German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm a new member but have been following these forums religiously since I got my GSD/Belgian Malinois mix back before Christmas. His name is Jager and he's really been pretty easy to handle so far...he's much easier than my labs were actually. He's 11 weeks old now, fully house broken, knows basic commands in English and some German and LOVES to play fetch with anything you'll through for him. Now the issue......during the week we leave Jager in the kitchen since we are gone for about 10 hours a day. He's been fine, has his kennel, a few toys and doesn't mess with any chairs or cabinets or anything. He actually seems to like it in there since my cat, Kat, goes in there to play with him. He's trained himself to go to the bathroom on newspapers that we put down for him everyday. He's been great with this until 2 days ago. He still uses the papers but he's discovered that newspaper is really fun to tear up....even if he's already 'used' it.:eek:
We've tried different things other than newspaper, even tried spraying the paper with bitter apple but, everyday when I get home there is shredded stuff all over the kitchen. The fact that he's tearing stuff up is bad enough but when you add the fact that it's covered in bathroom stuff.....it's just disgusting.
My husband and I are complete lost on what to do now and I'm really hoping yall might have some advise on what to do about this shredding ordeal. He doesn't eat poop or anything so I really don't know how he's able to stand ripping up that paper. I've been searching for anything I can find to help for hours now, I'm tired, frustrated and I'm sure I'm rambling but I just really can't deal with this and I don't know what else I to do.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. :help:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
:welcome:

He's a puppy and its FUN!!! He is bored and is able to entertain himself. Another reason why crates are awesome, but yeah 10hrs is too long to hold it.

Can someone come home during lunch and let him out to potty? or could you find someone to do it? Doggie daycare?

Have you tried the pee pads? He might not rip that up. I also know of people using cedar chips and filling a wading pool to use like a dog litter box.

**ETA**
I would not let the cat be alone with the pup unsupervised

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sounds like he's having puppy fun.:D
I think I would go with the crate while you're gone, 10 hours is a long time, but he can learn to do it, mine did because they had too, I just made sure all other time was spent out of the crate and with me.

I also agree with what was mentioned above about the cat they may play well now but as the pup gets bigger their play needs to be supervised to keep the pup from accidently hurting the cat

·
5,627 Posts
What happens when you're reading a newspaper and set it down next to your chair?
:rofl:

OP, you might consider getting a doggie litter box. Is it possible to hire a dog walker to come over and let the pup out instead of teaching him to go inside?

Did you know that paper training your puppy can make it more difficult to housebreak them later? You aren't just teaching them that it is okay to go on paper but that it is okay to go in the house. Also, make sure you are cleaning the spot where the paper is with a really good enzyme cleaner.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
10 hours unsupervised for an 11 week old pup is not healthy. You may see other behaviors begin, wet newspapers will be nothing in comparison.
I agree, hire a dog walker if possible or find other options than leaving such a young pup alone for that length of time. Welcome to the board, by the way!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Get rid of the papers- dogs should not be allowed to pee in the house paper or not...pretty soon one pee is going to soak your kitchen as it is. Get a crate, crate him when your gone, and he will learn potty breaks occur outside. The longer he is allowed to pee on paper the harder it is going to be to break him of the habit, and the harder it will be to teach him not to tear up inappropriate things. Dogs don't know the difference between newspaper, carpet, or other items on the floor- he will begin to pee in places your not going to be happy about and as teething sets in he's going to begin to chew on chairs, table legs, and other items in the room.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replys.:)
I'm trying to see if it would be possible to get one of my parents to come over on their lunch breaks to let him out that way we can keep him in his crate instead of loose. If they dont work out then I think the 'litter box' idea will be the next option. Do you think he'll try to eat the stuff in the box though?? I know he likes to try and eat trees soooo.....

We also picked up some Kong treat holders too for him instead of just the food one so maybe those will help him be entertained. We put down puppy pads too to see what he would do with those.

Other then that I'm stuck until he gets old enough to hold it in his crate. We live way to far out in the country for me to be able to afford to have a walker come out and both my husband and I work over an hour away. There is a pet sitting place in the town near us but they dont take dogs younger than 6 months.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Thanks for all the replys.:)
I'm trying to see if it would be possible to get one of my parents to come over on their lunch breaks to let him out that way we can keep him in his crate instead of loose. If they dont work out then I think the 'litter box' idea will be the next option. Do you think he'll try to eat the stuff in the box though?? I know he likes to try and eat trees soooo.....

We also picked up some Kong treat holders too for him instead of just the food one so maybe those will help him be entertained. We put down puppy pads too to see what he would do with those.

Other then that I'm stuck until he gets old enough to hold it in his crate. We live way to far out in the country for me to be able to afford to have a walker come out and both my husband and I work over an hour away. There is a pet sitting place in the town near us but they dont take dogs younger than 6 months.

First of all-Welcome!

As long as you get doggy litter stuff it is safe in case he eats some of it. I have rabbits that are trained to boxes and they use Carefresh pet bedding and it states it is safe as long as they don't consume tons of it.
I get it at Tractor Supply.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My first GSD was paper trained as a pup. She would shred the newspaper, pee pads (I called them pee and shred pads), etc. I came home every day at lunch to take her out and couldn't understand why she just wouldn't hold it... Spent every lunch hour for almost 2 months cleaning the floors, her paws, etc. Finally said screw it and lifted up the papers, she held it all day. Basically the paper is telling your dog you WANT them to go on it and obviously they don't like it in their kennel / area, so they will eat it, shred it so they don't have to see it, smell it, etc.
It would be a VERY good idea to have someone come over during lunch hour to let your dog out to potty. Shouldn't you also be feeding the dog 3 times a day? 10 hours alone seems like a long time.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Lot of good advice above, welcome to GSD Forum.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all-Welcome!

As long as you get doggy litter stuff it is safe in case he eats some of it. I have rabbits that are trained to boxes and they use Carefresh pet bedding and it states it is safe as long as they don't consume tons of it.
I get it at Tractor Supply.

Thank you, I'll have to check that out.

He does get 3 meals a day actually....I feed him in the morning and at night and then his lunch is in his kong. From the times that my husband or I have come home early we've discovered that he eats from that somewhere between 11 and 1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts