German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chance is doing fantastic! Down to 1/2 sulfasalzine every other day, 1 metronidazole a day, 15 mg prednisone a day and 1/4 tsp tylan twice a day. His skin infections are under control and the abcess on his tail has healed. He is now 105 lbs and looks great! Once I get him off the sulfasalzine will start reducing his prednisone to 10 mg a day then 5mg then hopefully he can get off it completely in the next three months. One medication at a time. Vet says we can always increase the Tylan if we need to if the diahrea comes back while reducing the prednisone or increase the metronidazole again. Our goal is to have him completely off the sulfasalzine and prednisone by April. He just turned 15 months and looks healthier than he ever has. Considering he was emaciated in August from the IBD he has rebounded wonderfully. Check out the pictures in the photo album, he is finally looking like he should - happy and healthy. I am so excited! LOL

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
this is WONDERFUL news!! You must be thrilled !! HAPPY DANCE!!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
gosh I would have too:)

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, now that he is well enough, we are working with a trainer I used to use with Shane. Melissa at Postive K9. Chance has had some confidence issues, not surprising since he has been sick since he was 4 /12 months old. Now he can finally learn how it is not to be sick all the time! The change in his behavior has been fantastic. He was getting a bit neurotic, but getting that under control now. So much easier to train and work with a dog when they are not sick all the time. I am so happy.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Can't blame a mom for some tears of joy...heck, I'm tearing up just reading about it!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Yah Chance, and I checked our your pictures and you are very handsome! :happyboogie:

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chance has had a setback with the infection/abcess on his tail. There was just a little scab left and thought it would fall off and be done, but a couple days ago, it opened up again, so we are back on Cephalexin for two more weeks. hopefully this will clear up and close for good. He is doing great with everything else!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The scab on his tail just won't go away! Going to call the vet again and get him in hopefully on Saturday. The sore gets a scab and looks like it will heal and then opens up again. Have been on antibiotics on and off since December. Could this be more than a sore that won't heal, know in people this is a sign of skin cancer. He is still on cephalexin right now and the meds will be done this weekend when I take him back for a check. THis started out as an abcess and is 98% better, but won't completely heal. Been fighting this since mid december. I know the prednisone he has to take is probably not helping, but until we can get him off that without his IBD flaring up, not sure what else to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts