German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few weeks ago about my 2 year old GSD limping on and off from a hip or knee problem (99% sure now it's the knee). Our vet didn't seem to think Xrays or an MRI were necessary right off the bat and recommended we try resting her for a few weeks. My hubby also spent some time icing her knee and massaging it gently.

She is leaps and bounds better now. It seems like the biggest problem for her knee is when she gets herself OFF the sofa (sometimes she sort of slithers off and it must bother her knee when she does that). In fact, the very first time she came up lame she had JUST gotten off the sofa. It didn't occur to me at the time that there could a connection. We've gotten pretty strict about letting her on the couch. If we do let her up, we pick her up and put her on the floor when she wants to get down. We're also still limiting her activity out in the yard (or trying very, very hard to, anyway).

It's been about two weeks now and the limping is about 95% gone. It looks like she's still favoring the uninjured leg a little bit when she stands. We're going to continue to rest her for a few more weeks and see how much more improvement we see. And I think when it warms up again we're going to start taking her swimming, which should help strengthen the legs without putting stress on her joints.

Hooray for progess, and a happy, healthy pup. :)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
:) glad she's better. it is so hard to keep them from exercising sometimes

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Glad that she is feeling better. A lot of dogs with knee injuries have ligament problems in the knee. Did your vet do a drawer test? With ligament injuries they can often get better with rest then worse with exercise. So just something to be aware of in case you start to experience lameness again. Rest, or conservative management, can be a good approach to take but you must be strict with it for at least 8 weeks so scar tissue can form then you ease back into activity. Hopefully this is not your pups problem though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts