German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In April 2020, my 2 yr old German Shepherd refused to eat and drink. She acted normal when she was outside and was lethargic when she was inside. We couldn't make her eat but we were syringing water down her throat to keep her hydrated. My dad found some Amoxicillin left over when my sister was sick a month prior. We gave it to her and with in a week she was almost back to her oldself. She was still a bit picky about her food once in awhile but otherwise she ate it just fine. At the end of May 2020, she had a relapse except it was worse than before. She wouldn't eat or drink. She has never ran a fever, never vomited and no cough. We couldn't figure out what was wrong. She started to rapidly lose weight ( she didn't lose any weight the fist time), she got so weak she couldn't stand up and had labored breathing. We decided to take to the vet, since we had done everything we knew to do. The vet said she had a slight infection in the lungs, had major gas built up in her stomach and the lining in her stomach was a bit torn. (She likes to eat sticks, even if there is a bone in front of her). The vet gave us a months supply of Clav Amoxi and some other meds. A month later, she hasn't gotten worse but she hasn't gotten better, she'll eat a little bit but not a whole lot, she has no problem drink almost a full bowl of water. We've decided to run blood tests on her to hopefully get more efficient answers. Has anyone ever dealt with this before. Both our vet and my family are stumped as to why an active, healthy 2 yr old German Shepherd is having these issues. Please help.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Did you reach out to your breeder for help as well? What are the blood work results?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My shepherd ended up passing away a couple days ago. We did do a blood test, but the vets misread it and said she had kidney failure and they didn't know why. A friend of ours used to work at the hospital and he took one look at her results, he said she had poisoning. After some through investigation, we linked her death to a flea and tick medication we had given her back in April (when all her problems started). Unfortunately we couldn't connect the dots, we never thought a helpful preventative would kill her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts