German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! Just wanted to share and update for anyone who was reading my last thread or anyone just interested in reading about the progress of my baby :). I wrote up a daily training schedule (planning on writing each one one week at a time) which you can see in the file I attached. I also typed up the notes I wrote for today (I printed the sheet out for ease of taking it to school and to my dad's with me). I will be updating it daily (if possible) so that you can see his progress :). If you have anything helpful to add to my notes for training him, that is appreciated! I'll take some pictures of my baby and post them here tomorrow as well :). Next week my dad and I are going to try to visit a Schutzhund club or two also. Can't wait!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Kody is certainly a busy boy - which he needs and is getting lots of practice - no wonder he is coming along so well.

·
Registered
381 Posts
He's definitely a busy pup :) I'll be doing something similar as far as keeping a daily log and trying to define what we need to work on, on a daily/weekly basis. Good job!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I just realized I forgot to take pictures...oh well. I have attached today's updated log. He did jump up on my back, hump me, and nip at my shoulders and back a couple times today though; any help on how to correct this? It usually happens when he gets overexcited or frustrated (during training- I try not to let this happen though!). I usually cross my arms and either spread my legs apart to get him to lose his grip or push him off (I only do this if he's really hurting me and I can't stand the pain any longer). Sometimes he'll nip at my back and shoulder's when I try to move while he's on me as well. Tips? Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree with you that Kody is probably over excited. My Sting did same at that age. He would get a glint in his eye - then come right at me. I taught him to come to my hand when I held it out - I had a treat in my hand - he had to come, sit/stay then got the treat. It was hard going at first because he was so wound up. I would even have to grab him by the collar and force him into the sit/stay then wait - back up - then have him come slowly to my hand and he got the treat. After a while, all I had to do when he got that look was to hold out my hand and he would come to it. Also I learned to ease up on the training and take breaks - take him for easy off leash walks - let him run and just do what he wanted - also alternate the heeling with loose leash time where he could sniff, look around not always having to concentrate on obeying.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Thanks! I just realized I forgot to take pictures...oh well. I have attached today's updated log. He did jump up on my back, hump me, and nip at my shoulders and back a couple times today though; any help on how to correct this? It usually happens when he gets overexcited or frustrated (during training- I try not to let this happen though!). I usually cross my arms and either spread my legs apart to get him to lose his grip or push him off (I only do this if he's really hurting me and I can't stand the pain any longer). Sometimes he'll nip at my back and shoulder's when I try to move while he's on me as well. Tips? Thanks again!
Put him in a down when he's doing this. And mean it when you say DOWN!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I agree with you that Kody is probably over excited. My Sting did same at that age. He would get a glint in his eye - then come right at me. I taught him to come to my hand when I held it out - I had a treat in my hand - he had to come, sit/stay then got the treat. It was hard going at first because he was so wound up. I would even have to grab him by the collar and force him into the sit/stay then wait - back up - then have him come slowly to my hand and he got the treat. After a while, all I had to do when he got that look was to hold out my hand and he would come to it. Also I learned to ease up on the training and take breaks - take him for easy off leash walks - let him run and just do what he wanted - also alternate the heeling with loose leash time where he could sniff, look around not always having to concentrate on obeying.

I do alternate between loose leash walking and heeling :).

Put him in a down when he's doing this. And mean it when you say DOWN!
I will try this, but his down isn't 100%. Maybe around 85%? I usually take him out of the crate and put him outside with water when I first get home so that I can feed and water my Yorkie in the house. Takes only like 5 or 10 minutes, and then I get my training and walking stuff and go out back to get Kody. First thing he does is try to push past me through the door, but I block him and close the door behind me. That's usually when he jumps up on me. He basically forgets all his training until I do a few commands and finally get him calmed enough to put him in a sitz and bleiben to put on his leash. What should I do if he doesn't lay down? I highly doubt he will. Anything I should do instead? Thanks for the input guys! I will post update later and pictures tomorrow (maybe... I should put a reminder on my phone since I can't seem to remember haha).

at nine months I would use a prong and give a correction for it. then reward for the correct behavior.
I personally don't like prong collars on any dog, but I wouldn't use one on a pup under a year to a year and a half. I don't like them in general though because often the dog is only behaved when he has a prong collar on, and isn't really trained. Many dogs will revert back to their behaviors on a normal collar once they learn they don't get the correction with that on.

This reminded me, Kody chomped through his leash today when I looked away for two seconds!! It was nylon... should I get a leather one? What is a good, strong material that preferably won't hurt my hands when he pulls (he's pretty good about not pulling... until he sees a leaf, flying bug, or car, and he absolutely has to chase it -.-. I've been working with him on getting used to passing cars thugh, so that's going well)

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
"I will try this, but his down isn't 100%. Maybe around 85%? I usually take him out of the crate and put him outside with water when I first get home so that I can feed and water my Yorkie in the house. Takes only like 5 or 10 minutes, and then I get my training and walking stuff and go out back to get Kody. First thing he does is try to push past me through the door, but I block him and close the door behind me. That's usually when he jumps up on me. He basically forgets all his training until I do a few commands and finally get him calmed enough to put him in a sitz and bleiben to put on his leash. What should I do if he doesn't lay down? I highly doubt he will. Anything I should do instead? Thanks for the input guys! I will post update later and pictures tomorrow (maybe... I should put a reminder on my phone since I can't seem to remember haha)."

Can you reverse it - take care of the Yorkie first, then let Kodie out of his crate and go outside. Kodie has missed you and is excited to see you that is why he gets so upset and tries to follow you back inside.

"I personally don't like prong collars on any dog, but I wouldn't use one on a pup under a year to a year and a half. I don't like them in general though because often the dog is only behaved when he has a prong collar on, and isn't really trained. Many dogs will revert back to their behaviors on a normal collar once they learn they don't get the correction with that on."

I agree with you.

"This reminded me, Kody chomped through his leash today when I looked away for two seconds!! It was nylon... should I get a leather one? What is a good, strong material that preferably won't hurt my hands when he pulls (he's pretty good about not pulling... until he sees a leaf, flying bug, or car, and he absolutely has to chase it -.-. I've been working with him on getting used to passing cars thugh, so that's going well)"

He will chomp through a leather one just as fast. About the only thing he couldn't chomp through is a chain leash - you would have to wear gloves. For not hurting your hands - I use the Walk In Sync leash it is nyon but has 2 covered hand grips . For the pulling - it helps to anticipate when he will lunge after something and turn suddenly -change direction - even bump right into him -praise him when he follows.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Can you reverse it - take care of the Yorkie first, then let Kodie out of his crate and go outside. Kodie has missed you and is excited to see you that is why he gets so upset and tries to follow you back inside.
I can, it's just annoying to listen to him bark. Just about the only time I hear him bark in the crate is when I first get home and he hears me putting food in a dog bowl or running the water. I never give him attention or let him out while he's barking, yet he's been doing this for months. Will he ever give up, or is he just too excited?

He will chomp through a leather one just as fast. About the only thing he couldn't chomp through is a chain leash - you would have to wear gloves. For not hurting your hands - I use the Walk In Sync leash it is nyon but has 2 covered hand grips . For the pulling - it helps to anticipate when he will lunge after something and turn suddenly -change direction - even bump right into him -praise him when he follows.
Ugh. I guess I'll have to be extra careful about not letting the leash get in front of him/in his way (I was sitting in the family room with him when it happened; pretty sure it was because I accidentally let the leash hang right in front of his face). Other than that, he's never chewed on or touched the leash with his mouth before. I'll look into the Walk In Sync leash.

That's exactly what I do for the regular occasional trying-to-pull-ahead-of-me-and-go-faster pulling, but if I don't keep at least his slight attention, or a leaf crosses his path, I'm doomed for the rest of the walk. After that initial sight of the flying leaf or bug, he runs around in every direction, in circles, chasing every one he sees (and there are a LOT). He won't even come over to me for treats.

Daily update:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I do alternate between loose leash walking and heeling :).

I will try this, but his down isn't 100%. Maybe around 85%? I usually take him out of the crate and put him outside with water when I first get home so that I can feed and water my Yorkie in the house. Takes only like 5 or 10 minutes, and then I get my training and walking stuff and go out back to get Kody. First thing he does is try to push past me through the door, but I block him and close the door behind me. That's usually when he jumps up on me. He basically forgets all his training until I do a few commands and finally get him calmed enough to put him in a sitz and bleiben to put on his leash. What should I do if he doesn't lay down? I highly doubt he will. Anything I should do instead? Thanks for the input guys! I will post update later and pictures tomorrow (maybe... I should put a reminder on my phone since I can't seem to remember haha).

I personally don't like prong collars on any dog, but I wouldn't use one on a pup under a year to a year and a half. I don't like them in general though because often the dog is only behaved when he has a prong collar on, and isn't really trained. Many dogs will revert back to their behaviors on a normal collar once they learn they don't get the correction with that on.

This reminded me, Kody chomped through his leash today when I looked away for two seconds!! It was nylon... should I get a leather one? What is a good, strong material that preferably won't hurt my hands when he pulls (he's pretty good about not pulling... until he sees a leaf, flying bug, or car, and he absolutely has to chase it -.-. I've been working with him on getting used to passing cars thugh, so that's going well)
I get what your saying but not necessarily true. He's jumping on you, humping and biting. He's nine months old, clearly ignoring isn't working. Sometimes, It's more clear to them to receive one correction so they can stop an go "oh! She doesn't want me to do that. Go it." And move on. There's some things i'd rather correct and get over it quickly and easily. Especially with a large powerful dog.

I'm in no way all about corrections. And I use mostly positive reinforcement with rogue. But when it came to her non stop trying to chase and bite my daughter (prey drive) I finally have one firm correction on a prong. She looked at me as if she suddenly understood it was not ok, and never did it again regardless of what collar she is wearing, or none at all. It was just clear communication. And of course after we played a fun game of tug as reward.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I get what your saying but not necessarily true. He's jumping on you, humping and biting. He's nine months old, clearly ignoring isn't working. Sometimes, It's more clear to them to receive one correction so they can stop an go "oh! She doesn't want me to do that. Go it." And move on. There's some things i'd rather correct and get over it quickly and easily. Especially with a large powerful dog.

I'm in no way all about corrections. And I use mostly positive reinforcement with rogue. But when it came to her non stop trying to chase and bite my daughter (prey drive) I finally have one firm correction on a prong. She looked at me as if she suddenly understood it was not ok, and never did it again regardless of what collar she is wearing, or none at all. It was just clear communication. And of course after we played a fun game of tug as reward for not chasing and biting.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I can, it's just annoying to listen to him bark. Just about the only time I hear him bark in the crate is when I first get home and he hears me putting food in a dog bowl or running the water. I never give him attention or let him out while he's barking, yet he's been doing this for months. Will he ever give up, or is he just too excited?"

At 9 months - he is just too excited. And yes, gsds have staying power. You have just gotten home - that is a big excitement time for Kody. Maybe, if you let him out but on his leash - took him outside for a quick potty and drink - then back inside, in his crate with a treat and take care of the Yorkie.

"Ugh. I guess I'll have to be extra careful about not letting the leash get in front of him/in his way (I was sitting in the family room with him when it happened; pretty sure it was because I accidentally let the leash hang right in front of his face). Other than that, he's never chewed on or touched the leash with his mouth before. I'll look into the Walk In Sync leash.

That's exactly what I do for the regular occasional trying-to-pull-ahead-of-me-and-go-faster pulling, but if I don't keep at least his slight attention, or a leaf crosses his path, I'm doomed for the rest of the walk. After that initial sight of the flying leaf or bug, he runs around in every direction, in circles, chasing every one he sees (and there are a LOT). He won't even come over to me for treats."

When you look into the Walk In Sync leash - here's the link Walk In Sync - The Easiest and Most Humane Way to Walk and Train Your Dog : Home there is a harness that goes with it and a training method - you can view the video - my Sting was acting just the same way and now our walks are a joy.

Also, if you already playing tug with Kody, be sure he ends up winning after a struggle of course. Kody needs an outlet for his drive. That's why I use 2 tugs on leashes - and my Sting waits on the down/stay - I walk ahead - when I give the okay he comes charging - I throw the first tug out - he grabs - I pull, then I drop and grab the other, and so on. When I do give up, I walk away pretending I am the loser, then I turn and praise him - he brings his tugs to me and I reward him when he gives them to me. I use tug as a reward after his daily obedience session.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts