German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted last fall looking for input on how to safely bring a new grandchild into a house with our GSD who is crazy overprotective of house (yes I know I should have better control over him). I did not trust him at all, and he completely surprised me and just confirmed even more what great dogs we have.

I care for my granddaughter a couple times a week while her parents work, and I could not keep Wolfie in his crate all day 2-3 times a week. Ok I could have but I didn't want to.

At first, I did keep him crated and I would just walk past the crate as I was walking the baby to get a feel for his reaction. He looked but did not whine, bark, stare intently or anything else that would cause concern. Since he is young and excitable still I thought that he'd at least whine wanting out to check out what I had in my arms. Nothing from him at all. Just interested indifference. I thought it was rather remarkable.

Then we did keep him crated or on leash in the house for about the first month to be safe, then we started letting him off and teaching him to keep his distance. He never gave any indication of the slightest aggression towards the baby. Curiosity yeah, but more of a curiosity of when can I lick her face.

Since then he has snuck up one time and did lick the side of her face, don't tell her parents. Outside of that I keep him away at all times because I know he's a dog, but mostly because he's an 80 pound bull in a china shop and he could accidentally hurt her.

I can't tell you all how happy I am at this overall outcome. I always tell people GSD's are the best breed, and he has confirmed it (he's my 4th).

So to end this, I want to say a huge thank you to all who gave me advice to that first message. You alleviated my concerns and gave great advice on how to manage him. I'm in your debt. I don't get on here as often as I'd like due to responsibilities, but I'm thankful this resource exists. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Mine are inseparable from the grandkids when they are here. It's been fun to watch them grow and learn together. Congratulations on you granddaughter. It's so much fun.

Reactions: Jake78

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine are inseparable from the grandkids when they are here. It's been fun to watch them grow and learn together. Congratulations on you granddaughter. It's so much fun.
Thank you, it's another sweet time of life, isn't it? My daughter was absolutely convinced that he'd tear her baby apart, and it's been a slow process of getting her to a comfort level, I think she's almost there :)

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
They are amazing dogs! Congratulations on the new grandbaby!

Reactions: Jake78

·
Registered
564 Posts
Great story! I had a few friends with GS when I was in my 20s but we had. Great Dane and a Giant Shnauzer and a toy poodle.
When I was pregnant with my 1 st one and in the hospital my mom found a stray Giant Schnauzer.. and brought her home.. I was a bit concerned.. coming back home with a baby and a totally new large adult dog..we were just fine, that GS lived with us for 11 years, she and the poodle that was a senior at that point were watching over the baby!)
The baby is now 23+ y.o

1 - 6 of 6 Posts