German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, when we first adopted our pretty girl, I came to this forum asking for help: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/748007-looking-tips-our-new-rescue-dog-3.html

Everyone was so helpful and kind that I wanted to provide an update to how Belle is doing.

She's come along really nicely since we first got her. It was a rough first few months, I won't lie. She's 10 months old now. She still jumps or gets nervous when there's a sudden noise (like opening a soda can or sneezing) and still has her little habits like eating a bite of her dinner, walking away, eating another, walking away repetitively...but she's coming out of her shell and we're getting to see her for the sweet, goofy girl she really is.

She really loves to get pets and even rolls over when we're doing her training to let me give her belly rubs (my husband doesn't get this privilege, I'm secretly smug about it 0:)) and goes bananas with licks and boops (when she boops part of our body, usually our faces, with her nose) of gratitude whenever she gets to go on her favorite boulder on the park or gets to go on a car ride. She gets mad when we eat dinner and will make a sort of doggy 'harrumph' noise until she notices the food in her bowl. She lets us know when she has to go out by standing at the door and looking over her shoulder at us, as if she's saying "well...? Ya gonna let me out?" and protects the yard from scary birds and squirrels by running around the yard awkwardly (she's in a sort of awkward, lanky teenager phase). She has two favorite toys which she'll bite and paw to make them squeak, but then snuggles with them while she's sleeping. She still hasn't figured out how to play with us yet (she just looks confused if we start throwing tennis balls around but runs around with it in her mouth like a lunatic when she's on her own) but this past week she's started running around the yard with me, doing play bows and jumping around all happy, so we're making progress.

We're excited to see what she makes of the snow. We're in NE and adopted her from the south so are assuming it will be new to her. We still have a ways to go together but we're getting there!

Puppy tax: https://imgur.com/a/eFBJDr4

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
It sounds like you adopted a really wonderful dog! Thanks for adopting a dog from the South -- there are so many here that need homes.

My one tip is to re-test her for heartworms 6 months from the date of her last test. Hopefully there was already one negative test before she was transported. Sadly, you can't assume it's a "real" result until the negative result is repeated again in about half a year.

Some of the Southern dogs who test negative when they come into the rescue system "turn" HW-positive a few months after adoption due to the HW lifecycle, even though their adopters kept them on prevention (because they arrived in their adoption homes with juvenile worms too young to produce enough antigen for a positive result at first, but too old to be killed off by prevention). I hope that's not the case with your dog, but most northern vets don't know to do this as they see so little HW -- this is a standard adoption protocol down here, so I just want you to be aware.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh that's a great tip, thank you! We have a vet appointment for some vaccination booster shots when she turns a year old which also happens to be six months since she was last tested for heartworm. I'll be sure to mention it to the vet.

Also, she really is a great dog :) she's an oddball but then so are we, so it works I guess!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts