German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my puppies is now 4.5 month old ... when he play with me , he bite like all other puppies does and i tell him to stop and do the '' ouch '' trick .. and it always ends by working .

but with the GF its totaly another stories .. more shes saying no/ouch , more the puppies think she playing and run to her witht he open mouth . he actualy did the same with her hand than what hes doing with a rope ! ...

i actualy told her few week ago that id she would stop screaming at the dog everytime hes bittng her , than maybe he loud voice would have more impact on the dog when it need to be . shes dsnt applied it much ( maybe 1-2 day ) but i have to admit i would scream just as much as she do in this situation . if maybe more since i dont have '' that much '' patience .

so yea , if u guys have any tips before we freaking sell that puppies , let me know .:help:

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Do not have her play with the puppy at all while you work this out with toys.

EXERCISE EXERCISE EXERCISE.

Use the crate for brief 'time outs' (not punishment) if needed.

EXERCISE EXERCISE EXERCISE.

Puppy classes are also ideal.

Oh, did I mention exercise? :)

This is what I HAVE to do with my pups or they drive me crazy too!

Have you seen this? http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/85888-teaching-bite-inhibition.html

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Dexter, I assume you are blowing off steam and really wouldn't sell her because she's biting, right? :) This is normal puppy behavior. Mac was a nipper too especially when he was teething. In general we would never "scream" at him. Of course, we definately made mistakes and some times did yell. So, I'm not judging or criticizing you. I've been there. You'll find plenty of threads and advice like from Maggie on how to stop the behavior. Trust me...it will stop. Hang in there.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
That's normal, mine would bite me a lot more than they would bite my husband because he wouldn't put up with it. Your GF has to be much more forceful, so the puppy knows it's not a game. If it helps any, this is absolutely the worst biting period they go through, your is probably teething or about to, so get the puppy worn out with lots of exercise, get some things to chew on, when it bites your GF she can give it something else to bite and make sure it knows biting is not good

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Have plenty of toys and everytime your puppy bites you put the toy in its mouth. My puppy did that and I keep toys everywhere around the house for her and everytime she would bite on my hands a toy went in her mouth. You might have to find the right toys that he likes but he will eventually stop if you and your girlfriend are consistent. Just remember everytime he bites on hands put a toy in his mouth one firm NO and then put the toy in his mouth and take your hands away when puppy chews on toy say good boy. This worked for my puppy and now she actually will let me pet her when she is not in play mode and she plays with her toys and bites on those and not me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I found that if Bo was well exercised, and he still got like that, sometimes he needed to go to bed, or even just go outside. He needs to be in bed by 10:00!

·
Registered
105 Posts
We have been having a super hard time with our new puppy. We've had her 2 weeks and she's about 11/12 weeks old (she was a rescue so not sure of her age) but my goodness does she bite and chew. Our ONLY issues with her are that she chews and bites playfully with the kids and that she will actually come inside to poop. She refuses to poop outside. She did great the first few days but now she just won't? It's annoying for sure!

Anyways, I did this out of necessity since I have kids ages 7, 5, 4, 2, and 1. I can't let her sit there and chew on them ALL DAY LONG. The big 3 can tell her "no" and give her a chew toy but the little 2 just get trampled over and I have to rescue them but even then it's difficult when I'm doing something that I can't leave immediately. So anyways... here is our day.

Wake up - Take her out to potty, feed her breakfast while the kids eat breakfast since they will be in their chairs so she can't nip at the littles even if she wants to.

I let her run around and play while the baby sits in his high chair and plays for a while (he's a slow eater)

I take her back out to potty. I bring her in and into the crate she goes (with a few toys)

She stays in there for about an hour or so - and then it's nap time for the baby. The baby naps for about 4 hours. So I let her out to play during that time.

The kids eat lunch when the baby wakes up. I feed the dog a little bit from a kong.

We all go outside and run her to death. lol. Come inside and she's ready for her crate. lol. Walks in herself. I close the door and she sleeps for a while. The kids play without being eaten.

She wakes up and I take her out. I have the 7 year old take the baby into a bedroom to play while I make dinner. We eat. We feed the dog. The kids get baths and go to bed. The dog stays out the rest of the night until my husband and I go to bed. She goes into the crate.

So a lot of play time. Not just throwing her some toys and letting her play but running around the yard, playing our version of fetch in the house (she doesn't bring it back lol), playing with a tug toy with her, etc... Also saying "NO" when she does bite. She is getting so much better about the biting. She still does it ALL THE TIME, but she is getting better about stopping and getting a toy when we correct her. Before she would just keep on biting no matter what you said, you'd have to actually squeeze the side of her mouth to get her to let go. lol. Although we were moving furniture Sunday (all day - preparing for the new baby) and she didn't get as much play time as she normally does - she chewed straight through the baby swings power cord (thank God it wasn't plugged in) so we are buying covers for all the cords this week. We've never had to do that with any other pet. lol

Now if we could get this pooping in the hall thing under control......

Oh and we are starting puppy classes as soon as we get back from Disney in about 3 weeks so I'm praying that helps too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts