German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the history: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/265378-12-wk-pup-low-fever-diarrhea.html

And here's the scoop on the poop with Myah:

Took her to the vet. Of course, she was not running a temperature. However, the vet completely understood that I felt she was warm last night and said that when puppies don't feel good, they can have a transient low temperature because they are stressed. However, a true "fever" to worry about would be one that remains elevated.

At 3:30am, Myah had the squirts. Pudding-to-milkshake variety. This morning at 0700 (I was there first!) the vet checked her out, took her "poop history", time of onset and worming history and said we could to one of two things: we could wait for the poop analysis (which might be off, since it wasn't fresh) and treat what we see, or we could go broad spectrum. We agreed to go broad spectrum and nip whatever buggers might be lurking in the bud.

So, Myah has the powder PanaCur for parasites and Metronidazole for gastroenteritis and/or Giardia.

Couple things I learned:

Wee hours of the morning internet search yielded info on GSD's susceptible to certain drug toxicity if they have the MDR1 gene, which I STRONGLY urge anyone with a GSD to look into. :eek: It includes the major heartworm meds (ivermectin, selamectin and milbemycin oxime), as well as many other types of meds (including metronidazole). After getting concerned, I also learned that the typical dosages of these medications for usual ailments are not at the toxic dosage, even if a GSD is positive for the MDR1 gene. The main issue is treating mange with these meds at high doses, where you would want to run the DNA test to know if it's going to be toxic and need an alternative med or lower dose/longer course. **whew**

Then, the vet and I had a dog food discussion. :cool: I really appreciate his perspective, in that he feels that many dog foods are too expensive and are expressely marketed toward people who may be projecting their own food sensitivities onto dog. However, he did say that some breeds and some individual dogs are indeed different, and in the case of a GSD, he did strongly recommend grain-free. So, once Myah's back on regular kibble (I'm not going the raw route), we will make the gradual switch to grain free.

So, Myah is home with her new special canned mush (Hills I/D) that she doesn't like (what's THIS, mom? :cry:) and rice cooked in chicken broth (yummers!!! :p).

We will get the scoop on the poop tomorrow, but will continue the 5-day regimen anyway.

I learned things. ;)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
sounds good:) I have an aussie who is mutant/mutant for the mdr1 gene. My other dogs are all normal.

I am very careful about what I put into her system. There is a long list on the WSU website and www.busteralert.org site as well

·
Registered
538 Posts
I can't comment on the mdr1 gene, but we went through 7 months of **** with our GSD having chronic diarrhea.

We spent LOTS of money getting various tests done at the vet and on vet gastrointestinal food. While we tested him for EPI (which he doesn't have) we determined he had SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and a 2 month course of the antibiotic Tylan and he was finally better!

God knows I spent countless hours reading about doggy diarrhea in the middle of the night ... It's enough to scare the crap out of anyone!

At 15 months old, Jake has been off commercial dog food for almost 5 months. We consulted with a canine nutritionist and feed Jake a homemade food with appropriate supplements added. All of his digestive and allergy issues have been resolved!

I hope you find out what is wrong with your dog and it isn't anything serious.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Midnight reading...glad I'm not the only one!

Guess I'll know the scoop on the poop tomorrow. Even then, it could be a myriad of things - will the bugger show up? Is it something else? Was it nothing but food change? Who knows. But since she was due for worming, we went all out. Not risking those pesky things creepy crawling into her lungs or heart.

She's so funny with her rice - it is SO CUTE as it sticks to the end of her nose :wub:

She doesn't know WHAT in the world is the mushy canned stuff :crazy: and just licks it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts