German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original thread: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3650626#post3650626

Long story short, my female rescue mauled an Aussie while she was out jogging off-leash with my fiancé. After consulting multiple professionals, we decided to give her eight weeks with beefed up management and training methods to decide whether or not we should rehome her. My fiancé was traumatized by the event and I was strongly considering it- even contacted a rescue, but they encouraged me to try a few things first. Well, we've made it through four weeks and I'd like to summarize where we are:

* the rescue's advice of reintroducing her to our cat properly and eliminating the use of kennels where the cat can tease her was spot on. She has not growled at the cat since we started doing this and they are now getting along fine.

* I have gotten much more stringent with NILIF and I have been taking her to the dog park (outside the fence on leash) to do counter-conditioning sessions three times a week. We also do this on our walks. It seems to be helping her reactivity a LOT, but I also don't let her get too close so I'm not sure.

* We have been using a prong collar to walk her and this has pretty much cured her crittering and made it much easier to control her around other dogs. I don't correct her for reactivity- what I do is I do everything I can with redirection to keep a loose leash, and the prong lets me "reel her in" in the event that we lose focus. I have noticed that she responds rather poorly to all but very light corrections, and I think she mostly benefits from knowing that she no longer has the option of dragging me off my feet.

* She isn't ready for an obedience class with other dogs yet, but she did finish her class for reactive dogs and I hope to be able to set up a private lesson with her trainer in about a month to work on counter conditioning with dogs in closer quarters.

* Last but not least, the other dog is fine and went home with some stitches but no serious injuries. Vet bills have been payed and obviously I will never let this happen again.

So, it looks like we can keep her! Worst case scenario, she is a dog that requires some management on her walks. But she has really made some positive strides and I'm hoping this is real progress and not just her suppressing her emotions.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
That's great you will be able to keep her and it sounds like you have a solid training plan to work on her issues. Hats off to you for keeping at it.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Recognizing and handling an issue is such a big part of this. Too many people are in denial about their own, their kids or their pet's behaviors. It's so nice to see someone stepping up to the plate and being responsible about a problem. Hoping you have continued success with your girl.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
So glad your hard work has started to pay off! Kudo's to you for hanging in there and seeing a difference. Continued success to you all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts