German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would let everyone know that Tyson is doing well! We have decided to change his name. I wasn't sure he would be able to catch on to a new name..but honestly he wasn't really responding well to his anyway...lol I don't know if it was from lack of training or him just being a young dog still..but he does respond to his new name already! My husband named him Kafka.

I took some photos this morning as he was running around with my other female. He seems to be adjusting well..the black on his skin previously is slowly going away..he has small tiny hairs on all of his bald spots now and his ears have more hair on them. So, I think the medication the vet gave me is working! He's also on a better diet and has a very healthy appetite! He will eat as much as I give him. We finished our two weeks of Satin Balls included in his meal..he gained about 9lbs. He weighed 61lbs when we first took him to the vet about two weeks ago and he is around 70lbs last I weighed him. The vet wants to see him at around 75lbs. So, we're making progress!

Most importantly he's happy and getting the care he needs, finally! He's in a home to stay.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thank you for taking care of this boy. He is a beautiful dog (fur loss or not). What a wise soul you can see in his eyes. He is very blessed to have found you. I cant wait to see more pictures of his progress. I love his new name.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You are an amazing person.. the pictures are beautiful and so is Kafka!! Can I ask what Satan Balls are?? I havn't seen your post before..does he have mange? You have one lucky dog there and Im sure you feel lucky as well :) Thank you for saving him !

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I was going to say the same thing about his eyes! He's looking so much better and his new name suits him. A whole new name for a whole new life.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Satin Balls are a recipe made to help put weight on malnourished dogs. I have heard they are also used for dogs entering a dog show to help put on a few lbs as well as add a nice gloss to the coat! I actually heard about them on this site.

Here is one post on them that I found: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/142544-satin-balls.html

It was a pain mixing it..and I had to mix half and then mix the other half..and I put them into quart size bags and mixed in a portion with his morning meal and the next portion with his evening meal. I also used them to hide his pills since he absolutely loved the stuff!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am going to try that thanks ;)!!! My new kiddo Kendra is very skinny and Im having a horrendous time getting weight on her. She's on Blue Buffalo dry with canned mixed in and eating 5 1/2 cups a day but losing weight. No parasites either :(. Congrats on the new addition

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
He is looking good! Love the name, thanks for taking him in. He looks so happy now.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
How rewarding to see progress! Nice job. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
He looks happy...it takes a special person to bring that out in a rescue. He is lucky to have found such a good home!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts