German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Writing helps me and maybe there is more info than what I have read.

The last time I talked of my boy there was a delay in THR surgery in order to loose weight. In January was the new date. I Took him in January with his new waistline but the question of DM came up so another delay for the new hip for a few weeks.

Got the DM results: A/N he’s a carrier (one copy). The Surgeon wanted to wait til April to see if there was any worsening of mobile stability. If not then surgery in April. But Covid 19 hit so had to push it to July.

I recently felt a lump in his left rear leg at his knee and brought him to his general vet to be seen this past Thurs and the vet aspirated it. His vet sent it to pathology and it came back as a Mast Cell Tumor. I was told that It looks to be low grade but won’t be certain until the lump is removed. Vet is calling Tufts and I’ll be scheduling ASAP.

I’ve been reading a lot and am praying that it’s stage 1 but even with that I don’t know how they will get clean margins without disturbing the knee and bones. That scares the dickens out of me.

My gut is twisted right now. I look at my boy and he is to young, soon to be 9, but too young. I got the news late afternoon Friday. I won’t cry til there’s a reason to cry but my gut is twisted.

I knew something was up with all the delays for his thr. My inner radar was on alert. I wish the THR happened in Sept. maybe if I had been more adamant. He was not obese or even fat enough to delay other than getting him at optimal wt. The DM concern hadn’t come up at that time and his right leg and hip would already be well past healed by now and able to support his left leg after surgery

I hate this. I’ve done a lot of reading.

a pic of him just yesterday chilling out after goofing around in the back yard with me and dh. Just a happy guy and I hate the thought of putting him through stuff that I can’t explain to him.

Thank you for reading and any personal insights with Mast Cell Tumors.

54CCC767-E314-4A82-88A0-FC7BD3B81C5C.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
6,279 Posts
I'm so sorry you and your boy have to go through this.Sending kind thoughts your way...

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I am so sorry for the test results, and hoping this will be just a blip and that they get it all. And after he is all better he has a successful hip surgery. He is one handsome and happy looking boy!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gatorbytes and Dogma 13 thanks for the well wishes. It’s ok right now keeping my spirits up because my boy has no idea what he has and the implications so he’s in the happy moments, and I get caught up in that. I have to reassess his supplements to support what he is in for so if anyone has advice I’m all ears. Also there are some good old threads that came up with a search if anyone else needs it.

·
Registered
31,352 Posts
I have an entire thread on this for Banshee on another forum. It has info on how to keep inflammation down, sugars in the diet and antacids that work as antihistamines. I'll PM you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
He is so cute and handsome❤ I am so sorry you and your furbaby are going through this (hugs to you both) I am hoping he will all better after hip surgery too.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
So sorry to hear about your boy's problems. He looks like such a happy fella! I hope things turn out for the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts