German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive had a few posts about this new guy, he is actually a year more or less, and very much still a pup.
So he was a stray and when taken to my trainer was doing a lot better with her, but after she gave him to her apprentice, thinking she could do better with her, he was not let out, kept cooped up in a kennel all day. Hit and yelled at when he barked.
Now with me, i have been giving him plenty of play and runs and he isn't doing to bad at all!
Great on walks. Not bad in the kennel. He does whine and bark but that is because he gets bored, cause he is a puppy!
So his only problems i am noticing is the impatient whining and barking, a little bit of separation anxiety. And my least favorite.. He screams when he is uncomfortable, and by this i mean, touching his paws, brushing him. touching his lower back, hawks. How can i get by this?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Get your dog checked out by the vet to rule out any physical disease or infirmities that make him scream. That's not normal dog behavior and when your dog is in distress, he can't tell you he's sick!

As for trust, that's something that's going to take lots of time and patience to build. You can't rush developing a rapport with a German Shepherd, especially right after he's been brought into a new home. Keep your expectations realistic as you re-socialize him.

First thing is to get him to the vet to be checked out and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get your dog checked out by the vet to rule out any physical disease or infirmities that make him scream. That's not normal dog behavior and when your dog is in distress, he can't tell you he's sick!

As for trust, that's something that's going to take lots of time and patience to build. You can't rush developing a rapport with a German Shepherd, especially right after he's been brought into a new home. Keep your expectations realistic as you re-socialize him.

First thing is to get him to the vet to be checked out and let us know how it goes. Good luck!
He has been checked out and he is perfectly healthy, im wondering if something bad traumatized him or if he just doesn't trust?
i was working on dremeling his toes today, he screamed for the first paw but was good for the second. I praised him VERY much, i also brushed him calmly and slowly and he was doing okay in some areas. He has a very impatient, don't touch me attitude, but very loving at the same time.
He doesn't listen very well yet either, but we are working on it!

·
Registered
624 Posts
He has been checked out and he is perfectly healthy, im wondering if something bad traumatized him or if he just doesn't trust?
i was working on dremeling his toes today, he screamed for the first paw but was good for the second. I praised him VERY much, i also brushed him calmly and slowly and he was doing okay in some areas. He has a very impatient, don't touch me attitude, but very loving at the same time.
He doesn't listen very well yet either, but we are working on it!

That's good to hear! I think you have to take it slow. German Shepherds are not inclined to make immediate friends or to be a lapdog. They are the most cat-like dog I've ever encountered. They will bond to you and its a long process. They come to trust someone who has earned their trust. If you need a dog that fawns on you and is submissive to your every whim, a German Shepherd isn't the dog for you. If you desire a proud and noble dog that has the self assurance to be a dog that happens to adopt you, then you've found your match. As I already said, this takes patience and time. In the end, the rewards are worth it!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the difficult dogs, my other GSD and boxer lab mix are two of the most difficult dogs i have ever met, but after the time i put into them they are perfect now. He is like them both combined.
It is very hard to brush him because he wont let me. So i am trying to be slow and praisefull with touch, i am hoping that when he starts to touch me this will get better:)
He is SUCH a gos boy. Im so sad he use to be hit, because with exersize and love he is being such a good boy. He is just a puppy still and deffinatly acts like it! He just needs some work and i am SO willing to put it into him, i am just wondering what ways i need to go about it. As i have never delt with this vocal and sensitive of a dog before. Im affraid of doing somthing wrong!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We took him to green lake, and he is so perfect on the leash, he is good in the car, he is starting to whine less in the kennel, he does like to get into everything though and grab whatever he can find. Even if you are two centimeters away (;

1 - 7 of 7 Posts