German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I wear a cochlear implant, and am very close to being totally deaf without it. When I take it off at night, I can't hear the smoke alarm, alarm clock, phone, etc. So, I trained my dogs to alert me to them. It means I get woken up in the wee hours of the morning because the smoke alarm is doing the low battery beep... :rolleyes:

It's a very simple behaviour to train. I just hold a treat in my clenched hand, trigger the sound, then encourage the dog to nudge me to get the treat. Once they've got that part down pat, they have to do it while I'm lying in bed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Awesome, we are going to learn 'tall.' Ole just figured out how to stand up on his hind legs to look over snowbanks. I'll try to capture and reward the behavior.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
In redirecting Remi’s puppy biting he some how got the the idea that biting us was part of the sequence. So essentially he would run up and bite one of us, run off to grab a toy and return with it to play tug. Poor timing on our part is most likely to blame, but who knows, he certainly enjoyed biting us far more than any of the others.

·
Super Moderator
4,618 Posts
I had a dog that could bark any requested number from 1 to 5. I don't know what she saw as her cue since we tried not to make any physical signals. It did win her a small town dog show prize.

My current dogs "help" with laundry. If I drop something on the way to the washing machine, they pick it up and bring it to me. Now I have to drop accidentally drop things on purpose. I have also taught them to "tell me a secret" which is a very quiet and soft vocalization. My bit-boy is better at it than my gal-dog. He gives me a very quiet woof. She gives me a very quiet whine. Very cute.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Oh so cute!!

Yea, so I had a timing issue or something too...
in the early days, when I came home with groceries, Rumo used to dash out of the kitchen door into the garage. I would put the groceries down in the kitchen and call him, and when he came in, I'd give him a treat. Ditto for when we wanted to call him in from the back yard. It worked great, but now he games the system. He'll dart out the door, stand right outside the door (making sure we can see him) and look in expectantly, waiting for us to call him in and give him a treat. It is such a weird behavior, but I guess it's logical from a dog viewpoint? :giggle:

·
Super Moderator
4,618 Posts
Oh so cute!!

Yea, so I had a timing issue or something too...
in the early days, when I came home with groceries, Rumo used to dash out of the kitchen door into the garage. I would put the groceries down in the kitchen and call him, and when he came in, I'd give him a treat. Ditto for when we wanted to call him in from the back yard. It worked great, but now he games the system. He'll dart out the door, stand right outside the door (making sure we can see him) and look in expectantly, waiting for us to call him in and give him a treat. It is such a weird behavior, but I guess it's logical from a dog viewpoint? :giggle:
reminds me of a comic I saw of a dog answer a phone at a call center. The dog was saying " your humans won't give you any treats? Have you tried going outside and coming back in again?"

21 - 26 of 26 Posts