German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To summarize, my boss has an adult son that lives in her home. The Mexican Hairless dog in question is mostly his but she cares for him quite a bit as well. The dog wears a choke collar during the day when everyone is gone and is loose in the house. I just came to be aware of this and set her straight. They simply didn't know its not a "regular" collar but a training collar and that dogs can choke themself if the ring catches on something. By boss immediately saw the danger but was going to let her son actually stop using it. We thought he had gotten the idea over the weekend but the two-year old granddaughter had actually taken it off of him and accidently dropped it in her weeble-wobble treehouse. They found it the next day and he put it back on. Yesterday I sent home a printout of the dangers for her to give him, and she made him remove the choke collar. His retort was "well, what does she think we're supposed to do when he's out in the yard and we need to grab ahold of him?!" I thought this the most idiotic retort from an intelligent individual that I've ever heard. Well, you put a nylon collar on him that won't choke the poor thing! I can't believe the stupidity of even smart people sometimes.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I agree with you and I agree with Lauri, put a collar on the dog right before they go outside, and STILL NOT a choker but a regular collar. My dogs NEVER wear collars indoors, until they go outside to the yard. My yard is fenced in though so most of the time I go outside with them and they are not wearing collars then either. If they are outside playing and rough housing together, no collars.
The only time indoors they are wearing their collars and name tags is when we are expecting people over and I wanna make sure that I can hold them back when people walk in... some people don't appreciate a 100lb shepherd licking their faces and another 50lb shepherd trying to jump up and give them an ear wash.. don't know why...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Quote: "well, what does she think we're supposed to do when he's out in the yard and we need to grab ahold of him?!"
but this is a pretty normal query for people that have never taught their dogs not to bolt out open doors ...
Maybe suggest a martingale collar - easy to slip on when the dog goes outside & if your friend comes home with it & the 2yr old hides the choke again

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually suggested a martingale to her. For one, they are worried about him backing out of the collar during walks and I think the wide ones like grayhounds wear would be good because he has no hair and I'm sure that the soft cotton would be more comfortable for him. We'll see! One step at a time. Right now I'm relieved the choke is off him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts