German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Buddy will be 8 months old on the 10th of April, Shorty after getting Buddy we noticed he had a aggression issue towards other dogs, so not knowing what to do we went to Petsmart and spoke with their "trainer" they reassured me that they can help us with his issue and to sign up for the classes. So me being niave signed up for the class, There was only one other puppy in the class so it didn't really help, He went through the class and we signed up for the next one. First day of class we come in and there was 8 other dogs and Buddy went nuts, the trainer told me to take him out calm him down and come back in, we had to do this 5 or 6 times. After class was done I went home with a feeling/knowing that this wasn't what Buddy needed, so the search was again on for somebody to help with the issue, while in Pet Food Express giving Buddy a bath the cashier saw how he acted towards other dogs and gave us a card for a trainer that works with these issues. So we called and setup a priavte lesson so she could give us an assesment on what was going on with Buddy and what would be the "plan of attack". So to try and shorten the story up a bit Buddy has made huge leaps and bounds towards his aggression issue and should very soon be able to join in on the play groups the trainer has.. The trainer is Paws In Progress they are in Roseville CA, she has been nothing short of amazing and I would highly recommend her to anybody...Here is a updated pic of my BIG guy...

Here yesterday he got caught digging up and eating our freshly planted Bell Pepper plant...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
He is a handsome fella!

Congrats on finding the right trainer and solving the issue!! Love the success stories :)

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
You and Buddy are great. Love to hear how someone helped their dog have a great life. As for the pepper plant well he thought he should have some more vegetables in his diet. Love the pictures especiaslly the second one. Buddy you rock!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm glad you found good help! Good trainers are SO hard to find

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both, I just feel I owe to not only Buddy, but my family and other families out there for me to have a safe dog,I want to be able to have my son walk him and me not worry. To top it all off it is embarrassing having a dog go nuts when other dogs are walking by....

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I am glad Buddy is improving for you! I am curious to know though how you figured the barking was aggression?Did he get the opportunity to meet the dogs he barked at and truly showed aggression or was it was just that this bark sounded aggressive? What techniques is the trainer teaching you to stop his reactions to the other dogs?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well when we first noticed it was when we were walking in the neighborhood and another dog was walking towards us, Buddy freaked and started growling,showing teeth,hair standing up and barking (viciously) So when we contacted the trainer she setup a private lesson and had one of her dogs in a cage and walked Buddy around to see how he reacted. Buddy acted the same way, but she pointed out that 99% of the time he was backing up while doing it so it was a fear based aggression, 2nd session we had with her she brought in 5 dogs that she has worked with for a while, Buddy had a muzzel on and Ecollar on, he was never shocked, she only used the vibration setting on the collar and what she did was have the people walk their dogs around the room while she had Buddy at the back, only time he was corrected was when he acted as if he was going to attack, he wasn't corrected if he just barked. So the last few sessions have been at the play groups, we show up there is usually about 6-8 dogs running and playing in the training center and we sit in the back corner behind a gate and hang out, dogs come up to the gate, Buddy gets tons of treats during this while acting good, only thing he has on during these are a prong collar and he will recieve a quick correction if he acts up. Before these classes I wasn't able to get him to calm down if there was another dog around, now while walking I can tell him "Buddy No" and 99% of the time he just looks without acting out.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I'm glad things are going so well. The 'caught in the act' picture is adorable. You'll cherish that one for years to come.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
also glad things are working out! He's a handsome dude:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the kind comments, Buddy has been a great addition to our family, just want to make sure that he has every chance possible to be a positive force in our house along with being well-mannered outside of our house...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Figured I would share couple pics from yesterday, GSD's make great pillows LOL, and only require a hug and a belly rub as payment :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts