German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I own a 5 year old GSD who will be turning 6 in August. A week ago my family and I went out for a day and had our dog say in our fenced backyard. After staying out for about 7 ours, we finally came home. As I walked to the glass sliding door to let my dog in she was (not sure of the proper term for this) tied with my neighbors 3 years old GSD. Now, the weird and suspicious part is that I have no clue how that dog came in our yard. Their is no broken fences or dug up holes. My family members are actually considering the thought that the neighbor let him loose in my yard. I notified my neighbor and he didn't think much of it. In fact, he actually seem kind of pleased. Now here's where my questions begin...

Because this is her first pregnancy at this age, will she have any complications?

She is naturally a hyper and crazy dog who loves to run around and jump everywhere. She is a huge puppy even at the age of 6. I'm not sure if she would be a good mother. Do you believe instincts will kick in?

These are my two main questions. I believe I am able to care for the puppies, it's just her well being that frightens me. Mainly because of her age.

In fact, a few of my family members are telling me to spay her.

I just want to hear your guys opinions and see what you guys think.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Hello everyone,

I own a 5 year old GSD who will be turning 6 in August. A week ago my family and I went out for a day and had our dog say in our fenced backyard. After staying out for about 7 ours, we finally came home. As I walked to the glass sliding door to let my dog in she was (not sure of the proper term for this) tied with my neighbors 3 years old GSD. Now, the weird and suspicious part is that I have no clue how that dog came in our yard. Their is no broken fences or dug up holes. My family members are actually considering the thought that the neighbor let him loose in my yard. I notified my neighbor and he didn't think much of it. In fact, he actually seem kind of pleased. Now here's where my questions begin...

Because this is her first pregnancy at this age, will she have any complications?

She is naturally a hyper and crazy dog who loves to run around and jump everywhere. She is a huge puppy even at the age of 6. I'm not sure if she would be a good mother. Do you believe instincts will kick in?

These are my two main questions. I believe I am able to care for the puppies, it's just her well being that frightens me. Mainly because of her age.

In fact, a few of my family members are telling me to spay her.

I just want to hear your guys opinions and see what you guys think.
Can you tell me more about your dog? Where did you get her? Has she ever had her hips checked? What is she like around kids, cats, other dogs, strangers?
At the age of 6 she has been in heat before, why was she left outside? Who is this dog from next door?
Yes there could be complications. Depending on your dog, they could be serious. Are you willing to gamble with her life?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you tell me more about your dog? Where did you get her? Has she ever had her hips checked? What is she like around kids, cats, other dogs, strangers?
At the age of 6 she has been in heat before, why was she left outside? Who is this dog from next door?
Yes there could be complications. Depending on your dog, they could be serious. Are you willing to gamble with her life?
Hello,
Of course I can. I actually got her from a family friend when she was a puppy. She has not gotten her hips checked, but so far she is perfectly healthy. She loves cats. She was raised with cats throughout her short life. As for with dogs, she isn't a fan of smaller dogs like Chihuahuas but gets very excited when she she's one that is her height. She loves kids, a huge teddy bear, but when it comes to strangers she has her guard up, Once they get introduced she is a cuddle bug. Yes she has been in heat before, in-fact her most recent one was about 5 - 6 months ago.

As for the neighbors dog, he is your classic large Black and Tan. I'm not sure much about his past, but I however do know that he is papered if that makes a difference. I see my neighbors dog here and there on walks occasionally. He's a friendly big guy, other than that I don't know much.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
If it was me I would get her spayed right away. At 6 years old you could be looking at complications that could kill her. She does not need to have this litter and the risk to her health and well being is real.
If you are determined to have this litter, both male and female should be in for vet checks to insure he has no diseases he could have given her, and to insure that she is healthy as well.
Then you need to start making sure that you have a back up plan in case you lose her. Bottle feeding a litter every couple of hours is tiring, you will need help. Put aside money for an emergency C-section and find someone that can stay with her that knows about whelping, it can take a couple of hours or over 24, but if things go wrong you need to recognize it. You won't have long to save her. You have about 63 days to learn a lot.
Again if it was my dog, I would be getting her spayed. Like tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
If it was me I would get her spayed right away. At 6 years old you could be looking at complications that could kill her. She does not need to have this litter and the risk to her health and well being is real.
If you are determined to have this litter, both male and female should be in for vet checks to insure he has no diseases he could have given her, and to insure that she is healthy as well.
Then you need to start making sure that you have a back up plan in case you lose her. Bottle feeding a litter every couple of hours is tiring, you will need help. Put aside money for an emergency C-section and find someone that can stay with her that knows about whelping, it can take a couple of hours or over 24, but if things go wrong you need to recognize it. You won't have long to save her. You have about 63 days to learn a lot.
Again if it was my dog, I would be getting her spayed. Like tomorrow.
Me too, no doubt about it. There are too many unplanned and backyard bred puppies growing up/dying in shelters. Could this male dog have jumped the fence?

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
Have her checked out by the vet she is not to old to have puppies if she is healthy. If you want to have her spayed and not go through the pregnancy you will need to do it right away and that is only your decision.

·
Registered
31,102 Posts
They can medically induce an abortion. I don't know if that can be dangerous to the female. Discuss your options with your vet.

And I would be super enraged at your neighbor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The general consensus here is to spay her. I offer no opinion on that matter.

I am curious, however, how this happened. She's unspayed, you've had her for 5/6 years, you theoretically should be able to identify when she's in heat by now. You may have had valid reasons for not having her spayed (not sure what those would be) but why would you have left her unattended in the backyard? Especially knowing that there was an intact male RIGHT next door? There were other options that would have prevented this. Such as having a dog-walker come over mid day. Yeah, that costs money, but this litter/spay is likely to cost you MUCH more than the walker would have . . .

·
Registered
537 Posts
Since he didn't seem to upset I wonder if he thought you'd sell the puppies and split the profits or something.

Let him know that you spayed her as a pregnancy at her age could be life threatening. Might not be the whole truth but he doesn't need to know. And *maybe* he will think twice about setting his dog up on dates...

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Me too, no doubt about it. There are too many unplanned and backyard bred puppies growing up/dying in shelters. Could this male dog have jumped the fence?[/QUOTE]

That was my thought. I spent years preventing Bud from climbing/jumping fences. Your average 6 foot fence didn't even slow him down.

In this situation I have two distinct thoughts. An intact female should not have been left unsupervised, and neither should an intact male. At 6 years old a first litter should not be happening, perhaps with an experienced breeder and a good repro vet, but that is roughly the age when most breeders are starting to look at last litters not first ones.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
most likely he doesn't care because he knows that he isn't going to be the one with the increased food bill, increased vet charges, potential time off work if something goes badly, etc etc
it's most likely that the dog simply climbed the fence. Having her outside alone was a giant flare sent up screaming "COME AND GET IT!!" Being gone 7 hours you can't even guarantee that he's the only male who tied with her that day.
Since you obviously didn't plan to breed her, I would just go ahead and spay her.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
They can medically induce an abortion. I don't know if that can be dangerous to the female. Discuss your options with your vet.

And I would be super enraged at your neighbor.
I feel your pain. Glad you were able to catch them in the act. Now you know what has happened.

A medical induced abortion can be very dangerous. At this point, you have two options. One is to spay, and that needs to happen ASAP if that is your choice. Second option is to let her have the litter. If you choose the second, then locate a good repro vet and establish yourself as a client. Get an ultrasound done at 30 days to #1 confirm pregnancy and #2 get a possible puppy count. There are risks involved with any pregnancy, even in a young bitch. Your vet can go over these with you.

Simply looking at your dog can not tell you if the hips are okay. There are other genetic issues that GSD's can have and great breeders test before breeding. Please let us know what course of action you choose. We are here for you.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
SPAY!

In the region I live in, hundreds of purebred GSDs from breedings just like these end up in shelters and die. There aren't enough spots in rescue for them all when the home placements don't work out -- and not all of the home placements will work out. Stuff happens -- nice young couples have babies allergic to dogs a few years later, or they move and don't want to take the dog, or they realize GSD puppies are just too much work when they become out-of-control 80 pound adolescents.

Puppy buyers don't necessarily call you to tell you they're getting rid of the grown-up dog -- they just take it to the shelter and are done with it, or they sell it on Craigslist, and maybe the dog gets flipped a few more times, and then ends up in the shelter sick, flea-ridden, with heartworms.

Even if they do call you, if you have a litter of say 7 pups, think about the aggravation of dealing with rehoming one or more of the pups you whelped in 3, 4, 5 years from now, when their owners show up on your doorstep and say "we don't want the dog any more--here!"

A litter of pups is a responsibility that goes for their entire lives -- if you bring them into the world and your placements don't work out, you must be their safety net to keep them from horrible outcomes. Ethical breeders do this! If you aren't ready to make this kind of 10-14 year commitment to be there for whatever comes for these dogs when they grow up and your buyers flake out, please don't breed.

There's no ethical breeder on this site who hasn't had at least one come back, and some of the best of them have worked hard to get one or more that they sold back as adults when they knew the dog wasn't in a good situation. They keep caring even after the pup goes home, they follow up with buyers and provide support, and they know where every one of their pups is. That's a lot of time and dedication to commit to for an "oops" litter.

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
Spay her and insist that the neighbor pay 1/2 the cost.

And 6 yo GSDs do not need to be let out for an absense of 7 hours - they sleep through the night at this age! My intact bitches do not go outside without direct supervision when they are in heat.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts