German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if my mother is over-reacting or what, but any time I'm away she gives me these horror stories about my dog being a pain, not listening to what she says, and nipping her whenever he sees fit. I'm not sure if this is play biting or aggressive biting, and this thread probably should be moved to behavior issues or whatever, but he will NOT respect my mother. She spends time with him almost as much as I do, and claims she's doing all the things I do when training/playing/taking care of him, but I can't tell if she's lying or not because he is STILL behaving terribly around her. Her personality is sort of weak, maybe he can sense that and doesn't see her as "an alpha"? I don't know. I don't know what to do anymore, it's crazy.

I'm probably barking a mile a minute, but suggestions?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of his tricks/behaviors (sit, down, stay, come, leave it, paw, spin, roll, etc) which he does beautifully... usually, but when it comes to him trying to grab things or grab her or jump on her or any of that, he won't have it. I know it's typical puppy behavior and he'll probably grow out of it with the right training, but apparently my mother can't deal with it. How you're supposed to stand up, turn around and ignore him when he jumps? My mother is 350 pounds and can't get up that fast. Either she's making a huge fuss at her behavior or we've got a really mild dominance issue with him. Assumably.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My mom had a similar problem with Bandit. Bandit is a very well behaved dog, especially for his age! When I am home he listens very well, doesn't get into the trash, doesn't get on the counters, has very good manners, doesn't cry in his crate etc. But a few weeks ago I took a week long trip to Maine with my family. My mom babysitted Bandit for me. My mom lives with me so he wasn't taken out of his home. Yet she couldn't get him to behave. He would cry in his kennel all night and she couldn't get him to stop. He would get on the counters or table and steal food, he would potty in the house, and so on. I know she was telling me the truth because she would send me picture messages of him doing it. I couldn't believe my eyes!! I was so surprised to see him acting that way.... I thought for sure all the training I had taken so much time to teach him manners would be down the drain when i got back home. But as soon as I got home he was same old Bandit. It's like his manners magically came back and he was a perfect puppy again. Bandit doesn't seem to listen to anyone but me..... for whatever reason.

However in your case your puppy is nipping your mom. My thoughts is either he is trying to prove he is Alfa with her or trying to herd her. I don't know all too much about herding but he may be trying to show her he is dominant... not her. I wish you the best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts