German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my dog eating and and everything he can get in his mouth....including poop. any suggestions on how to stop that nasty habit? anything is helpful.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Originally Posted By: ZeusGSDUnfortunately supervision and picking up poop immediately is the only way to stop this. Especially if he is young, everything goes in the mouth. Puppies are worse than toddlers with this.
I agree w/Zeus, but I would add - teach him the "leave it" command. It is taking me quite a while with my dog, Kodee. I work with him occassionally during training sessions on this, but I also am very consistent in using it whenever applicable in everyday life - if we are on a walk, and he sniffs something, before even picks it up, I say "leave it", and give a quick pop on his leash (he just wears a flat leather collar). Same thing at home, only without the leash, normally. He starts getting interested in a paper towel on the floor - "leave it!". Even though i've done very little "formal" training on this command, he is finally starting to consistently listen to me the majority of the time.

Also - I do pick up his poops in our yard every 2-3 days - more for ourselves than hiim. He's not a poop-eater (except once, but that's another story.
). If we are on walks at the park, other people don't always pick up after their dogs, of course. That's a great time to work on "leave it" command.

Good luck and be patient. Kodee is over 9 mos old, and like I said, he's just now starting to be reliable on this most (not all) of the time, and I've been consistent with him since about 4 mos old...

One last thing - if you give the "leave it" command and he picks up something anyway, take it away from him immediately. Even if it's not something harmful, it still reinforces the command. If he learns that he won't get to keep the item even if he doesn't obey the command, it helps to not reinforce disobedience. I hope I'm saying that right. Kodee listens pretty well, and I think it's b/c he knows I'm gonna take it away anyway, so he may as well leave it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ty anything at this point is helpful... although i pick up poop a million times a day he seems to always find it. He is left alone in the yard sometimes and that makes the "leave it" harder than I would like. He is just 9 months old so I am hoping he will get over it.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Along with the "leave it", my dog knows "drop it". She will spit things out on command (once in a while she just swallows really really fast and looks at me all innocent).

Be sure to praise and reward when the do indeed "leave it" or "drop it".

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've been lucky with my GSD pup (6 mo) so far. He wants nothing to do with his stool. In fact, when I go out to clean the yard up, I ask him "where's the poop?" and he leads me to each one so I can pick it up.

One comment: unless you have no choice, a puppy should never be in the yard unsupervised. Mine is just turning six months and has never been outside without a chaperone. That will change as we feel he matures and can be trusted, but for now it's always with us. That really helps prevent him from getting into things (though he tries anyway).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts