am barely making ends meet.. and not even that.. I cannot afford to do x-rays for her hips or blood work for her diarrhea at this time. I am picking up a few hours at the animal hospital i use to work at, so i get a employees discount and once i get that, i am hoping to first do blood work and than xrays.
I feel like a bad person in some ways for getting her.. Because she really deserves someone who can get her and give her what she needs right away..
My car is dying on me and if that goes, im really done! So i need money!
I am thinking of leaving my job at the shelter (Which is what i love and have dreamed of doing my whole life) and working the night shift at Hannafords, I am hoping that at the very least Zelda will sleep better at night by herself than in the day by herself. Than i make more money by working full time and doing night shift, and pay for the things she needs more.
I love her so much.. I hate seeing her have diarrhea, hearing her whine and howl when i leave her. If i had known she was going to be like this. I would have taken her either way and re-homed her to a home that can afford her and will be good for all her behavioral problems. However, I am very attached and fond of her and I have committed myself to keeping her.
If i weren't me, i would defiantly be judging myself for getting her, although at the same time, i thought i was financially stable at the time when i got her and i didnt know that Zelda has lots of big things to work on.
I have a feeling in 4-5 years down the road i will look back and be happy that i got her.. Right now i feel more guilty and bad for her, but i still cant imagine not having her in my life.
That just sums up some of my thoughts in a few words.

Thanks for reading.

*Looking for anyone who had a similar situation who might have advice?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I'm sorry that your new pup has so many issues. I do understand--I adopted a 10 wo gsd when I was 22 years old and she had every health issue possible. However, she was also the most amazing dog. Because of her, since then I've knowingly adopted several dogs with health issues, including HD.

What are you doing about the separation anxiety? It will not be better at night than during the day. You need to address it with counter conditioning or it will never be resolved.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Sounds to me like you have done everything in your power to help your girl - I think it might be time to consider medication. Medication has it's place, and there is no shame in getting her the help she needs to be a happy dog, and the help you need to get your life back on track.

Once she settles into a calmer mindset, you can start behaviour modification to overcome this extreme separation anxiety - wouldn't be too surprised if the GI issues are linked to the ever-ongoing anxiety she lives with.

I don't think you have anything to be guilty about. You gave her a home, you wanted her when others did not, you love her, you are going above and beyond to care for her and meet her needs. You are an examplary owner - and there are still options that you can look at without sacrificing so much of your own needs.

Has anxiety medication been tried or suggested yet?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Go to "The Honest Kitchen" website and research their food. It has worked great for us in clearing up diarrhea. You can buy it online from them or a pet food site like Doggiefood.com. I hope you have at least done a fecal sample to make sure it is not some kind of parasite, worms, infection. etc.

I worked graveyard shift for two years straight, it is really hard, but at the time I needed a job and could not afford to be picky. The upside to that is you usually get paid more for those hours, plus it's often a calmer atmosphere. That may be a good option to earn money, just make sure your dog doesn't howl while you are gone!

Since we've had our dog, we've definitely changed our social and travel activities. We often look for pet friendly restaurants, hotels, can't always sight see. You should be able to leave your dog for 2-3 hours if you need to do social things, once the diarrhea gets cleared up. On the plus side, we've discovered many beautiful outdoor areas to hike and explore since we've had dogs. I couldn't believe all the places of natural beauty we missed in our own county, prior to having dogs.

You can go to the meetup.com website and look for either GSD or general dog meetups. This is a nice way to still have human contact and not feel isolated with your dog.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Regardless of our animals issues we still have to live our life. You can't stop working or visiting freinds and family, there needs to be a balance.
In my case I am the one with the separation anxiety, I hate to leave my dogs, specially with Kiya having seizures. Is the whinning and crying so bad your going to get evicted?

·
Registered
482 Posts
A few suggestions that you may have already tried that I have used on my anxiety ridden Samoyed.

1. Get a calming aid that has tryptophan in it. If it does not contain tryptophan do not buy it, chances are it will not work. No side effects except the calming effect you are looking for.
2. Download a bunch of soothing meditation type classical music to your Ipod and put it on for her on repeat. Do it anytime she is in her crate so she does not associate it to you leaving instead she associates it to the crate and rest. If you do not have an ipod leave the TV on for her.
3. Put pumpkin in her kong and freeze it to ease the diarrhea and give her something to occupy herself with.
4. Get some vetasyl (I swear I am the spokes person for this freakin stuff) its only $11 per bottle, I would start with breaking two capsules over her food in morning and two at night until you have a firm stool. Back it off one capsule at a time over several weeks if it gets loose again go back up one and keep the dose for a month. Then try again to back her off one capsule at a time.

Hope there is at least a thing or two here that you have not done that helps. Hang in there you will come through this and have a dog that will be so devoted to you it will make this all seem so trivial some day.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd stay away from meds in that young of dog. The GSD is on the top of the list of dogs that have SA and Depression. Here are some things that helped me change the mindset of the two GSD's I adopted and what I use on my puppy right now.

1. Good food, water and exercise on a regiment. It's a German, they are consistent by nature.

2. Training, your dog will have anxiety if they are not completing a mission or a task. Keep them learning for life. Tricks and obstacles are best.

3. Behavior in the home. Never get excited when you come home, make your dog lay down before opening the kennel. Relax and massage them when you get home and calmly let them out. Massage them and talk to them before you kennel them and once they are laying down inside, give them a treat and praise.

Once the dog can be trusted, you just leave the kennel door open or use it when you travel in the car or sleep somewhere else. The kennel should be big enough for them to turn around in. Not too big that they can poop on one side and feel comfortable on the other. A GSD will have soft stools if it holds it. Proper timing after feeding and exercise will let the do relieve itself in a specific area. They run like clocks. Feed, play, pee and poop.

I don't think you have done everything you can to train this dog properly. It's a huge commitment not unlike a child. As I write this, my 7 month old and 3 year old are sleeping. They will take their regular nap with my GSD who is 2 months old. We are about to go outside and work on fetching while the kids sleep.

Never keep your GSD in a kennel for more than 5 hours at one time per day. This may happen when you travel but, you will let them out for stretching and food/bathroom breaks.

Good luck with your GSD. If you are honestly unable to put the time in with your dog, try to find a good home that has the time and funds to raise them right. It sounds awful but, it can change the life of a young dog.

How many acres do you have and how much time do you spend a day with your GSD?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
When I rescued Banjo he had every sign of IBS. Bloody stool, leaking at both ends and just a wreck. The best thing I did for him de-stress his life as much as I possibly could. For him it was a doggie door so he could choose his routine. I don't know a cure-all for separation anxiety, maybe someone will chime in with that.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sorry that your new pup has so many issues. I do understand--I adopted a 10 wo gsd when I was 22 years old and she had every health issue possible. However, she was also the most amazing dog. Because of her, since then I've knowingly adopted several dogs with health issues, including HD.

What are you doing about the separation anxiety? It will not be better at night than during the day. You need to address it with counter conditioning or it will never be resolved.
You sound like a very lovely person for doing that. Many people tend to be deterred from adopting a dog with HD or other medical problems- it is very sad because they can have just as wonderful if not more of a personality and temperament!
What I have tried is i give her Composure, I have her in a dark cool room, i put music on and fans for sound. I exercise her to poop her out before i leave. I never make a big deal of my coming and going. And i practice regularly leaving the room without saying anything or looking at her, where her kennel is. I am going to try a thundershirt.

Sounds to me like you have done everything in your power to help your girl - I think it might be time to consider medication. Medication has it's place, and there is no shame in getting her the help she needs to be a happy dog, and the help you need to get your life back on track.

Once she settles into a calmer mindset, you can start behaviour modification to overcome this extreme separation anxiety - wouldn't be too surprised if the GI issues are linked to the ever-ongoing anxiety she lives with.

I don't think you have anything to be guilty about. You gave her a home, you wanted her when others did not, you love her, you are going above and beyond to care for her and meet her needs. You are an examplary owner - and there are still options that you can look at without sacrificing so much of your own needs.

Has anxiety medication been tried or suggested yet?
Thanks Castlemaid for the kind words. I have thought about medications and was hoping that i could find something else to help her S.A. But it may come to that. I am going to the Vets to sign paper work to work there again, and am hoping a vet is available to talk about options for S.A. If it helps her and is appropriate and not going to give any bad side-effect mentally or physically, than i am all for it! Is she too young like someone said here? She is about 8 months.

Go to "The Honest Kitchen" website and research their food. It has worked great for us in clearing up diarrhea. You can buy it online from them or a pet food site like Doggiefood.com. I hope you have at least done a fecal sample to make sure it is not some kind of parasite, worms, infection. etc.

I worked graveyard shift for two years straight, it is really hard, but at the time I needed a job and could not afford to be picky. The upside to that is you usually get paid more for those hours, plus it's often a calmer atmosphere. That may be a good option to earn money, just make sure your dog doesn't howl while you are gone!

Since we've had our dog, we've definitely changed our social and travel activities. We often look for pet friendly restaurants, hotels, can't always sight see. You should be able to leave your dog for 2-3 hours if you need to do social things, once the diarrhea gets cleared up. On the plus side, we've discovered many beautiful outdoor areas to hike and explore since we've had dogs. I couldn't believe all the places of natural beauty we missed in our own county, prior to having dogs.

You can go to the meetup.com website and look for either GSD or general dog meetups. This is a nice way to still have human contact and not feel isolated with your dog.
Thank you for the great resources! I am hoping that if i do get the job, it will not be a long term thing. Hopefully just 2-3 years! I am sure it is hard. My mom has been a nurse her whole life and has primarily done night shifts. Poor woman, you can tell she does night shifts it takes a toll mentally and physically this i know and I am somewhat of a night owl, so perhaps it would fit me alright. Yes i am going to do a few "practice" times during the night to be sure she will sleep fully through the night.

Regardless of our animals issues we still have to live our life. You can't stop working or visiting freinds and family, there needs to be a balance.
In my case I am the one with the separation anxiety, I hate to leave my dogs, specially with Kiya having seizures. Is the whinning and crying so bad your going to get evicted?
This is true, it is very hard to find the balance because of all the things Zelda has going against her. It really breaks my heart.

A few suggestions that you may have already tried that I have used on my anxiety ridden Samoyed.

1. Get a calming aid that has tryptophan in it. If it does not contain tryptophan do not buy it, chances are it will not work. No side effects except the calming effect you are looking for.
2. Download a bunch of soothing meditation type classical music to your Ipod and put it on for her on repeat. Do it anytime she is in her crate so she does not associate it to you leaving instead she associates it to the crate and rest. If you do not have an ipod leave the TV on for her.
3. Put pumpkin in her kong and freeze it to ease the diarrhea and give her something to occupy herself with.
4. Get some vetasyl (I swear I am the spokes person for this freakin stuff) its only $11 per bottle, I would start with breaking two capsules over her food in morning and two at night until you have a firm stool. Back it off one capsule at a time over several weeks if it gets loose again go back up one and keep the dose for a month. Then try again to back her off one capsule at a time.

Hope there is at least a thing or two here that you have not done that helps. Hang in there you will come through this and have a dog that will be so devoted to you it will make this all seem so trivial some day.
1.) that is good to know! I will defiantly have to do more research into anxiety medication, because that seems like the best route at this time.
3.) that is just plain brilliant idea! I cannot use her kong for peanut butter, she gets the runs. I just bought some canned pumpkin today and i will be doing that! :)
4.) Is vetasly similar to that of forti flora? I am currently putting two packets of forta flori in her food. Hoping that it will work

I'd stay away from meds in that young of dog. The GSD is on the top of the list of dogs that have SA and Depression. Here are some things that helped me change the mindset of the two GSD's I adopted and what I use on my puppy right now.

1. Good food, water and exercise on a regiment. It's a German, they are consistent by nature.

2. Training, your dog will have anxiety if they are not completing a mission or a task. Keep them learning for life. Tricks and obstacles are best.

3. Behavior in the home. Never get excited when you come home, make your dog lay down before opening the kennel. Relax and massage them when you get home and calmly let them out. Massage them and talk to them before you kennel them and once they are laying down inside, give them a treat and praise.

Once the dog can be trusted, you just leave the kennel door open or use it when you travel in the car or sleep somewhere else. The kennel should be big enough for them to turn around in. Not too big that they can poop on one side and feel comfortable on the other. A GSD will have soft stools if it holds it. Proper timing after feeding and exercise will let the do relieve itself in a specific area. They run like clocks. Feed, play, pee and poop.

I don't think you have done everything you can to train this dog properly. It's a huge commitment not unlike a child. As I write this, my 7 month old and 3 year old are sleeping. They will take their regular nap with my GSD who is 2 months old. We are about to go outside and work on fetching while the kids sleep.

Never keep your GSD in a kennel for more than 5 hours at one time per day. This may happen when you travel but, you will let them out for stretching and food/bathroom breaks.

Good luck with your GSD. If you are honestly unable to put the time in with your dog, try to find a good home that has the time and funds to raise them right. It sounds awful but, it can change the life of a young dog.

How many acres do you have and how much time do you spend a day with your GSD?
Thanks for your reply, dogs are huge commitments for sure. I actually walk her 3 times a day. On good days about a hour each time. Every other day i let her run on a 50 foot leash so that she doesnt book it. Her rear legs really hurt her when she runs to hard for more than 10-15 minutes. So i have to be very careful for exercise. If i work a 9 hour shift i have someone watch her the last half or at least take her out half way for potty time. However, I tend to work 8-12 and than 4-6 or 3-5. So that tends to work out well.

When I rescued Banjo he had every sign of IBS. Bloody stool, leaking at both ends and just a wreck. The best thing I did for him de-stress his life as much as I possibly could. For him it was a doggie door so he could choose his routine. I don't know a cure-all for separation anxiety, maybe someone will chime in with that.
I would love to do the doggie-door leading out to a fenced in yard area. That would be the best situation. Hopefully one day i can do this.

Thanks again for your replies guys.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
What is your housing situation? Are you in an apartment? It sounds like a doggy door is not an option (re: your last post) but is a secure outdoor kennel during the day possible?
Kiya is right IMO; balance is essential. I've spent more than my fair share at home with the 'kids' when I should probably be out living something resembling a life. Don't let your dog's bowel function define your life, lol!
We WILL find you some solutions! All these brilliant noggins will come up with something that works for you and Zelda. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry you're having such a rough go! I know this wont necessarily fix your situation, but it might help. Prior to coming to us, we were told Heidi was just left in a room where she couldn't destroy anything and had her muzzle stuck in a crate so bad that she still has scars. The first step was teaching her that the crate was good/safe by feeding her in it, giving treats for going in voluntarily. We then did as others suggested and made coming-going not a big deal by ignoring until she was calm at our return. This made it manageable, but there was still a period of crying/whining after we left. Now, I've invested in a remote controlled treat dispenser (which can also be used to train other things also), so that we can reward (she's extremely food driven) for when we open/shut doors, and for us being out of the house for extended periods of time. The treats will be phased out as she starts to associate us leaving as a good thing...or at least not a bad thing...and a time for her to relax. Hope any of this helps. Hang in there!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
482 Posts
4.) Is vetasly similar to that of forti flora? I am currently putting two packets of forta flori in her food. Hoping that it will work

Forti Flora is an aid to balance their GI tract. Vetasyl is a fiber supplement that creates a normal stool. Unlike humans fiber helps dogs with Diarrhea does not give it to them. You can get it on 1800petmeds or at your vet. No script is needed it is 100% natural. The bottle says it relieves constipation but I use it for lose stools and usually see a difference in less than a day and within a few days normal stool

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's another great thing you can try. Have never had any more problems since I started using this.

The Honest Kitchen Perfect Form Herbal Dog & Cat Nutritional Supplement

Thank you Sunflowers for the option! Since this forums i've never heard of that. I've learned a lot since being on this forums, which i am grateful for!

What is your housing situation? Are you in an apartment? It sounds like a doggy door is not an option (re: your last post) but is a secure outdoor kennel during the day possible?
Kiya is right IMO; balance is essential. I've spent more than my fair share at home with the 'kids' when I should probably be out living something resembling a life. Don't let your dog's bowel function define your life, lol!
We WILL find you some solutions! All these brilliant noggins will come up with something that works for you and Zelda. :)
After a failed attempt at college (not because of grades, it was just a very bad experience for me) I was going to "take the year off of college to collect myself," well im in my second year off, and might take online classes at some point when I feel i can financially and mentally handle it. But for now I'm saving money and paying my parents some rent, which for the most part works out, i am looking for a cheap apartment that my sister and i can share. An outside kennel could be an option, I have been looking them up to see if one comes up cheap on craigslist. I do live in a town, so that probably wont be an option if she doesnt like being left outside, but it is something i could try, she does love to be outside. She loved it when we went camping! Thank you Marbury for your support :)

Sorry you're having such a rough go! I know this wont necessarily fix your situation, but it might help. Prior to coming to us, we were told Heidi was just left in a room where she couldn't destroy anything and had her muzzle stuck in a crate so bad that she still has scars. The first step was teaching her that the crate was good/safe by feeding her in it, giving treats for going in voluntarily. We then did as others suggested and made coming-going not a big deal by ignoring until she was calm at our return. This made it manageable, but there was still a period of crying/whining after we left. Now, I've invested in a remote controlled treat dispenser (which can also be used to train other things also), so that we can reward (she's extremely food driven) for when we open/shut doors, and for us being out of the house for extended periods of time. The treats will be phased out as she starts to associate us leaving as a good thing...or at least not a bad thing...and a time for her to relax. Hope any of this helps. Hang in there!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Thank you for the idea of a treat dispenser! I didn't even know they made those. It would have to be a super high value treat!

Forti Flora is an aid to balance their GI tract. Vetasyl is a fiber supplement that creates a normal stool. Unlike humans fiber helps dogs with Diarrhea does not give it to them. You can get it on 1800petmeds or at your vet. No script is needed it is 100% natural. The bottle says it relieves constipation but I use it for lose stools and usually see a difference in less than a day and within a few days normal stool
That is very interesting! I wrote it in my phone, thank you :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update:

Zelda has normal stools! Yay! Crossing my fingers it sticks this time. Very slowly adding her normal food. And will go from there.

Zelda's separation anxiety only seems to be doing worse. Tried asking one of the vets about medication options, just to get more information. But will be asking another vet because she didnt seem to know very much about it. So im still working on that. My next pay check i am putting towards new ideas for helping her anxiety.

Today my older brother came from Iowa. Zelda has never met him. I told him about Zelda's behavior. And asked him before i took her out of her kennel, to ignore her- no talk, no eye contact, etc. So I brought her upstairs on her leash (like usual) and he was sitting around with the family talking and i brought her around so she saw his back. she sniffed him and started to play with my sisters dog and they played for like 15 minutes. She went up to him occasionally and sniffed him, no barking or lunging. I was VERY impressed with this!! What a good girl! I think the fact he wasnt a threa, by ignoring her, and the fact she was distracted with playing with her sister- really helped this situation. Anyways she was doing really good. And i got her chicken/rice/BB mix together and started doing some obedience around my brother. She wasn't doing anything aggressive towards him. So my brother felt comfortable and i felt it would be okay for him to give her the command sit for a treat. And she did good! She sat for him and looked at the food intently. No threatening body language. He got up and walked to the other side of the room and said, "come" and she ran over but ran past him, and thats when i knew, i went past her comfort zone. She ran past him and ran all the way around the house to the other side of him and starting barking at him. So i grabbed her leash, put the food away, and took her to the other room, and asked my brother to ignore her completely. And explained that i clearly went to far with Zelda, but that she did really good in the beginning.. I think he felt offended and perhaps nervous. And i did feel my heart sink and i felt guilty for not stopping at a positive point. Later when he was in the kitchen and i was too, she came over and smelled him and started to walk in her direction with his hands in a "shooing" motion, and she barked and barked at him and looked like she tried to nip his hand. so i grabbed her leash again and i said no..
Going to try and take a walk with my brother and her later and still have him no touch, eye contact, or talking to her. I clearly went to fast to soon. And that is my fault, not Zelda's.
Honestly, I am worried about her nipping a person. At this point its all about management. And i am learning how to do this properly. My first dog happens to be fear aggressive, have separation anxiety, tries to eat our cats, possible HD and several other pretty big things. It is a lot of work, especially for someone like me. Thankfully, she is such a sweetheart which helps me keep pushing forward and very intelligent which helps me have hope that most of these things can be managed with training.

Just to add, I am not trying to take away the fact this has been emotionally and physically draining for me. I love my dog to pieces and have hope we can work through these things. But right now I just wish i had some support group.. Perhaps thats why i joined this forums, because i knew i needed all the help and support i can get.

·
Registered
28 Posts
just wanted to add some info...

my GSD was having diarrhea issues for a while when in her crate. I would come home and she would have gone inside of it. She does have some anxiety issues as she barks when we leave.

We have cats, and I believe it helps her to some extent. If another animal is in the room that she can watch (like the cats or my in-laws dog), she generally has something to focus on and I think it acts to calm her. You could try getting a simple animal like a hamster and placing the cage next to her crate during the day. They are rather low maintenance. I say this because a family member has one and my dog will sit next to the cage and just watch it for long periods of time.

Something else to consider is maybe she is having urgency issues as mine was. After playing with many types of food (way to much). We found that the wet food we mix with her dry food was causing the issue. Specifically anything with carrots in it. We got her on a vet prescribed "sensitive digestion" food (just to be safe)... after removing all wet food with carrots... it did the trick.

she still has issues, but she is now a couple years old and is doing much better i think...

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Get some plain yogurt and cottage cheese and mix in with her food.

Generic bulk is fine.

Mix a couple of heaping tablespoons in with their food, or give it separately as a treat. It is cheap, natural and nutritious.

The bacteria that make the yogurt and cheese are beneficial in the gut and can help with diarrhea I've found.

Anyway, it can't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just wanted to add some info...

my GSD was having diarrhea issues for a while when in her crate. I would come home and she would have gone inside of it. She does have some anxiety issues as she barks when we leave.

We have cats, and I believe it helps her to some extent. If another animal is in the room that she can watch (like the cats or my in-laws dog), she generally has something to focus on and I think it acts to calm her. You could try getting a simple animal like a hamster and placing the cage next to her crate during the day. They are rather low maintenance. I say this because a family member has one and my dog will sit next to the cage and just watch it for long periods of time.

Something else to consider is maybe she is having urgency issues as mine was. After playing with many types of food (way to much). We found that the wet food we mix with her dry food was causing the issue. Specifically anything with carrots in it. We got her on a vet prescribed "sensitive digestion" food (just to be safe)... after removing all wet food with carrots... it did the trick.

she still has issues, but she is now a couple years old and is doing much better i think...
Oh, yes Wet food is defiantly a big no no for Zelda! Thank goodness her diarrhea is under control now though! I am slowly adding the things back into her diet. But I do not do very much at a time.

Get some plain yogurt and cottage cheese and mix in with her food.

Generic bulk is fine.

Mix a couple of heaping tablespoons in with their food, or give it separately as a treat. It is cheap, natural and nutritious.

The bacteria that make the yogurt and cheese are beneficial in the gut and can help with diarrhea I've found.

Anyway, it can't hurt anything.
I have heard of yogurt before. I give her pumpkin in her kong, but will rotate with yogurt every once in a while. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts