German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just update on lola. She was doing really good with her training, walking everything. Now we need a little advice because it's like shes going backwards after all the training and well behaving. We watch alot of youtube training professionals etc and worked a treat. Even her walking. Now we have the problem where she has went backwards to the point she pulls now till u fall over or the lead comes out your hand barks at everyone literally everyone, she is now 10 months and is showing this behaviour out of no where we dont understand where it's gone from amazing progress,good behaviour to going opposite now. We love her very dearly and we literally made a massive improvement. Until pass couple of days shes been diffrent with her behaviour which is very odd!!! She was good listening in and out house really trained and now feels like we are back to square 1 and it's gone out the window it's noteverything dont get me wrong she listens to quite a bit and she understands also. It's just a few blips and blops here and there with her but we ain't sure why its went from amazing behaviour to a little bit backwards? Any help and advice that would be great.
Head Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar

·
Super Moderator
8,487 Posts
Because she's an adolescent now, not a puppy. Reward what you want, correct what you don't want. Don't do that Lola,do this instead.Making sure she gets plenty of physical exercise will help immensely. Walking at a human pace on a leash is not nearly enough to burn off any energy whatsoever.

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
3,860 Posts
Ditch the harness - they are designed for pulling. Go back to square one with leash training - she starts pulling, you change directions or just stop, and tell her to sit.

Lots of videos out there on loose leash walking - it is EXTREMELY dangerous to have a dog pull you over or pull the leash out of your hand. YOU NEED TO FIX THIS< NOW!! Before she gets hurt or YOU get hurt!

Ask Dave Winners to recommend a good video on this! He can probably find one faster than I can (and a better one, too!)

And what was said above - congrats, you've hit adolescence! :rolleyes:

Edit: if that's a martingale collar she's wearing, it is sitting FAR too low on her neck to be effective in stopping her from pulling. It needs to be as high up as possible.

·
Registered
719 Posts
OP I really don't mean to sound harsh but you need to up your game with your girl if she is pulling you over or pulling the lead out of your hand this is so dangerous for you, her, other people and other dog owners I would be absolutely terrified if I were walking my dog's and a saw you lose control of yours and she came running over...
you could also potentially be reported under the dangerous dogs act for having an out of control dog even very friendly dog's get reported and that would be awful,
I think we can all see how much you love and care for lola... what are you doing in terms of training in regards to the pulling? Have you got into training classes yet?

I know it won't fix the problem only training will but a head halti could be a great tool to help to you while you train I have been using one on my reactive boy for about 8 years he doesn't really need it anymore but it gives me great confidence with him I also use one with my girl Raven she was a horrible pulling and so stubborn about it (we use the if you pull we stop method return my side and we can continue) she doesn't really need it anymore but she wears it just incase I feel I need it you could also start rewarding when she checks in with you this helped with Raven's pulling also, once they get it it's great Raven will even occasionally self correct.
I really do wish you the best with lola don't give up you'll get there I'm rooting for you 😊

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
I disagree with almost everything said. You were told, multiple times to relax. You brought her home and right out of the gate you threw everything at her. You gave her no time to adjust or get to know you and you sent horribly mixed messages. No structure, but lots of commands. No rules but high expectations.
Now she is adjusting and you are seeing the real dog, with no structure in place.
I have brought dogs of all ages and all breeds home and we all start the same way, we spend the first several weeks playing, relaxing, bonding and learning house rules. By the time we progress to real training we have a relationship and know what to expect from each other.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
My first reaction to @Sabis mom post above was, with whom are you disagreeing?

Then I looked, the OP acquired this pup 27 days ago. 14 days ago they created a thread about constant pulling on leash and barking at people and dogs on leash. Now, 14 days later they believe they trained their dog, and are now mysteriously backsliding!

Pretty clear that most of the previous advice was disregarded. And the great success cited couldn't have occured for more than a few days.

So...my advice now, rehome the dog and get a goldfish, or hire a trainer to explain stuff to you in person! I consider myself a pretty good dog trainer, and would never suggest to anyone that a puppy of any age can be "trained" in just a few days!

It's a marathon not a race! OP, good luck!

·
Registered
8,933 Posts

Then I looked, the OP acquired this pup 27 days ago. 14 days ago they created a thread about constant pulling on leash and barking at people and dogs on leash. Now, 14 days later they believe they trained their dog, and are now mysteriously backsliding!

Pretty clear that most of the previous advice was disregarded. And the great success cited couldn't have occured for more than a few days.

So...my advice now, rehome the dog and get a goldfish, or hire a trainer to explain stuff to you in person! I consider myself a pretty good dog trainer, and would never suggest to anyone that a puppy of any age can be "trained" in just a few days!

I was disagreeing with all the teenage comments. This dog was an adolescent when they got her. And they gave her not 5 minutes to settle in before they jumped on obedience and complained that she wouldn't listen. A month to a dog is still a vacation, she has no reason to listen, these people are basically visitors to her.
She may like them just fine, Shadow falls in love with the pizza guy, doesn't mean she feels any compulsion to obey him.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP I really don't mean to sound harsh but you need to up your game with your girl if she is pulling you over or pulling the lead out of your hand this is so dangerous for you, her, other people and other dog owners I would be absolutely terrified if I were walking my dog's and a saw you lose control of yours and she came running over...
you could also potentially be reported under the dangerous dogs act for having an out of control dog even very friendly dog's get reported and that would be awful,
I think we can all see how much you love and care for lola... what are you doing in terms of training in regards to the pulling? Have you got into training classes yet?

I know it won't fix the problem only training will but a head halti could be a great tool to help to you while you train I have been using one on my reactive boy for about 8 years he doesn't really need it anymore but it gives me great confidence with him I also use one with my girl Raven she was a horrible pulling and so stubborn about it (we use the if you pull we stop method return my side and we can continue) she doesn't really need it anymore but she wears it just incase I feel I need it you could also start rewarding when she checks in with you this helped with Raven's pulling also, once they get it it's great Raven will even occasionally self correct.
I really do wish you the best with lola don't give up you'll get there I'm rooting for you 😊
Thank u and we are getting one for her. Also at the moment we are training her to the point if we take her out and she dont listen then we go back to the beginning of bringing her back in house make her sit then take her out again until she learns.

·
Registered
76 Posts

We never said dog was fully trained theres a difference as in progress and not fully so dont start thinking your all it. No we will not be rehoming her she is are dog I can see how u are with animals your the type that will give up and rehome a dog because u cant cope diffrent is with us mate is the fact we never give up. We dont think she is fully trained just because shes making progress (PERSONAL ATTACK REMOVED) at end of day I was only asking for advice everyone isnt perfect with dogs or anything so dont start putting us down when u ain't perfect yourself. This sight is called being polite and giving polite answers not snotty and stuck up comments. At end of the day we never once thought that a little bit of training was it as that's not how it works for a puppy u have to train and train and train over and over again!!!! Even alot people with sense knows that.... at end of day we just wanted to know why she was showing that behaviour after a little progress we made. Not hard to answer politely is it? At end of the day we are doing are best just like everyone else on here and out there in the world so dont think your the best mate!!!!

NO PERSONAL ATTACKS OR NAME CALLING.

DAVID
ADMIN

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was disagreeing with all the teenage comments. This dog was an adolescent when they got her. And they gave her not 5 minutes to settle in before they jumped on obedience and complained that she wouldn't listen. A month to a dog is still a vacation, she has no reason to listen, these people are basically visitors to her.
She may like them just fine, Shadow falls in love with the pizza guy, doesn't mean she feels any compulsion to obey him.
For you information we never jumped into it we allowed her to settle in so before all of you start jumping into everything unless u was in the house then keep your options to yourself !!! Instead thinking your all it no bodys perfect...

·
Super Moderator
5,663 Posts
hmm, at this point it is confusing how things are going. It is the trouble with text. This is why we can only give general advice but what you really need is good face to face instruction with someone who can see how you move, time your directions and corrections. A small tweak can make a big difference and that takes live instruction.

And I also find it better communicating with dogs using a collar and not a harness.

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,645 Posts
I suggest you post some video, like 5-10 minutes long, of you working with the dog. We can help you much more if we understand what's going on.

·
Registered
16,290 Posts
"For you information we never jumped into it we allowed her to settle in so before all of you start jumping into everything unless u was in the house then keep your options to yourself !!! Instead thinking your all it no bodys perfect... "

Excuse me but "you asked for it" - you posted on a BB asking for comment. I am offended that you would essentially tell a board member to butt out. "You asked for it."

·
Super Moderator
8,487 Posts
For you information we never jumped into it we allowed her to settle in so before all of you start jumping into everything unless u was in the house then keep your options to yourself !!! Instead thinking your all it no bodys perfect...
This is a public forum .You are going to see some posts you don't agree with,but you can't decide who responds. Ignore them and read the ones you find helpful.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts