German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're home from the vet and Stosh has two eyes! The bullet entered just below and exited at his shoulder. The bullet went under all that loose puppy skin without damaging his orbit, jaw or shoulder. Naturally there's a lot of swelling so it's too soon to tell if his eyesight will be ok or not. Stosh did so well, he's such a good strong well-mannered pup he obeyed everyone, never even growled or struggled, didn't need to be sedated for examination. Since there was no bullet, the vet said it would be hard to prove a case against the guy, unless he admitted his guilt. My husband is having a talk with him tonight- if he answers his door. Thanks for all the good thoughts and support, it really helps a lot more than you can imagine.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Glad your Stosh is ok, pray his sight will not be affected. :)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Thank goodness! That is great news, it could have been so much worse. I hope the jerk takes full responsiblity, pays the vet bills, and learned a lesson. Keep us posted on Stosh and let us know how the 'talk' goes.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Good to hear Stosh is doing well considering...I'll pray for a speedy recovery :)

·
Registered
31,989 Posts
That's great news! I've been thinking about him all day.

·
Registered
302 Posts
We're home from the vet and Stosh has two eyes! The bullet entered just below and exited at his shoulder. The bullet went under all that loose puppy skin without damaging his orbit, jaw or shoulder. Naturally there's a lot of swelling so it's too soon to tell if his eyesight will be ok or not. Stosh did so well, he's such a good strong well-mannered pup he obeyed everyone, never even growled or struggled, didn't need to be sedated for examination. Since there was no bullet, the vet said it would be hard to prove a case against the guy, unless he admitted his guilt. My husband is having a talk with him tonight- if he answers his door. Thanks for all the good thoughts and support, it really helps a lot more than you can imagine.
That's so strange that there's no exit wound, but there's also no bullet. So the fact that he was shooting and an obvious bullet wound isn't enough?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yes!! I'm so glad there was no problem with his eye! He's such a strong little puppy, this is great news.

Get better soon, Stosh!

·
Registered
470 Posts
OMG! I just read your post. I am SO relieved that Stoss is okay. How horrible what has happened to him. I, too, live in a remote area where neighbors are shooting off assault rifles in their backyards like there's no tomorrow. Makes me cringe when my dogs are out back playing.
I hope he recovers fully.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Thanks so much for the update on Stosh! So glad that his eyesight isn't affected. :D Hope the wounds heal up quick.

Did the vet say the wound was caused by a bullet entering and exiting Stosh? Wouldn't that be enough to make a case? Hope your husband has a "nice" talk with your neighbor.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
glad to hear he has no permanent damage he was lucky, and what a sweetheart he is, how can someone hurt him, what a loser!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Thanks for the update, I was lookinjg for it. Now, it sounds weird to me that only because it is no bullet you don't have a case, after all, you were there, and the vet should be able to tell "this is a shot wound".

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Did they do xrays? Any shrapnel?

My dog was shot while on the run from another foster home while she was in TN. Everything looked fine until she came up here, I took her in for her first vet appointment and she had a heart murmur. We believe that the shrapnel caused a giant AV fistula to form, there was a lot more to the story, but just wanted to check on that and to suggest maybe going in for another exam in a couple of weeks.

:( So many threads about shooting dogs that come on your property and we see it happening to a dog right here. So unnecessary and glad this turned out okay.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I am glad he is okay! You might not have thought of it but take some pictures of his wounds now. It may help in court later.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I'm glad to hear that Stosh has both of his eyes, and will be ok. I've been thinking of him all day, the poor little guy. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did take a few pictures- and the guy admitted he shot Stosh in front of other people. And there's no doubt it was a gunshot wound. Stosh just ate some dinner, got on his bed and checked to make sure none of his other parts were shot off- now that he knows he still has everything, he's sleeping. Thanks for all the support and good wishes

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Very glad that Stosh is okay. I was wondering about it all day!

Not to be rude or anything, but what exactly would you try doing (or what leg would you stand on) taking the neighbor to court? Stosh was on his property and unleashed, wasn't he? It sounds to me like the neighbor was in the clear (as unfortunate as that is) shooting anything on his property. It would be nice if he'd pay the vet bills anyway though. Too bad most people now don't have a moral compass. I'm just trying to understand that though, maybe I misunderstood what exactly happened?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts