German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right section for this, couldn't decide where to put it. Anyways it has been awhile since we have been here. This semesters been an enormous workload for me. Well Duke ended up having another surgery amputating the rest of his leg, which he enjoys alot more. In doing that we found out he has erichlea, tick borne disease. It accounted for his hairloss and weightloss. Well we've got that under control and got his weight up so here he is at roughly 10 months. We've even gotten better at walks,(made it halfway down the block yesterday)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Oh my gosh! He is so handsome and happy!! Love him!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes he's always happy, loves to take pictures. Can never take a picture of him without him giving a big smile!!!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I just went through and read all of your posts and whew Duke sure has been through a lot and so have you and your family. It is wonderful that you brought him into your home. You can see the happiness in his face. Keep up the good work with him. He is such a handsome boy!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Duke is very handsome, glad that he is doing so good!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Sweet boy. My Garth had an amputated leg, two years later lost him to bloat. Be sure you keep him calm and do not allow him to run around for at least an hour after meals. With 3 legs they do more hopping so in my opinion and experience it's even more important to give the food time to start digesting.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Love that smile!! So glad you caught the erlichsiosis in time- it's a rough one. Duke's going to have a happy healthy life thanks to you

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Your Duke's smile just makes my heart warm!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should of worded that better. We did not actually catch the erichlea in time. It is uncurable. It is just treated when symptoms flair up. Luckily so far the disease doesn't effect him too much, at the moment. He still has nose bleeds from time to time, and refuses to eat. We just start him back up on antibiotics whenever symptoms flair. So far it is working now. The vet he has had for some time now, most likely before we ever got him. Luckily the new vet found it during his surgery. His last vet was horrible, never noticed, even though the symptoms were right there. Also gave him pretty much a botch surgery. Anyways can someone elaborate on what bloat is for me? Also had a question, is being straight neurotic 75% of the time a trait of gsds or is just him? If it is, will he grow out of it? just wondering thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts