German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I was talking with someone earlier about how outdoors Lara doesn't seem too interested in toys or food because exploring is the ultimate reward (5 months old etc, working on building a tug drive with some pointers from a friend), but there are two things so goes absolutely crazy for: a milk jug on a string and a mop that we bought for her to attack.

So, I will be going out on our adventure today with a milkjug in my backpack and she will be rewarded with her favorite game, no matter how weird it looks :D

Do your dogs have any weird or unusual things you use for high value rewards?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
For some reason Lakota loves baling twine from my hay bales. I certainly don't allow her to have it but I do enjoy a little tease to get a perfect heel from her. She really loves the orange ones for some reason.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Popcorn is super high value for both dogs and even my cats!

·
Premium Member
11,252 Posts
the outer mold/rind from Brie or St Andre cheese.....taught the send out and dumbbells to Kyra with this as reward years ago....the most high value reward I have come accross for my dogs....they drool like St Barnards when I have this kind of cheese!

Lee

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
the outer mold/rind from Brie or St Andre cheese.....taught the send out and dumbbells to Kyra with this as reward years ago....the most high value reward I have come accross for my dogs....they drool like St Barnards when I have this kind of cheese!

Lee
I may have to try this!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Crunching an empty bottled water container....

·
Registered
283 Posts
For obedience, we use frozen Bil Jac, hot dogs, or if you wanna have them go berserk, buy one of those greasy pre cooked rotisserie chickens at the grocery store.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
When Finn was just a pup and I was trying to figure out a good reward that I could use without sending him into overdrive with a ball, I slathered an old rag with bacon grease and kept it in the freezer. I'd take it outside and by the time we were done, it was nice and smelly. You would've thought his eyes were going to pop out of his skull with excitement. It wasn't enough to make him sick from licking up the excess, but it was tasty enough to use as a Super Jackpot.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Karlo's crack after a track is a fox tail on a flirtpole...say that 10x's fast!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Leo loves bananas. He will trade anything, including his bone for one anytime. It has made training a lot easier :D

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Don't necessarily use these as training tools but empty yogurt cups, empty peanut butter jars, water bottles, other empty food containers that are doggie friendly food wise..

This is a fun thread! I love the one about a trash can lid and yours about the milk jug on a string! So fun!!!

·
Premium Member
11,252 Posts
whole paycheck has parmesan reggiano rind for around 6 bux a lb, cheap compared to most treats.
Do you mean Whole Foods??

I love Brie and St Andre but won't eat the rind...so it is a win win for me and the dogs to use it for rewards...

Lee

·
Registered
194 Posts
my puppy has an annoying habit of flipping her water bowl if i put more than an inch of water in it. When i go to clean up she immediately attacks the towel and gets in the way. I found that she LOVES the boxes from 12 packs of beer so I use that to distract her. I have to keep them out of sight or she will just sit and whine for hours. Once she gets a hold of it the noises she makes are hysterical. With the $100s ive spent on toys and premium treats this is by far her favorite.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts