German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a random issue we've experienced for the past ~3 years since having Ryka, and now Mako. Whenever I have left for the holidays to visit my family, Ryka rarely if ever behaved or settled in my absence. When I'm home she's happy to sleep throughout the day, behaves well, and doesn't "act out", if you will. And the same goes for Mako - because he's still a puppy, we have a very large area penned off using an x-pen for while we use our computers to keep him and Ryka separated. He broke his toe a month ago, so he's been on crate and pen rest. When I'm home, once again, he'll simply settle in the x-pen and sleep or entertain himself with his chews. When I'm gone, he goes absolutely nuts and refuses to settle. He'll bark non-stop at my partner, cry, jump at the pen, pace, and be a total nightmare for him. I never see this side of him because it doesn't happen when I'm around.

Has anyone experienced this before and found a way to work around it? The dogs absolutely adore him and they listen to him, but I guess when I leave they turn into attention seeking gremlins. It really, really stresses him out and I'd love to give him options to help alleviate the stress. I've told him to crate and rotate, but they also act out in their crates even though they rarely do so when I'm home.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
What does your partner do when the barking and misbehavior occurs?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He either ignores it or crates them. He knows not to respond to it or feed the behaviour, which is why it surprises me that they do it. Our parrots used to be the exact same with him, too.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Mine definitely act different but they are more quiet. Unfortunately I've spent multiple days as inpatient in the last 3 years. They tend to ignore my husband socially, instead of staying in the living room where he is, they lay by the back door. I assume they are waiting for me to come home. They seem to know the difference between me being at work or in the hospital. I'm no help but wanted to let you know that our dog's behavior change also. What about if he were to do some obedience with them, do they engage differently then?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My female actually engages really nicely with him during obedience. He said that she’s acting like she misses me, but has settled into routine. It’s my male pup that seems to be the trouble maker and it’s ironic because normally he’s the best behaved out of the two.

I know that Ryka saw me pack my bags and she knows that when I use them I leave, so I can see that unsettling her. My male pup hasn’t been without me yet, so I’m curious if he’s just stressed out by it. My partner told me last night that he had the runs despite not having any treats or different food from normal.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Mine definitely act different but they are more quiet. Unfortunately I've spent multiple days as inpatient in the last 3 years. They tend to ignore my husband socially, instead of staying in the living room where he is, they lay by the back door. I assume they are waiting for me to come home. They seem to know the difference between me being at work or in the hospital. I'm no help but wanted to let you know that our dog's behavior change also. What about if he were to do some obedience with them, do they engage different

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
It's crazy how quick they pick up on clues and differences. I swear if I pick up my hiking boots they know we're camping soon. We just open the back of the truck and they jump in til we're hooked up and ready to go. Maybe this will wear off as he gets used to it. Buy him a new Kong and fill it to distract him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts