German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
too let him off lead haha

Heres the issue Kai is not %100 with recall, He comes maybe 6/10 times. The other 4 he either is sniffing things ect.

Ive had him on a 100ft line and he does okay, stays with me 90% of the time and other 10% hes doing his own thing but still with in 100ft of me and does come when called if he sees im far away

we go to a park with allot of dogs (its not a dog park it just has a lake which is popular with dog owners) and theres plenty of dogs all off lead. Ive tried taking kai there but the 100ft lead just gets in the way of the other owners and dogs and i feel like a wally. I feel sorry for kai because the only dog interaction he gets is on a lead

Ive let him off once in this park and that was because the owners persuaded me too. He was good and stayed around the people and other dogs smelling their butts and all the other good dog stuff but thats it

This park has no major roads and is quite busy. Its massive and surrounded my a lake. Do you think it'll be okay to let kai off just around the dogs so he can get some good interaction ?

When we are alone (just me, kai and brother/dad) he responds very well and always stays with us.

What do you think i should do as im only trying to do whats best for kai

thanks
dylan

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would not let Kai off leash unless he is in a secure fenced in area until and if he is 100% reliable off leash. Sure, right now, when Kai is off leash with other dogs he is fine, but it only takes one dog that either charges Kai or Kai doesn't like for an incident to happen and unless the other dog is bigger, Kai will get the blame. The blame means that you could be fined if the owners report you and/or have to pay vet expenses if the other dog is hurt. So to me, the risk isn't worth it. I am speaking from experience here, I used to think like you - Sting needed to play, but my Sting is not 100% off leash reliable and I ended up paying the vet bill.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not let Kai off leash unless he is in a secure fenced in area until and if he is 100% reliable off leash. Sure, right now, when Kai is off leash with other dogs he is fine, but it only takes one dog that either charges Kai or Kai doesn't like for an incident to happen and unless the other dog is bigger, Kai will get the blame. The blame means that you could be fined if the owners report you and/or have to pay vet expenses if the other dog is hurt. So to me, the risk isn't worth it. I am speaking from experience here, I used to think like you - Sting needed to play, but my Sting is not 100% off leash reliable and I ended up paying the vet bill.

Thanks for your input but cant that happen on leash too?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Agree, and I am still careful on the leash, but the leash gives me control. Without the leash there is no real control over my dog who, yes, will stay by me when there is nothing else better to do :) I did use an e-collar - it did help to train him out of running after deer, but for other dogs, which he could reach - he was in high drive and ignored the shock. My husky and aussie were both the same way. Interesting with my aussie who I adopted when he was 4 yrs. old - he came with the stipulation by his former owner that he would not be let off leash because of his unreliability, and that was the reason she rehomed him.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
only you know if your dog is ready for off leash. test him
and proof him in an area that's fenced in.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Riley has very good recall off lead in the back yard and on lead wherever we have been, but other than the backyard I have not tested him off lead.

My trainer suggested I keep the long lead on him in case he bolts I can hopefully step on the lead. I have not tried that yet, but when we do test him off lead or with loose lead it will be at the park on the baseball field. It's totally fenced in, but gives him room to run and explore. I will go early in the morning before a lot of people are in the park.

That's the safest place I can find around me to test and train him. Is there any place like that around you?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Riley has very good recall off lead in the back yard and on lead wherever we have been, but other than the backyard I have not tested him off lead.

My trainer suggested I keep the long lead on him in case he bolts I can hopefully step on the lead. I have not tried that yet, but when we do test him off lead or with loose lead it will be at the park on the baseball field. It's totally fenced in, but gives him room to run and explore. I will go early in the morning before a lot of people are in the park.

That's the safest place I can find around me to test and train him. Is there any place like that around you?

Ive had a long lead on kai just in case he bolts and he didnt, he just stuck around me.

There is nowhere like that around me, there are some tennis courts that are fenced but the fence has warn and are holes at the bottom

·
Registered
187 Posts
How old is Kai?
My pup walks off leash since day one. To be honest, the first few days have been kind of "messy" because the recall wasn't 100%, but that wasn't a big surprise. We worked on the recall in our garden with her breakfast, lunch and dinner and it wasn't a problem after a few days anymore.

If they are in the middle of the play I don't even try the recall because I know she wouldn't come anyway so just wait for the right moment to call & reward.
Additionally she didn't (resp doesn't ;)) get food before I take her out for a walk so that she's a little hungry and wants to eat as soon as she comes to me (in the beginning I take "really great treats" with me to reward if she comes to me while playing with another dog).
And if your dog is into the game a little too much, just run away and call his name, they usually follow (unless -again- they are in the middle of their game).
I would just try it and let him off leash! And I would try it rather sooner than later, it's always easiest when they are young and a little "insecure". :)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
You know your dog better than we do.

If you've already done this once and had no problems, and your dog stayed nearby, exhibited appropriate social manners, and came back without much fuss, I personally would feel fine letting him off lead in that environment.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How old is Kai?
My pup walks off leash since day one. To be honest, the first few days have been kind of "messy" because the recall wasn't 100%, but that wasn't a big surprise. We worked on the recall in our garden with her breakfast, lunch and dinner and it wasn't a problem after a few days anymore.

If they are in the middle of the play I don't even try the recall because I know she wouldn't come anyway so just wait for the right moment to call & reward.
Additionally she didn't (resp doesn't ;)) get food before I take her out for a walk so that she's a little hungry and wants to eat as soon as she comes to me (in the beginning I take "really great treats" with me to reward if she comes to me while playing with another dog).
And if your dog is into the game a little too much, just run away and call his name, they usually follow (unless -again- they are in the middle of their game).
I would just try it and let him off leash! And I would try it rather sooner than later, it's always easiest when they are young and a little "insecure". :)
Sorry for late rply, just got my laptop back. Kai is 14 months old :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys :) so tomorow a bunch of people want to go have a picnic at the park i try train kai re call with. Its going to be PACKED as its the first week of actual british summer. Because there will be alot of people im thinking of putting him on the 10ft lead instead of the 100ft one so it wont get in everyones way. Im also thinking of getting there early and just walk him round so he gets tired :) anyone else add anything to what i can do?:)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also another thing, when we go itll be around 23-25 (highs of 77f). Will this be to hot for kai? Im going to bring his water bottle but should i even not bring him as it might be too hot? plus running around ect

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
My puppy (13 weeks) has been running around in 90-100 degree weather (cold front came through Texas .. yay!), we would LOVE to have some 70 degree weather as the high! ;)

One other thing you have to think about too is even if he doesn't bolt, what if he is playing with another dog that bolts, will he follow that dog? Most likely, yes. I'm paranoid I guess.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My puppy (13 weeks) has been running around in 90-100 degree weather (cold front came through Texas .. yay!), we would LOVE to have some 70 degree weather as the high! ;)

One other thing you have to think about too is even if he doesn't bolt, what if he is playing with another dog that bolts, will he follow that dog? Most likely, yes. I'm paranoid I guess.
yes he will probably bolt but its not a dog park and most dogs are well behaved and stay near the lake. He once did bolt (when he was younger) when the other dog owner called his dog kai followed :) if we are alone his recall is really good

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
No, you yourself dont feel confident in recall. I saw my friends dog run into the street and get hit and run and he died. I work on recall by playing lots of hide and seek, in and out of the house. If she looks away or runs to a squirrel I hide, she finds me like a pro. Now she doesnt let me out of her sight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts