German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had Rugers ears taped for only 3 days. I wanted to make sure that he was not getting an infection of that moisture was trapped in between the foam and his ear, so Husband took it off today. They are both up!! They have been up for hours. They are a little wonky but they are consistently up. So my question is this: Is this a good sign that the taping may work to keep them up and since they are up on their own and staying up, does it fit the "if they go up and come down, they will definitely go up again" philosophy or is that only for ears that go up unassisted?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would leave the tape off since the ears are up. If they go down, then I would tape again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They came down about 30 min ago. However, the one ear that had the crease is not creased now. Now it arcs over like the other one. I have read that until the ears are solidly up, when the dog is tired they can drop down. We will see what they look like in the morning and will determine from there. At least I am hopeful that we might be able to get them up for good.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When we got up this morning, one ear was up and one was down. However, they both fell and were down most of the time. That being said, when he saw the cat, they both shot up! When we get his attention, they go up. They did not go straight up at all before we taped. I think we will tape again and leave it for a week this time and then recheck. I am hopeful that its helping.:D

·
Registered
482 Posts
I dont have experience with this b/c mine are up, but I thought giving them things like bully sticks to chew on builds the muscles to get them to stand up?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard that too. We give him bully sticks and have since we got him. He doesn't have much drive to chew (THANK YOU JESUS) so I have to keep encouraging him. He likes them. We are switching to raw, so chewing the chicken leg quarters is going to help as well. When I got home from work tonight, they were both down, but the one that never creased goes up and down. The one with the crease goes up only when he is excited and focused on something....typically the cat :) Still gonna retape but at least they aren't down all the time like before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts