German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oskar has started being really restless at night. Since we got him, at 8 weeks of age, he has slept in a crate in our bedroom. He's been real good, and only whines when he has to go potty, which now at 10.5 months, is only in the morning. For the past few nights though, he has not wanted to sleep in his crate. We pulled a bed from the livingroom into the bedroom, he'll start out on that bed, then move around onto the carpet, then he'll even go into his crate and lay down. During the night he'll whimper some as he's adjusting himself, wake us up for comfort, I figured that, as he doesn't need to go outside, I checked, and having to go potty wasn't the problem.

Another thing he's doing is laying down more. When waiting for me to get his meal ready, where he usually would sit and watch me, he's laying down. When my husband gives all the dogs biscuits in the morning, he use to sit, now he lays down and waits for my husband to get biscuits, but he does sit up to receive them. Back in early July I took him to the vets, as in mid June he started having a slight limp in his left front, never got any worse, never got any better. Vet could not find anything wrong, gave us some Rimadyl, but after 2 days of that, I quit giving it to him, caused terrible yellow diarrhea. Anyway, that limp cleared up. Last week he banged his left hind leg, somehow, favored it for about 15 minutes, then nothing since. I figure this all may be Pano related, but he's not limping at all. The nighttime restlessness is what is bugging us the most, not because he interrupts our sleep, but because we are worried about him.

Tonight I'm going to give him a buffered aspirin with his dinner, see if that'll help. I saw, during my search on Pano pain, that you should not give aspirin if you give vitamin C, so for a bit I'll nix the C he's getting. I've been giving him Vitamin C along with Cosequin.

I'll also contact the breeder we got Oskar from, see if they have any input/advice. Oh, when I took Oskar to the Vet in July, the Vet did do xrays, nothing showed up, she gave us a freebe too, and xrayed his hips, they are fine.

Last night Oskar was back to normal. Slept in his crate all night without a peep. Hopefully it'll stay that way. He's been fine, playing, eating and pooping and peeing all normal.

Sky Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Did the vet diagnose pano? Did he even mention or consider It? You can test by gently squeezing the long bone of the affected leg. If it’s pano, the dog will groan. Mine never whined, just groaned and repositioned. Your vet might want to do more testing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the vet diagnose pano? Did he even mention or consider It? You can test by gently squeezing the long bone of the affected leg. If it’s pano, the dog will groan. Mine never whined, just groaned and repositioned. Your vet might want to do more testing.
Nope, back in July, did not diagnose Pano. Back then I did squeeze his leg, I had my suspicions, but Oskar didn't give any reaction. And even now, no reaction when I squeeze, but I'm not ruling out Pano, or any other condition.

Thanks for you reply

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
705 Posts
How is you dogs energy level and activity level when you go outside? Still play and run as hard as ever?

I’ve not read about pano pain being only a night time thing.

It is normal for them to change positions and move around at night and it’s also normal for them to be a bit vocal with sigh, moan, or groan. A true whimper is a different matter.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is you dogs energy level and activity level when you go outside? Still play and run as hard as ever?

I’ve not read about pano pain being only a night time thing.

It is normal for them to change positions and move around at night and it’s also normal for them to be a bit vocal with sigh, moan, or groan. A true whimper is a different matter.
He does run and play with his 'sister' a 5 yo BC, but now that you mention it, he does take more 'rest' time outside, but when she wants to play, he keeps up with her. He's always bringing me a ball, or stick, I only throw it a few times for him, but he goes after it like normal.

The other day, maybe the day the nighttime restlessness started, the BC had been running around like crazy, we were testing out our fire suppression system in the late afternoon, and she doesn't like the sound of engines. Oskar usually doesn't do anything when she's like that, but that day, he was trying to keep up with her.

In the past I've heard him change positions in his kennel at night, quite often, but what is going on now is totally different. I've some male family members, tell me when they were teens, their leg bones would hurt at night, so that got me to thinking it may just be Pano.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts