German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rented a cabin last week near The Pictured Rocks. Very dog friendly owner, (sweet little 80 year woman), and affordable, just in case anyone is interested. We had a wonderful time, although Tess for the first time showed that she's 7, a sobering thought. She swam a lot, wrestled with Della, but little things showed some slow downs for her. Glad we can take them up with us when we go. So just a few pictures to share. I can't seem to flip 2 of them up, dang it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And the Equiderma Horse Spray was great. We had time of biting flies but we didn't have any problems with them landing. It's safe for people and dogs, so we used it on everyone.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can message you her number. The cabin is not fancy but had everything we needed. Electric, full bathroom, and Dish tv, so not rustic to us. Dogs aren't allowed on some of the Pictured Rocks trails so we just left the girls in the cabin when we hiked there.

·
Registered
27,258 Posts
we stayed there a couple years ago in a small house called Eagles Nest. I really liked it, it was very dog friendly and the back yard was extra private. Now I see it is listed as an airb&b.https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/21956498

It was disappointing that the trails to most of the falls are not dog friendly. We had to leave the dogs back at the rental when we hiked. But for a few of them, they are dangerous and very erosive so I can see why dogs are not allowed. I hope the recent rains didn't erode the amazing trails.
Your photos are wonderful. This is one of the most beautiful places in Michigan, if not the MOST!

Reactions: ksotto333

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
My grandparents in law live up there. I had no idea it was so beautiful. Wife and I will have to go and bring the pups of course.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we stayed there a couple years ago in a small house called Eagles Nest. I really liked it, it was very dog friendly and the back yard was extra private. Now I see it is listed as an airb&b.https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/21956498

It was disappointing that the trails to most of the falls are not dog friendly. We had to leave the dogs back at the rental when we hiked. But for a few of them, they are dangerous and very erosive so I can see why dogs are not allowed. I hope the recent rains didn't erode the amazing trails.
Your photos are wonderful. This is one of the most beautiful places in Michigan, if not the MOST!

Our cabin was near the trailheads for Mosquito Beach and Chapel Rock. We didn't hike Chapel, but the trail to Mosquito was fairly solid. Bears have been seen in that section, all we saw a an extremely large porcupine. Our favorite beaches are Grand Marais, Lake Superior State Forest Campground, and Whitefish Bay and they are all dog friendly, but a bit of a drive from this cabin. Miners Beach was close and dog friendly also, I'm not sure about Miners Falls. Tahquamenon Falls State Parks are dog friendly.

Reactions: onyx'girl

·
Registered
27,258 Posts
One thing I love about the UP, you can pull over to several roadside rest areas along Lake Superior and Lake Michigan and enjoy the coast for free and they are never busy.
The shorelines are so accessible and not on a dune or private property.

I live in SWest MI and Lake Michigan is so private and not even viewable from most main roads compared to being in the UP.
I can't wait to return!

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
And the Equiderma Horse Spray was great. We had time of biting flies but we didn't have any problems with them landing. It's safe for people and dogs, so we used it on everyone.
Glad you enjoyed your trip, sounds like a nice break from the neighborhood. I’m curious about what you used on your dogs for bugs. We don’t usually have a lot of insects to deal with, especially when compared to back east. This year seems to be an exception with mosquitoes and deer flies, we got murdered by both this past weekend. I need to find some relief for them while hiking and camping.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
I haven't been to the U.P. in a very long time. I loved poking around Superior. Thanks for the photos and stirring up memories.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nigel, I bought a bottle of Equiderma horse spray for flies. They had great reviews, and said safe for people and dogs. I made sure their ears were sprayed well and then just a light spray everywhere else. The flies stayed away from them. I put it on my arms and legs also.

Reactions: onyx'girl

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nigel, I bought a bottle of Equiderma horse spray for flies. They had great reviews, and said safe for people and dogs. I made sure their ears were sprayed well and then just a light spray everywhere else. The flies stayed away from them. I put it on my arms and legs also.

Reactions: Nigel

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
With neem/aloe correct?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One thing I love about the UP, you can pull over to several roadside rest areas along Lake Superior and Lake Michigan and enjoy the coast for free and they are never busy.
The shorelines are so accessible and not on a dune or private property.

I live in SWest MI and Lake Michigan is so private and not even viewable from most main roads compared to being in the UP.
I can't wait to return!

That's what we like so much also. There are so many places to access the Lake and beaches, and there's hardly anyone else around. We carry leashes in case someone else shows up but we just let the dogs relax, play and swim. We're circling Superior in September, but without the dogs. Can't wait.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts