German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jax is my first GSD (I've had Boxers all my life) and I'm getting a bit concerned that he's too calm.
I've even been told by others that he's the most relaxed puppy they've ever seen.
He's been to the vet, heart/lungs/temp/etc seem fine, no diarrhea or vomiting... vet suspected he MAY have worms so he's had two doses of Strongid T since then... still calm... never has accidents in the house or crate but will go instantly when I set him down outside.
He just seems unusually well behaved, anyone have any concerns to help fuel my paranoia?
My parents had a similar Boxer puppy that only lived a few months due to a heart condition... this couldn't be that case, could it?
He's 10 weeks and 20lbs.

·
Registered
459 Posts
From my experience only, Willow (who is now 7 months) has always been a pretty calm puppy. I have a coworker who got a GSD about 2 months after me and the first thing she asked me was if my pup was a terror like hers is but not my little Will. I have had people over for video game parties, dinner parties, and I took her to a Super Bowl party and the comment I always got was how well-behaved and calm she was for a puppy. I just count my blessings that she has yet to destroy anything. If the worst she is doing is stealing dish towels off the counter, I can live with it!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Josie is pretty calm too at 10 months old. She's more focus on me now than she used to be, maybe it's because i run her all day so she doesn't have the chance to be an obnoxious adolescence. From day one she was taught her boundaries, i don't like rude puppies :). The most i get out of her is counter surfing lol.

She was pretty hyper at 13 weeks to 6 months old then she started to calm down a bit.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Boy I wish I had your problem!!LOL....mine was off the wall needing constant direction and stimulation for his very "inquisitive" little mind. I would say that unless you see things like lethargy, lack of interest in food, tiring very easily etc. I wouldn't worry about it. Since you have had a good vet check try to enjoy your time with the little one and unless you see some other sign of a problem, try not to worry.....easier said than done!

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
it may be just his personality...were the parents, or pedigree high drive dogs, or lower keyed?

puppies are active some more than others........if you think its more from being lathargic it very well could be worms, or other............my last male at 11 weeks was pretty low keyed, lathargic and he was full of round worms........

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
If the vet checks him out ok..........and when you do take him out for a hike/run/walk/frisbee/ball he runs around like normal................it sounds like you got a great calm GSD puppy (I never had one!!).

Another thing to check is by calling up and talking to your breeder. Are the littermates the same? This common in their lines?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts