German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought our new boy Gsd from a breeder. He is 6 1/2 weeks old and weighs only 4.5 lbs. He has been seen by the vet and she seems concerned and we are looking into what may be causing him to be so small. He is supposed to be a full blood gsd of German bloodline parents registered with the AKC. We would just like to get some opionions, if anyone has seen a gsd this small before, and with this coloring and features. Thank You! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My puppy was 8 weeks and 7 pounds. The vet said he was to skinny and to feed him 4 to 5 times a day. He's ok now. 20 weeks and his last weigh in was 46 pounds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that's when the breeder was selling them at the 6 week mark and we thought this was too young as well so we asked our vet and she said the 6 week mark was fine that's when there starting too eat puppy food.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Well they usually wean at around that age but it is generally recommended for them to stay with their littermates until they're 8 weeks old for social development skills. It is actually illegal in some states to sell them that young. You may have a harder time teaching your pup bite inhibition but there are plenty of threads here about it in the puppy section.

If he checked out at the vets I wouldn't worry too much about the weight. What type of food is he on now?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well they usually wean at around that age but it is generally recommended for them to stay with their littermates until they're 8 weeks old for social development skills. It is actually illegal in some states to sell them that young. You may have a harder time teaching your pup bite inhibition but there are plenty of threads here about it in the puppy section.

If he checked out at the vets I wouldn't worry too much about the weight. What type of food is he on now?

At this time he is eating Purina puppy chow, this was the vets recommendation. He has a healthy appetite and eats well. We are going to run blood work on him at his 8 week check up to make sure there are no problems with any of his organs causing him to be so small. When we say small we don't just mean his weight though. He is small in stature, compared to his brothers and sisters. He also has small paws, and small facial features. It is hard to tell in the pics how small he really is. The vet did mention gsd dwarfism as a possibility. We would not have chosen to get him away from his liter so early but the breeder was trying to get rid of them at this age and if we did not take him someone less able and willing to help him might have. :/

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
There is a current thread on here with a confirmed dwarf and she is clearly a dwarf. It sounds like your guy is just a little behind.

Purina puppy chow is terrible food. I would get him on something better. Has he been checked for parasites?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a current thread on here with a confirmed dwarf and she is clearly a dwarf. It sounds like your guy is just a little behind.

Purina puppy chow is terrible food. I would get him on something better. Has he been checked for parasites?
Yes he was checked for parasites and was clear and also no worms and what food would you recommend?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Agreed about Purina, also most vets don't know a whole lot about nutrition so it's not the source I would go to for that information.

Keep in mind some of the higher quality foods will cost more BUT you will be feeding less of it whereas foods like Purina are all junk and filler and you need to feed a lot more of it.

I feed my dogs Fromm but it can be difficult to find in some places. You can try blue buffalo or wellness, those are at the lower end of the high end food and might be a better idea then switching him to a really rich food. But Acana, California naturals, Orijen, solid gold are all also really good foods. I'm sure others can chime in on this as I tend to stick with mostly Fromm and Honest kitchen.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Here's a web site to help you to compare foods.
Purina Puppy Chow | Review and Rating
You can see why the advice so far is to use something better than Purina, but not the reason. It's mostly corn.

We use grain and beef free Innova dry with a little of their canned mixed in.
But there are some other very good and even better dog foods to choose from.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed about Purina, also most vets don't know a whole lot about nutrition so it's not the source I would go to for that information.

Keep in mind some of the higher quality foods will cost more BUT you will be feeding less of it whereas foods like Purina are all junk and filler and you need to feed a lot more of it.

I feed my dogs Fromm but it can be difficult to find in some places. You can try blue buffalo or wellness, those are at the lower end of the high end food and might be a better idea then switching him to a really rich food. But Acana, California naturals, Orijen, solid gold are all also really good foods. I'm sure others can chime in on this as I tend to stick with mostly Fromm and Honest kitchen.
Thank you for your advice I will be going to petsmart first thing tomorrow and change over too blue buffalo for the time being and maybe order fromm or one of the others last thing I want is my dog eating junk for food!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a web site to help you to compare foods.
Purina Puppy Chow | Review and Rating
You can see why the advice so far is to use something better than Purina, but not the reason. It's mostly corn.

We use grain and beef free Innova dry with a little of their canned mixed in.
But there are some other very good and even better dog foods to choose from.
Thanks for the review post that's kinda shocking that purina is really that bad:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Welcome.
Be careful with the Blue Buffalo. It does give some dogs diarrhea.
Be sure to switch foods slowly.
I would also find a new vet.
Your dog is really not that small for his age.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Wow 6 weeks, that's really young. In some states it's actually illegal to separate puppies from their mother before 8 weeks old.
Be sure to do a lot of work on socialization and especially with other dogs when she's old enough, as a puppy learns a lot of social skills in the litter between 6-8 weeks (and bite inhibition) and if separated too early they miss out on that.

Here is some info that explains the puppy stages of development with info on socialization:
Developmental Stages

·
Banned
367 Posts
i got my puppy at 6 weeks. when i took him for his first vet visit he weighed 4 pounds. now hes 10 months 85 pounds and not at all small. i feed him raw for the first 7 months and now hes on orijen

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i got my puppy at 6 weeks. when i took him for his first vet visit he weighed 4 pounds. now hes 10 months 85 pounds and not at all small. i feed him raw for the first 7 months and now hes on orijen
Well that's good to know. I'm changing him over too Taste of the Wild since finding out how poor purina puppy chow was

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow 6 weeks, that's really young. In some states it's actually illegal to separate puppies from their mother before 8 weeks old.
Be sure to do a lot of work on socialization and especially with other dogs when she's old enough, as a puppy learns a lot of social skills in the litter between 6-8 weeks (and bite inhibition) and if separated too early they miss out on that.

Here is some info that explains the puppy stages of development with info on socialization:
Developmental Stages
Welcome.
Be careful with the Blue Buffalo. It does give some dogs diarrhea.
Be sure to switch foods slowly.
I would also find a new vet.
Your dog is really not that small for his age.
Thank you Chicago and Sunflowers for the input

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Well that's when the breeder was selling them at the 6 week mark and we thought this was too young as well so we asked our vet and she said the 6 week mark was fine that's when there starting too eat puppy food.
Cute puppy but just a baby. Feed him several times a day. I know some states have passed laws saying you can't sell a puppy before 8 weeks, but 30 years ago no one knew any better and most puppies went home at 6 weeks and did just fine. I'd never even heard of the 8 week thing until I got on this forum last year. :eek:

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Well that's good to know. I'm changing him over too Taste of the Wild since finding out how poor purina puppy chow was
Taste of the Wild is fine but be sure to give him a large breed puppy variety as regular TOTW is too high in calcium

1 - 20 of 21 Posts